Getting a rate better than 6.8% for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ialwayslose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering what options there were out there for taking out loans that were not subsidized by the government. I filled out an application through Sallie Mae today, but it looks like they wouldn't be able to beat the 6.8% margin by much, even with a cosigner. Bank of America said they had nothing for me, unless I were to do it through a credit card.

Has anyone else thought of any creative ways to get loan money for med school? Home equity, line of credit, etc.

I'm just looking at any possible options, public or private, cosigner or not, that might help me beat the 6.8% rate.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The days of cheap money are long gone for medical students. We have to take 6.8% and like it.

I have looked everywhere, every possible option, 6.8% is all I can find:confused:

Home Equity loan plus death disability insurance is about the only other option. And most medical students don't have access to any home equity.