Can AMCAS see +/- grades even if they don't show up on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carson16666

Reaction score
The official AMCAS website says they consider +/- grades when calculating my GPA, but I'm confused as to how that is even possible. My school does not use the +/- system, so it does not show up anywhere on my transcript. I'm worried about this because a lot of my A's (probably most) are low 90's. Can AMCAS somehow figure out that I got a 90 and give me an A- for the course? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The official AMCAS website says they consider +/- grades when calculating my GPA, but I'm confused as to how that is even possible. My school does not use the +/- system, so it does not show up anywhere on my transcript. I'm worried about this because a lot of my A's (probably most) are low 90's. Can AMCAS somehow figure out that I got a 90 and give me an A- for the course? Thank you! :)
They go exactly by what's on your transcript. For schools (including mine, perhaps we go to the same uni) that don't have +/- grades, they are not factored in.

Reactions: 1 user
If your school doesn't use +/- grades then.... AMCAS can't calculate anything based on them? There's no universal standard for percent -> grade calculations. Whatever your grade is on your transcript is what your grade is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did it ever occur to you that other schools might use a +/- grading system????

Did it ever occur to you that other schools might use a +/- grading system????
well yeah obviously I know that, I was just talking about my school because we don't use the +/- system. AMCAS says they count all +/- grades even if your school does not, which is why i was confused.

well yeah obviously I know that, I was just talking about my school because we don't use the +/- system. AMCAS says they count all +/- grades even if your school does not, which is why i was confused.
As in they use their own GPA scale even if your school counts an A- the same as an A. AMCAS is not going to know what % you had for schools that just give letter grades (ie the vast majority of them)

As in they use their own GPA scale even if your school counts an A- the same as an A. AMCAS is not going to know what % you had for schools that just give letter grades (ie the vast majority of them)
Ok. That's what I figured, but the wording was a tad confusing. Thanks for clarifying! :)