Getting a secondary means what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A DO told me that receiving a secondary means that you've got roughly a 1 in 3 chance of getting in to that particular school. In other words, it's the first hurdle. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

It PROBABLY means that ONLY if they initially screen. Most schools nowadays don't and so everyone has an equal chance of receiving a secondary. If the particular school you're talking about screens then it's great that you got a secondary from them. It means that you passed their minimum standards. Good luck!

I don't think it is a one in three chance at all. Most schools send secondaries to everyone who they receive primaries from. It is called, "give me more of your damn money and send us some letters". Other schools screen applicants based on gpa, mcat, personal statement, background, etc and only send secondaries to less than half of their original applicant pool. I know that UCSF narrowed its applicant pool from around 4500 to 1400-1500 by looking at the above mentioned factors. So, 1400-1500 received secondaries. Out of those, around 500 are interviewed. So, if you get a secondary you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting an interview. Once interviewed, about 200 of the 500 are given outright acceptances. Most of the UC's work this way as well, but start off with different numbers. Stanford also heavily screens. Their interview pool is smaller than UCSF's, but I think I remember that they sent a similar amount of secondaries.

Bottom line..a secondary does not mean you have a 1 in 3 chance at all, but if they screen it is a really good sign. Your chance of acceptance has increased quite a bit..at this point, you can't ask for much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that this was the pre-osteo forum. I checked the current postings and didn't bother to look. So, don't listen to what I wrote too much, b/c I don't know that much about the application process for osteopathic schools. I do know that..secondaries can never hurt! I wish you the best of luck.

I'm of the opinion that it's "give me more of your money" than, "congratulations, you've passed the first hurdle!". The last time I applied to medical school (1993), I received a LOT of secondaries despite what I thought was just an average application (at least in terms of GPA and MCAT). That made me a bit suspicious and more reluctant to send off secondaries to some schools that also required $50 or whatever.

I sent an e-mail to the person at Western who contacted me and asked if I was special since I received a secondary. If she replies, I'll let everone know.

If the supplementary (secondary) application is online, then that means that they do not screen and that everyone can fill it out. I think that most DO schools don't screen. The only one that I can think of that does is the one in Texas.

Hey Toejam, NUgirl is right. However, whatever the case maybe, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

TUCOM screens the primarys as well. I have just recieved secondaries from western, and msu. From what it looks like, they send them off to everyone interested. msu, said that only %20 of the secondaries are even reviewed by the admissions committee. the rest are put aside due to sub par standards.

So cal,
Do you know of any other schools that only look at the above par secondaries? I think it is only fair, that if they let you send it in, then you should at least have a chance at getting it looked at. I know nothung is fair in this process so I should stop whining, but if you know of any other schools that don't even look at all the other secondaries then I would love to know. Thanks!

I dont know for sure, but would assume that most schools operate this way. Many times, secondaries are sent out to all those whom are interested in the school {why not? they know you are interested, and they can get more money} I would think that many schools have a system in place, to sort out the secondaries with potential interview status, from those that are below what the school would consider for an interview. This is just an assumption...but I know michigan does this for sure...they flat out tell you in your secondary app. info. packet. good luck...hope this helps