Getting a "D"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmocist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a "D" in a non prerequisite class. Should I retake the class?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a D in accounting. I am definitely not retaking it. If it has nothing to do with pharmacy, I don't believe there is a point to improve it.

Do not waste your time retaking if it is not a prereq course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools require you to recieve a C or higher on PreReqs. The rest is up to you.

Depends on subject i guess. I got a D in Immunology, then I retook it (and got A) although it was not required for my degree nor a prerequisite. In one of my interviews, a professor did ask me why that happened, and whatever reason I said, my second grade (A) was my best back up showing that I really wanted to learn. Just my personal experience...

FYI, some schools will calculate a cumulative gpa, so you may want to consider retaking that class.

Yes, you should. Nobody who is serious about applying to a professional institution is ok with D's.

Last edited:
If the D is hurting your cumulative GPA much then I would retake it, otherwise forget about it and move on.

Do courses have to be retaken at the same college you got the D at?? I'm wondering if I need to retake an interpersonal communication course I failed about seven years ago. I later took intro to speech communication (which isn't exactly the same thing) and got an A at a different school. I really don't want to retake this class but I'm thinking I may have to :(.

I would probably take it again.

Before I decided on pharmacy I took Intro to Visual Arts and got a D. I retook it. I got another D. Who knew. That was 1996. Now, at 31, I'd say in terms of pharmacy it made no difference whatsoever. Of course by the time I applied I had a BS and 200+ units, so GPA at that point was over 3.5.
Not sure how your situation compares, but I'd say let it go unless it was a science and even then, it may not be worth it depending where you are in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You got a "D" in a pre-req class, have you finished the other classes in time to be able to re-take it? If yes, then yeah man do it. I have taken EVERY class I got a bad grade in and received an A. "SOME" schools "remove' that grade from your transcript, some just keep both. If you are transferring to a university from a CC, they just transfer the one grade from each course. I wish you the best, just contact the school of your choice and find out the rules for that.

You got a "D" in a pre-req class, have you finished the other classes in time to be able to re-take it? If yes, then yeah man do it. I have taken EVERY class I got a bad grade in and received an A. "SOME" schools "remove' that grade from your transcript, some just keep both. If you are transferring to a university from a CC, they just transfer the one grade from each course. I wish you the best, just contact the school of your choice and find out the rules for that.

But you're also a B****, so the OP has an advantage there. ZING

But you're also a B****, so the OP has an advantage there. ZING

I hate you. Hopefully the mods blow your ass up like afganistan.

I bet the mods will think your serious and you get a warning you "tool box". lol

I hate you. Hopefully the mods blow your ass up like afganistan.

I bet the mods will think your serious and you get a warning you "tool box". lol

You're.

Budlight is not an excuse for 4th grade mishaps you bastard, I don't care how many you've had. The mods undoubtably have considered throwing me to the wolves, which is unfortunate, because I scream it like it is. In reality, I should be hired as a mod myself. Mods--My resume' is one step away. *cough* I'm a superior son-of-a b****.

You're.

Budlight is not an excuse for 4th grade mishaps you bastard, I don't care how many you've had. The mods undoubtably have considered throwing me to the wolves, which is unfortunate, because I scream it like it is. In reality, I should be hired as a mod myself. Mods--My resume' is one step away. *cough* I'm a superior son-of-a b****.

But what if the "nuber" of budlights exceeds the "nuber" of fingers and toes I have.... is that 20?

i think budlight screams bad spelling. probably cause coors light is for douche bags that dont know how to type to begin with. i have no idea what i just said.... Bud you should totally be a mod. I second that motion, despite you being a complete ass hole.

But what if the "nuber" of budlights exceeds the "nuber" of fingers and toes I have.... is that 20?

i think budlight screams bad spelling. probably cause coors light is for douche bags that dont know how to type to begin with. i have no idea what i just said.... Bud you should totally be a mod. I second that motion, despite you being a complete ass hole.

PrepharmKID, you have deviated from the topic at hand (you ass-clown); however, I will third (is that a valid motion?) my stance on becoming a moderator by saying I can read and write and would like to put myself forth in the application process. All those in favor say IIIIIIIIII...

PrepharmKID, you have deviated from the topic at hand (you ass-clown); however, I will third (is that a valid motion?) my stance on becoming a moderator by saying I can read and write and would like to put myself forth in the application process. All those in favor say IIIIIIIIII...

Dont you have to be a member for a certain amount of time? i think the "faq section" mentions that. maybe a few more helpful posts and you'll be discovered.

Last edited:
OK, now that the booze has worn off you two can stop arguing.

We aren't arguing. We dabble in the art of the jester (except for my qualifications of being a moderator...You know it's only a matter of time RxWildcat).

def not arguing. woke up today right when i was supposed to be in one of my finals. didn't have to pass it, but i did. time to pass out for like 10 hours....

Just like what they mentioned above if it´s really not necessary and won´t affect your gpa then you can just not take it at all. If you think it will probably increase your gpa even a bit or if you´re OCD about learning the stuff and up for another challenge, go re-take it. I think it could be easier the second time around since you have the materials etc.

But yeah I would worry more how to explain it on the supplementals since the damage is done. Usually they would ask to explain your bad grade and what did you do about it. If you re-take it, you´ll have an easier explaination than if you didn´t.