Getting a job with the state's DOH through an agency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yovee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. So I have been working as a pharmacist at an independent in Florida for 10+ years and lately it seems like business is getting worse so I am looking to jump ship. I applied for a position through a staffing agency that I later found out was for the state's department of health. Basically it is for a public health location that I guess serves low income individuals and dispensing HIV drugs, birth controls etc through public health programs. It's a temp placement for 3 months with an option for the manager to extend the contract. I mean I know I still have a way to go in the process but I am wondering if it is a good starting point to try to get a job with the state? I don't know if it is a common practice for the state to go through employment agency instead of hiring directly? I have searched the state's DOH website and they almost have no direct-hire positions for pharmacists.

I know every state is different but I am wondering if anybody has some experience with how the system works. The way I see it is that a 3 month period seems too short for an average employee to impress anyone enough to be considered for anything long term. I don't know what the working condition is for a state's public health facility either but I guess most pharmacists would want to stick around with them so it is also unlikely to find an opening in the near future.

Members don't see this ad.

My first question is why the 12 week opening? If you’re covering a leave, don’t get any hopes of getting hired. If you’re helping with increased workload or something of that nature then it’s a different story.

My first question is why the 12 week opening? If you’re covering a leave, don’t get any hopes of getting hired. If you’re helping with increased workload or something of that nature then it’s a different story.
Thank you! I will ask that during an interview. I guess I'll ask the hiring manager too to see if they usually hire someone after their stint with an agency.

I'm leaning toward what you said, they probably just need short term coverage. Otherwise I don't see why a state would have any problem hiring people directly.

Anything else for me to consider? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I will ask that during an interview. I guess I'll ask the hiring manager too to see if they usually hire someone after their stint with an agency.

I'm leaning toward what you said, they probably just need short term coverage. Otherwise I don't see why a state would have any problem hiring people directly.

Anything else for me to consider? Thanks for any advice!
On the same note I’d ask about future prospects for employment

Reactions: 1 user
thank you. Finally got an interview scheduled after more than a month of waiting. Anyone else cares to chime in with any advice or shares any experience working for public health in general? Much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user