Getting a C on my transcript right before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skeeks

Rural IM Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of you are fairly familiar with me, but just as a refresher I am applying this up coming cycle. My stats are as follows:

3.54 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
MCAT: 11PS, 10VR, 10BS (M)

>2,000 hrs of clinical experience (Over two years as a CNA at an assisted living home)
1,200hrs undergraduate literature research (with more over this summer this time in "wet lab" expereince) on an original research hypothesis authored by myself.
30hrs Shadowing a FM MD (with 30 more from an anesthesiologist coming before I apply)
~148 hrs of volunteer hours including soup kitchens, music leader for 12 and under age group at my church, assiting in an outreach program for children with cerebral palsy to take them on horseback riding lessons, and a week long trip to San Fransico helping the homeless working at a food distribution site and making care packets for the AIDs foundation.
Served a two year religious mission where I performed a minimum of 4hrs of community service a week totaling ~384hrs (not included in my above volunteer hours)
Helped start my school's chapter of Pre-SOMA (Student of Osteopathic Medicine Association) and served as Secretary for 4 months.
National and local member of AMSA (American Medical Student Association) chapter at my school for 3 years and served as secretary for this last academic year.
Tutored in a program here on campus that caters to underserved population for two years.
Nontraditional student: married with two children.
I have great LORs

Ok I think that includes everything without rambling unnecessarily. My question is this:

I was hoping to do quite well this semester, but I have had a few things make it very difficult and I am going to end up with a C grade on my transcript for this semester. This will be the first C I have received in the past three years. My lowest grade after this one in that time period was from this last summer and it was a B in physics II.

This class is not a prereq for medical school (its a Micro 3305 class called medical microbiology).

Anyway, long story short my wife and I had our second baby this semester (which we planned) but a week after he was born he got RSV and was in the hospital for a week on oxygen and a feeding tube. That made it really hard for my second test in this class, I also took all of spring break off for the service trip to San Fransico (which I only mention because it hampered my ability to catch up in this class, but again my choice). I did this because I knew I wouldn't be able to fit in a lot of service this semester because I have been working two jobs totaling over 40hrs a week to keep my family above water while my wife is at home caring for our new baby, all the while I am taking 13 credit hours of classes.

Please dont misunderstand I am not whining about any of this, its just life and I know it, but I want to know if I have shot my chances for an MD school. My GPA stated above takes into account my GPA after the C goes on my transcript, and just to let you know I will get solid A's in my other three classes.

The thing is I feel the circumstances of this semester allow me to explain my grade fairly well, but I am concerned that I may not get a chance of an interview with MD schools with the glaring C and ding on my GPA. What do you guys think? Should I just save the money and apply only to DO schools? Will DO schools still give me a chance? I realize how troubling a downward grade trend looks and thats what scares me most. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most of you are fairly familiar with me, but just as a refresher I am applying this up coming cycle. My stats are as follows:

3.54 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
Your GPA and MCAT are below avg for many MD programs but fine for any DO school. I don't think one C is going to hurt you. Better to address how you became a new dad, the challenges it entailed but what you gained from it.

I was hoping to do quite well this semester, but I have had a few things make it very difficult and I am going to end up with a C grade on my transcript for this semester.

Nope. Stick with low-mid tier schools, and your state school, depending upon where you live.

I want to know if I have shot my chances for an MD school.

3.54 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
Your GPA and MCAT are below avg for many MD programs but fine for any DO school. I don't think one C is going to hurt you. Better to address how you became a new dad, the challenges it entailed but what you gained from it.

I was hoping to do quite well this semester, but I have had a few things make it very difficult and I am going to end up with a C grade on my transcript for this semester.

Nope. Stick with low-mid tier schools, and your state school, depending upon where you live.

I want to know if I have shot my chances for an MD school.

Thanks Goro. Its always comforting to hear your opinion.

My state school is U of U, thats what kinda scares me. I figured before this class (with a projected 3.6 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA) that my chances were slim at the U, now I think it'd take a miracle. I'll apply early and broadly and to the lower tiers I can find, thanks for your insight!