Getting a 4.0 in a masters non thesis program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I always read about applicants who would graduate undergrad with like a 2.6 or 2.7 and would do a masters, get a 4.0, and get accepted into dental school.

I understand that they were probably more motivated to do well but is it that common to get a 4.0 in a masters program especially one in biology or biomedical sciences? I personally know quite a lot of students in my undergrad who would bust their butts every semester but would never get a 4.0. A 3.6 or 3.8 at most but never a 4.0 Please excuse my ignorance but how tough are these masters programs? What do you do besides take classes? Is it because the class sizes are smaller? I've been told that there are some "easy" classes in a masters class so you only focus on a handful of classes that are considered tough.

If anyone has complete a non thesis masters and have been accepted or currently in dental school, I would greatly appreciate your input! :)
Again, sorry for my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually those who fully understand that the masters is their last chance to prove themselves won't settle for anything less than a 4.0.... It is dependent on you if you're willing to put in the time and effort to prove to adcoms that you are ready for dental school.

I mean every program is different so no one can tell you if that program will be harder than others. This is your last chance and it will be "tough". Give it your all and dont let yourself not get a 4.0

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 4.0 in an online Master of Science in Environmental Sciences through an accredited, but unimpressive school. It wasn't for dental school but because the military expects it's officers to do this for career progression.

Now that I am applying to dental school I'm glad I have it. It was far easier than tougher undergrad work and gives me a huge overall GPA boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm basically the person you described, OP, except my undergrad GPA was a 3.15. And it's hard to comment on this because every program is different, but I know for my two year masters (non-thesis) in biology, the level of difficulty was on par with undergrad as far as classes go. My program was designed for part-time students/adults who also work during school, so I used my extra time to do research in a lab here and I also worked as an ortho assistant. If you have free time in whatever program you consider, make sure you fill it with valuable activities that'll look great when you apply and will show that you've had to manage your time effectively although the credit load may be less than undergrad.

Last edited:
I got a 4.0 in an online Master of Science in Environmental Sciences through an accredited, but unimpressive school. It wasn't for dental school but because the military expects it's officers to do this for career progression.

Now that I am applying to dental school I'm glad I have it. It was far easier than tougher undergrad work and gives me a huge overall GPA boost.

Wow nice!
But I thought a masters program could not boost your undergraduate GPA?

I'm basically the person you described, OP, except my undergrad GPA was a 3.15. And it's hard to comment on this because every program is different, but I know for my two year masters (non-thesis) in biology, the level of difficulty was on par with undergrad as far as classes go. My program was designed for part-time students/adults who also work during school, so I used my extra time to do research in a lab here and I also worked as an ortho assistant. If you have free time in whatever program you consider, make sure you fill it with valuable activities that'll look great when you apply and will show that you've had to manage your time effectively although the credit load may be less than undergrad.

I see! Thank you for responding.
Just one question.
Do adcoms expect you to get a 4.0 in a masters program? I feel like that is what everyone has been telling me on here but if you think about it, wouldn't a 3.6 or 3.7gpa in a masters program look really impressive as well?

If you keep selling yourself short, you will always end up short. Say you are going to get a 4.0 and then go do it.

I see! Thank you for responding.
Just one question.
Do adcoms expect you to get a 4.0 in a masters program? I feel like that is what everyone has been telling me on here but if you think about it, wouldn't a 3.6 or 3.7gpa in a masters program look really impressive as well?

It's all very situational. I got in with a 3.82. I'm sure that your DAT score plays a large role in determining if your graduate GPA is acceptable.

I don't want to talk about my personal situation too much, but my Masters program in a completely different field was hard as hell. The reason I was able to come out with a 3.73 GPA (vs. < 2.75 in undergrad), was because I'd had a little experience with a real job, and I knew how to go head down and bull through problems.

I think everybody has done a survey of biochemistry course, where the professors just turn on the firehose and you drink whatever you can drink. Well, nearly every class in my program was like that. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I also made an A+ in biochem. I can definitely see the benefit of programs that are a little above your avg. undergrad science curriculum, but I didn't want anyone coming away thinking they were all like that.

I don't want to talk about my personal situation too much, but my Masters program in a completely different field was hard as hell. The reason I was able to come out with a 3.73 GPA (vs. < 2.75 in undergrad), was because I'd had a little experience with a real job, and I knew how to go head down and bull through problems.

I think everybody has done a survey of biochemistry course, where the professors just turn on the firehose and you drink whatever you can drink. Well, nearly every class in my program was like that. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I also made an A+ in biochem. I can definitely see the benefit of programs that are a little above your avg. undergrad science curriculum, but I didn't want anyone coming away thinking they were all like that.

What was your masters in if you don't mind me asking?