Getting a pet before vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently fostering two really amazing kittens. As in, the nicest ones I've ever had (and I've done close to 30 now). I'm thinking of keeping one of them, but am debating if it's going to be the right choice when vet school is (hopefully) looming? These guys are going to go really fast at the shelter, so I don't have to worry about them not getting adopted. I kind of want a buddy to bring along to vet school with me, but I also figure there are going to be plenty of pets I'm going to want to adopt in school, right? My only other hesitation is that my cat at home with my parents (who will remain at home when I leave) hates the kittens. I have no idea if she'll get better with them once they turn into real cats or not. So basically my question is: if you guys had a choice going into vet school with/without a pet, what would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely have to take my pets with me to vet school, I'd be wayy too lonely without a pet! Although at mizzou it would have been plenty easy to find someone to live with who had a pet if I wasn't bringing one. And as far as having pets at school that you'll want to adopt, I guess it depends on the school and what kind of involvement with adoption groups you will have, at mizzou where I'm going I don't think there's a whole lot of contact with those types of situations unless through outside clubs, etc.

Do you already know where you'll be living and everything and if they will allow pets? IMO a cat is the perfect pet for a busy student because they don't have to be let out during the day, can definitely entertain themselves when you are gone, but will love your company and can cuddle with you while you study when you are home. Much easier than a dog!

I am bringing one of my dogs and my cat, and then my roommate is also bringing a dog, so we will have a house full of pets! :D

I definitely have to take my pets with me to vet school, I'd be wayy too lonely without a pet! Although at mizzou it would have been plenty easy to find someone to live with who had a pet if I wasn't bringing one. And as far as having pets at school that you'll want to adopt, I guess it depends on the school and what kind of involvement with adoption groups you will have, at mizzou where I'm going I don't think there's a whole lot of contact with those types of situations unless through outside clubs, etc.

Do you already know where you'll be living and everything and if they will allow pets? IMO a cat is the perfect pet for a busy student because they don't have to be let out during the day, can definitely entertain themselves when you are gone, but will love your company and can cuddle with you while you study when you are home. Much easier than a dog!

I am bringing one of my dogs and my cat, and then my roommate is also bringing a dog, so we will have a house full of pets! :D

I'm applying this cycle, so actual knowledge is out at the moment. I think it's more just weighing the pro's/con's of if I should keep one of these precious beasts or if I should wait until I'm at school and adopt someone in need. I think I'm probably really going to want a kitty friend especially at first. I haven't kept any of my foster kittens yet, so I deserve one now, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
ooh ok I thought you were going to school this year!

haha and you totally deserve one :)

My hospital has a bunch of kittens that need adopting soo badly right now (as does everywhere I guess) and I keep wanting to take one but I know I can't :(

576703_3880321600983_1969760375_n.jpg

This one is my fave :D We named her cheese, because she cries all the time, as in "You want some cheese to go with that whine?" :laugh:

Regarding your cat liking/not liking your kitten: It's kind of impossible to say. I have two adult cats and when I adopted a kitten I was fostering, one of them initially rejected her but over time they became friends and today they frequently play together. My other cat still hates her and they regularly get into fights.
If you current cat never accepted your kitten, what would your plan be?

And you're right, there are shelters everywhere and I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for you to adopt amazing animals as a vet student. Do what's right for you!

Regarding your cat liking/not liking your kitten: It's kind of impossible to say. I have two adult cats and when I adopted a kitten I was fostering, one of them initially rejected her but over time they became friends and today they frequently play together. My other cat still hates her and they regularly get into fights.
If you current cat never accepted your kitten, what would your plan be?

And you're right, there are shelters everywhere and I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for you to adopt amazing animals as a vet student. Do what's right for you!

So at the moment, the kittens stay in my room unless they are supervised and then they have the first floor. Big kitty stays downstairs/in the backyard for the most part and just avoids them. I figure if all goes well and I get in this cycle, it's only going to be another year at home with both cats. So as long as they continue to just avoid each other and don't try to kill each other, I think it would be manageable. But obviously I wouldn't complain if they loved one another eventually!

To help you all make an educated opinion.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340056729736.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 108
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it! Do it! Do it!

In fact, I think that you should keep them both.

= decided. :-D You're welcome!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

In fact, I think that you should keep them both.

= decided. :-D You're welcome!

Haha, if it weren't for evil big cat (who is a terrible biotch mind you), I would totally keep both of them. The other one is the main one in my avatar. Obviously she's a lot bigger now :)

So I'm currently fostering two really amazing kittens. As in, the nicest ones I've ever had (and I've done close to 30 now). I'm thinking of keeping one of them, but am debating if it's going to be the right choice when vet school is (hopefully) looming? These guys are going to go really fast at the shelter, so I don't have to worry about them not getting adopted. I kind of want a buddy to bring along to vet school with me, but I also figure there are going to be plenty of pets I'm going to want to adopt in school, right? My only other hesitation is that my cat at home with my parents (who will remain at home when I leave) hates the kittens. I have no idea if she'll get better with them once they turn into real cats or not. So basically my question is: if you guys had a choice going into vet school with/without a pet, what would you choose?

there will always be animals in need of rescuing and in need of a home. if you want a kitten monster, then adopt one :) if you're not all that attached, then hold off. make your decision based on right here, right now because you never can quite predict what the future holds! kittens sure are cute though!!!

