Getting a good Retina Fellowship - What matters ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retinaresearch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All

I would like some input on what matters to get a good retina fellowship

I am a foriegn medical graduate who has done a residency and retina training in a foriegn country

I am presently in a resdiency in the US. It is not a "big name program"

I have fair amount of research, I can get good letters (I think) and I have good OKAP scores. What else can I do or should do to make my application more competitive.

How much is being a FMG and also not coming from a high power program be a negative for me.:(

How much research matters ?
How important are OKAP scores ?

I really appreciate any input or advice

Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All

I would like some input on what matters to get a good retina fellowship

I am a foriegn medical graduate who has done a residency and retina training in a foriegn country

I am presently in a resdiency in the US. It is not a "big name program"

I have fair amount of research, I can get good letters (I think) and I have good OKAP scores. What else can I do or should do to make my application more competitive.

How much is being a FMG and also not coming from a high power program be a negative for me.:(

How much research matters ?
How important are OKAP scores ?

I really appreciate any input or advice

Thanks
:)

I didn't apply for retina, but my colleagues who did, found that:

1) It's who you know and the connections you've made during residency that counts;

2) Outstanding letters of recommendations from Retina Staff are very important;

3) Where you trained and your OKAP scores may be important at some programs;

4) Being a FMG is not much of an issue now because you've completed a US residency.

Good luck!

Dear retinaresearch,

Sorry for posting another question in response to your post. I am an img having done my residency in ophthalmology at my home country and passed usmle with good scores. I am trying to find research with somebody. Could you give me some suggestions? And would you like to elaborate your struggle to finally get into something as competitive? And which programs do you think are approachable for an img?