PhD/PsyD Getting a Cognitive neuroscience Master's before Psyd/PhD. Yay or Nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroscEYEnce

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some career advice. I live near a great university and can possibly obtain a master’s degree in Psychology with a concentration in cognitive and behavioral neuroscience before entering a doctorate degree to become a Psychologist. There are a few reasons why I’m set on this school. Mainly because my job will pay for some of it, it’s close to home, and I went there for undergrad so I know some faculty there which always helps. Also, the reason I want to do a master’s is because it’s been a while since I’ve been in school, I MUST boost my GPA, and need to show more autonomy in my research experience.

My ultimate goal is to become a clinical psychologist and researcher. Is this a good route? Will admissions people look favorably on cog neuro master's? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
People who need to repair their GPAs often find it helpful to complete a master's degree before applying for a PhD program, so in general I think it's a fine idea. That you won't have to pay 100% of the tuition makes it an even better one. If you have the choice, choose to complete a thesis, and try to work with someone who is doing human subjects research.