It seems there are a ton more apartments (at least in Columbus) that allow cats than those that allow dogs, so I say if you like her and want to take a pet with you, she's a good choice. I have a dog and I'm taking him when I move. I agree a cat would be easier, but I'm not a cat fan and luckilly I have a laid back dog who will sleep most of the day :).

Well we'll see! I should probably give them up later this week if I'm not going to keep one. SIGH!

This one is my fave :D We named her cheese, because she cries all the time, as in "You want some cheese to go with that whine?" :laugh:

ooooooh myyyyyyy goooooodddddddd so fricken cute. please adopt one! I want to adopt a cat so bad but I'm moving in with my bf during our year off and he's severely allergic. :smack:

I'd say, go for it! If you get in this cycle(and hopefully, you will!!), you will still have a whole year for your cats to get used to each other, before moving. Eventually, your older cat should at least accept the kitten. May not love it :laugh:, but hopefully accept.

I would say adopt them both. But, keep this in mind. There are more and more apartments accepting cats, but they will max you at 2. Having 3 cats greatly limits your living choices. Which I think is ridiculous, but that's how it is.

Didn't she say the old cat is staying with her mom anyways?

Fat cat is staying home with my parents when I leave so that's not so much of an issue. I don't think I'll keep both though because of the big cat issue. Plus I don't think my parents would like having two more even if it's only temporary.

I vote to keep her. She's stinkin' cute. :D

She looks like willow when she was a kitten :love:

About the older cat... I have five (I swear I'm not a crazy, it just happened to go that way). I brought two kittens home total: willow first year, piper the next (I'm taking willow and mom wanted a calico). Did the top cat like this? Hells no. Have they all dealt with it? I think so. They respect each other's space, and we give all of them equal attention. I think as long as you have enough space for each cat, they will learn to coexist.

So I think this is my plan: one of the wildlife rehabbers I work with is interested in my orange kitten. I'm going to have her "babysit" for me for the weekend to convince her husband. So maybe if she takes her than I'll keep the calico. Or I might just keep her anyways... Hehe! I love her :)

You should keep her!

I want to get a dog hopefully the summer before vet school starts.

Keeping her! She needs a name, currently it is Mini Purr. I am not creative haha.
I think she needs a P name.
How do we feel about Pangea? I can't decide if that's more of a boy's name. I want something nerdy though for sure.

Yay! I think you should name him Pippin :)

I think you should name her Placebo! No! Plasmid! No! Polymer! No! Pili! No! Plexus!
Placebo's cute. :laugh:

Nerdy, huh? Polyglot. :) Cats are all fluent in Cat noises, Cat body language, and Cat making-humans-do-what-I-want.

Edit: And for non-nerdy, but cute: Persimmon.

Just kidding! Totally naming her Inara. Firefly anyone?

Friend from high school totally named her dogs Simon and River. :)

I loveeeeee Firefly! I should rewatch it again. Best show ever for anyone who has never seen it. I don't generally like sci-fi so I didn't think I was going to like it. But basically it's a sci-fi western. Like space pirates/cowboys. Not sure how you can go wrong there...

Just kidding! Totally naming her Inara. Firefly anyone?
So weird that you brought up Firefly. I have never seen it, but on Sunday I went to a charity event for Equality Now that a friend of mine was hosting and they were showing Serenity. I went thinking that the film for the evening would be a documentary about the work Equality Now does and ended up watching something quite different ;) I really liked the movie and am totally going to watch the show on DVD or Netflix.

And I also vote to keep the kitten or kittens :thumbup:
pros: cute kittens, then cute cats
remembering why you're in vet school to begin with
visual aids for anatomy lectures, practice aids for palpation, restraint etc...
comic relief
someone to talk to that may think you're crazy but can't talk back
getting a kitten now, when you have actual free time to bond with it vs waiting till school starts and you have none

cons: medical expenses
litter boxes
people with severe cat allergies can't visit your house
travel is more difficult/expensive if you board or pay a pet sitter

Or Jane. Come on. Who doesnt like a totally female name for a totally muscled out dude?!?!

Interesting fact: the actor played in an episode of castle with Nathan fillion! Sigh :love:

LOL Placebo was my favorite

(We have a lot of Pipers at my hospital but that could be a geographic thing lol)

Awwwww my cats named piper. Thought it was totally unique and better than pippa.

You are such a forum nazi!!!! Or just mean to me :( always correcting my posts he he!

Or Jane. Come on. Who doesnt like a totally female name for a totally muscled out dude?!?!

Interesting fact: the actor played in an episode of castle with Nathan fillion! Sigh :love:
Even more interesting fact: The actor lives in Montecito, and visits that damn Starbucks (the one Oprah visits) And he was in Independence Day, in uniform, no less!

And I totally don't stalk him, I dropped by the Starbucks while on lunch from my HazMat class at Montecito Fire.

You are such a forum nazi!!!! Or just mean to me :( always correcting my posts he he!
I believe you'll find that Emiloo is the official pre-vet bully. I correct because I love. :love: Ask cuit, I do it to them all the time at home. Also, teacherly instincts. :oops: