Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I'm currently flirting with a 4.0 GPA this semester, as a post-bac student, and while I've done well before I've never posted a 4.0 for the semester. Nor have I ever felt like I had a legitimate chance at getting one, in any particular semester.

But right now, if the semester ended today I would have it. However, I find it much harder to maintain an A, in every class, than it is to improve a B+ or A- to an A. How do you stay motivated? I feel like I'm on the defensive trying not to lose it, when typically I've been on the offensive trying to get it, which makes studying a lot easier.

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
How did I stay motivated? I stayed motivated because I was a winner. I was never satisfied with anything less than that 4.0.

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
But right now, if the semester ended today I would have it. However, I find it much harder to maintain an A, in every class, than it is to improve a B+ or A- to an A. How do you stay motivated? I feel like I'm on the defensive trying not to lose it, when typically I've been on the offensive trying to get it, which makes studying a lot easier.
W.W.A.D.

What would Augustus do?

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
It depends on the person. Some people guard their 4.0 with their life (me), and some people are a bit more lenient. I give every single assignment/test/quiz my 120% as if my life counted on it ( I know dramatic, but that's my point).

It comes down to how badly you want it.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
I hear you.

I started the semester pretty solidly by getting A's in everything. As the semester went on, I upped my studying, yet somehow, my exam/quiz scores have been creeping down to a B. It's frustrating, because I'm not burnt out; in fact, I'm more motivated than at the beginning. Also, the material isn't getting that much harder, so I don't know what's up with me. . .

PreMedder

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Trexate

Competitive Inhibitor
Apr 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
How did I stay motivated? I stayed motivated because I was a winner. I was never satisfied with anything less than that 4.0.
:vomit:

Now scrape the fungus from my toes and clip my ingrown nails!

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist

I find this funny coming from a pre-med student. What exactly have you accomplished so far, son?

I'm out there changing people's lives and earning money for my family.

pooghe

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Even though this guy is a troll there is something we can learn. It is all attitude. The person who truly wants the 4.0 works for it with all their might. Office hours start at 9:00, were you there at 8:50 behind the door? You have two tests tomorrow. Did you start studying yesterday or were you organized enough to have planned ahead of time and been on top of things. Once you finished every single problem in your book did you go to the library and checkout another textbook and do all the problems in that one? You get the idea. Doing all this might seem extreme and it is. But those who don't are the ones who end up with a 3.6-3.8. Nothing wrong with those GPAs but they aren't 4.0s. It's important to some and not so important for others. So just keep asking yourself, how bad do you want it. The answer will be what gives you the motivation to keep the 4.0

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical

This just goes to show there are plenty of haters out there, especially on the internet. Just keep your game tight and don't letter people like this get in your head b/c they are just doing their job. A haters job is to hate, so let them.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Actually, I worked my hardest at the beginning of the semester so that I wouldn't have to work as hard at the end of the semester. At least, for my science classes. Before finals, I'd figure out what I'd need on the tests to keep my A, and it was usually a 50% or so.

My last history class killed me. We had to write a bunch of essays for the final, and I was so burnt out that I kinda just word vomited on the page, and my grade suffered as a result. Ah well.

IH8ColdWeath3r

7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yup gotta agree, I work my hardest at the beginning so that I don't go into finals needing high grades on all my finals in all my science classes...perfect recipe for slipping up and getting a B on one of when in fact you could have pulled the A.

Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone FWIW I blew my 4.0 during finals. 5 A's, 1 A- (embarrassing because its in my lowest level course).

GPA: 3.95

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2010
Stuck in cold weather....
Status
Pre-Medical

Hey guys dont worry this premed will flunk out and wish he had pod money.:cool: