Getting a Better Job and Preparing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjoneskufi

Reaction score
I have a job offer for a $50,000+ a year job. I’m tempted to take this job but there is a 3-4 year commitment.

I still want to go to medical school but I need to retake the MCAT, complete an SMP and reapply. If in were to work a job for 3-4 years, how would I prepare my application. My job would pay for a masters but not an smp so there’s that. If I take the job, how should I improve my application while working?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming this job is full-time? If so, I would opt for something more flexible. I'm not sure what an SMP is but the MCAT alone requires a lot of dedicated study time. I'm working a full-time job right now and I cannot even fathom being able to study for the MCAT after a day of work. Personally, I would find it hard to stay motivated but that's just me. To each his own I suppose.

I may also explore seeing how strict the 3-4 year commitment is. That is quite a long time! Regardless of whether you go into medicine and take the MCAT, being able to have mobility is important to grow and I'd think carefully about such a job commitment. Most places I've seen have 2 year commitments, and those are typically coupled to the employer paying for 2 years of schooling in return. Is that the sort of commitment you're facing?