Getting a Master or work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRNNHA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I should get into a one-year Master program for Biomedical Engineering and work half time or just work full time during the year of application. Any advice out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I have friends who pursued Masters before they applied to medical school thinking it might boost their chances. They didn't like it, and most of all, it didn't help their chances at all, since it's harder to get A's with all the hardcore graduate students around.

If you're intent on becoming a doctor, take this year off to do something related to medicine (unless you're blessed with excellent EC's already). I recommend that you do something that's lacking in your application. Didn't do enough volunteer work? Now it's a good time to start.

Working is good, but hopefully it's not a Burger King.

I also know someone who went into a Masters program and was accepted to Med School after completing his first year. The problem here is that the decision to pursue a MS vs. post-bacc vs. taking more undergrad courses has some variables. I'd suggest using the "search" function above and type in masters. You'll be able to read all the past messages about this subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, do what you think will make you happy. In the end, if you hated your master's program, then it will be almost worthless to you. If you think you will enjoy the master's and that it will be something that you could fall back on in the future, then go for it. I took this last semester off of school (okay, so I took one graduate level seminar course as a non-degree seeking grad), and I am glad for the time off of serious coursework. But in no way was a sitting around working at a Burger King. I felt very fulfilled during the semester teaching human anatomy/physiology labs at my undergrad college, and working in minority recruitment for my state medical school. I feel refreshed, and ready now to tackle my med school classes at the end of the summer. Another cool thing about my experience is that I had my schedule set up so that I only taught one day a week and my other job was very flexible. Basically, I had the luck of being able to leave at the drop of a hat to go to interviews, etc. If you are in a master's program or if you are working full time, make sure you will have the ability to take time off to attend all-important interviews and to be able to take the time to kick butt on all of your secondaries. The whole process is *very* time consuming. Also, make sure you have time for yourself and other ECs if you need them. Don't get burned out!

I agree with ellerose. Choose what makes you thrive and enjoy yourself the most. It defeats the purpose of studying for a master's degree when in fact you'd rather be working and financially prepare yourself for 4 years of being a student.

I personally chose to work right after my undergrad since my degree was in physical therapy. I really enjoyed working and gained some really valuable experience that gave me an incredible clinical exposure. By working on a medical floor along with a wide range of health care professionals, I gained a better understanding of different roles played by everyone in the team and acquainted some incredible people.