Can AMCAS see +/- grades even if they don't show up on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

olofmeister

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The official AMCAS website says they consider +/- grades when calculating my GPA, but I'm confused as to how that is even possible. My school does not use the +/- system, so it does not show up anywhere on my transcript. I'm worried about this because a lot of my A's (probably most) are low 90's. Can AMCAS somehow figure out that I got a 90 and give me an A- for the course? Thank you! 🙂
 
If your school doesn't use +/- grades then.... AMCAS can't calculate anything based on them? There's no universal standard for percent -> grade calculations. Whatever your grade is on your transcript is what your grade is.
 
The official AMCAS website says they consider +/- grades when calculating my GPA, but I'm confused as to how that is even possible. My school does not use the +/- system, so it does not show up anywhere on my transcript. I'm worried about this because a lot of my A's (probably most) are low 90's. Can AMCAS somehow figure out that I got a 90 and give me an A- for the course? Thank you! 🙂
Did it ever occur to you that other schools might use a +/- grading system????
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did it ever occur to you that other schools might use a +/- grading system????
well yeah obviously I know that, I was just talking about my school because we don't use the +/- system. AMCAS says they count all +/- grades even if your school does not, which is why i was confused.
 
well yeah obviously I know that, I was just talking about my school because we don't use the +/- system. AMCAS says they count all +/- grades even if your school does not, which is why i was confused.
As in they use their own GPA scale even if your school counts an A- the same as an A. AMCAS is not going to know what % you had for schools that just give letter grades (ie the vast majority of them)
 
As in they use their own GPA scale even if your school counts an A- the same as an A. AMCAS is not going to know what % you had for schools that just give letter grades (ie the vast majority of them)
Ok. That's what I figured, but the wording was a tad confusing. Thanks for clarifying! 🙂