Getting a "W" on my transcript.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take the "W" or take the C?

• Take the "W"

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Take the C

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters

PreMedStudent92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st semester Freshman this year and it looks like I will be getting no higher than a C in the class. It's not required for my major, it was just one of the "core" classes that I needed to take (the class was a music class).

So I was wondering, if I am getting a C, should I get a "W" and drop the class (because it has nothing to do with my major), or should I just stick to the C on my transcript? If I were to drop, how bad do "W's" look on my transcript?

I'm just starting undergrad and I don't know a lot. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 1st semester Freshman this year and it looks like I will be getting no higher than a C in the class. It's not required for my major, it was just one of the "core" classes that I needed to take (the class was a music class).

So I was wondering, if I am getting a C, should I get a "W" and drop the class (because it has nothing to do with my major), or should I just stick to the C on my transcript? If I were to drop, how bad do "W's" look on my transcript?

Take the C. W's would have the potential to raise more questions than a random C in a non-pre-req, imo. Just identify why you did poorly, and make sure you keep your grades higher from now on, even in the random classes that have nothing to do with med school or your major. Good luck.

Take the C. W's would have the potential to raise more questions than a random C in a non-pre-req, imo. Just identify why you did poorly, and make sure you keep your grades higher from now on, even in the random classes that have nothing to do with med school or your major. Good luck.

I thought about it but wouldn't it be easier to explain why I got a "W" in a non-required class? For example, "it was a difficult class and I was not very interested in music. I wanted to take something more interesting and focus more on classes for my major."

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about it but wouldn't it be easier to explain why I got a "W" in a non-required class? For example, "it was a difficult class and I was not very interested in music. I wanted to take something more interesting and focus more on classes for my major."

No offense, but how is a music class difficult? I've taken many in high school and college, and while I'm not interested in a lot of what they make you listen to, it was no means difficult, at least in comparison to some pre-med courses. That might look weird. Just my opinion.

Similar situation here; really tough Communications class (well, the professor has a bad grading scale), I'm just toughing it out and hoping it may get better at the end.

I have a 'W' on my transcript for a linguistics class I dropped junior year, and I never retook the class. I've attended two interviews already, and the 'W' was never brought up.

One of my interviewers told me my grades were 'fine'. The rest of the time was dedicated to explaining my activities. As long as your other grades are decent it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I have a 'W' on my transcript for a linguistics class I dropped junior year, and I never retook the class. I've attended two interviews already, and the 'W' was never brought up.

One of my interviewers told me my grades were 'fine'. The rest of the time was dedicated to explaining my activities. As long as your other grades are decent it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Exactly. also....it is easier to have a reason for a W in a non prereq. A W in a prereq indicates you were scared of the grade. Pass off the W as the class not being what you anticipated.

I withdrew from a class with a B and easy prospects of an A. It just totally was not as advertised (Intro to New Testament)

I had two W's freshman year, in the same class in back to back quarters. No one even asked me about it at my four interviews. One W won't hurt, take that any day over a C. A single W or two doesn't look bad at all, it happens. Just have a reason.

Take the W. A C will hurt you a lot in terms of GPA. Freshmen year is generally the year where you want to screw up if you have to have a bad semester. Take the W and do better from now on.

I would take the W. In fact, I took 4 Ws in college. 2 of them were in prerequisites. Didn't really have a reason other than I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I've been on 4 interviews and no one has asked me about my Ws. I just received my second acceptance today!

Just keep your GPA high. It's your freshman year! You don't need to worry about a W your freshman year. SDN is a wonderful resource. Just go easy on it for at least a couple of years or you'll start worrying about everything.

I said take C but then I realized that if a C is the highest you can get, you might get even lower. What if you get a B on your final and get a D? I say withdraw.

Dangit, what's with the mixed opinions? Now I want to drop.....

Members don't see this ad :)
A single C or a single W won't hurt you much, the only different is the C is factored into your GPA. As long as the rest of your grades are good you'll be fine.

Take the W. No admissions committee is going to care about a W in an irrelevant music class that you took during freshman year.

I had an issue one semester, W'd one class, and thought I could pull off another that I was thinking about W'ing...ended up with a C+ in it, and still had to retake it.

I have three interviews and an acceptance.

Take away: If you have a good reason, it won't hurt you as much. I wish I'd W'd both classes.

So, I would say W.

In my case, i will probably be making a "B" in my stats class. Everything is taught on MyStatLab, which is an online platform. I considered dropping, but my mom would kill me.

In my case, i will probably be making a "B" in my stats class. Everything is taught on MyStatLab, which is an online platform. I considered dropping, but my mom would kill me.
:laugh:

You're only halfway through the semester. I'm sure you can pull it up to an A. :thumbup:

:laugh:

You're only halfway through the semester. I'm sure you can pull it up to an A. :thumbup:

MyStatLab is rigged...my last test was a low b and my first was a c...i rarely do homework because I am usually battling it with bio and chem...but thanks for the kind words.

are you past the drop deadline?

my school if you drop a class before the deadline it doesn't show the class on your transcript. but my girl friends school they give you 1 week (wtf) to drop a class for full refund. Than they give you a month and half to drop the class all together. And if you drop the class the second week, you still get a W.

my school if you drop a class before the deadline it doesn't show the class on your transcript. but my girl friends school they give you 1 week (wtf) to drop a class for full refund. Than they give you a month and half to drop the class all together. And if you drop the class the second week, you still get a W.
I think this is standard procedure for most schools, unless you're on the quarter system or something.

I think this is standard procedure for most schools, unless you're on the quarter system or something.

In a quarter system, and same procedure here.
Also went to a CC with a quarter system that had similar deadlines.

Hmm so I ended up not dropping, professor some how gave me an A for the past assignments :eek:

So to reiterate, I suggest you don't drop until you're sure you can't boost the grade up....