Getting a rec letter from someone who does not speak perfect English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partlycloudy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be applying for a few HPM programs for fall admission next year. I currently work in a lab, and want to ask my supervisor for a recommendation letter. I'm quite sure he would give me a good reference, the only issue is that his English is...less than stellar. Has anyone else ever faced this dilemma? I'm not sure what do to, because of everyone here he knows me the best, so I'd prefer a letter from him over anyone else. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

How "less than stellar" is his English? Perhaps he can have someone else (e.g. a graduate research assistant) help write and he can sign off on it. In any case, you will have 2 other letters. So I wouldn't leave out your most important connection.

I agree that you should ask him, and I also agree that if it's that bad, maybe someone can help him out, or proofread it (gently, as to not make him feel bad, maybe?)

I work in an admissions office, although not to a school anyone here would likely be applying to. (I also only process things, I don't make decisions) but I've never seen someone look down on an applicant (or their recommender) because of a language issue if English is not their first language--I assume, and hope, that this is pretty much true at every school.

Good luck! :)