Getting accepted but decline and reapply, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARiz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend only applied to the Chicago schools except for Rosalind Franklin. If he were to only get into Rosalind Franklin but decline the acceptance and wait a year to reapply, how does that look? I've heard rumors that if you are accepted to an American medical school, but decline because you don't like the school in hopes of reapplying and getting in the next year, it looks really bad. Is this true? What should he do?

Members don't see this ad.

if you get accepted to kindergarten and decline and reapply, you will be rejected.

i am not kidding. at all.

It looks bad because if you didn't want to go to the school, you should have withdrew before they could give you an acceptance. It shows lack of commitment, and also wanting to "move up", so to speak. Med schools do not want to play musical chairs.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Your friend" will find it very difficult to gain an acceptance next cycle if they declined an acceptance and re-applied. This is almost universally decried as a huge mistake.

Is it time for THOSE threads already?

First, Downstate vs. Stony Brook, now this...

My friend only applied to the Chicago schools except for Rosalind Franklin. If he were to only get into Rosalind Franklin but decline the acceptance and wait a year to reapply, how does that look? I've heard rumors that if you are accepted to an American medical school, but decline because you don't like the school in hopes of reapplying and getting in the next year, it looks really bad. Is this true? What should he do?

Your friend must be pretty baller to be accepted to a school he didn't apply to.

The only explanations you could try to do would be did not have the right financial circumstances in that cycle to attend medical school, family commitments and emergencies, and possibly also that Rosalind Franklin was on probation and you felt that spending all that much money in a med school like that was risky. But basically, if you declined acceptances, why did you even apply to that school in the first place?

The only explanations you could try to do would be did not have the right financial circumstances in that cycle to attend medical school, family commitments and emergencies, and possibly also that Rosalind Franklin was on probation and you felt that spending all that much money in a med school like that was risky. But basically, if you declined acceptances, why did you even apply to that school in the first place?

high school is over folks. this is big boy/girl time. you cannot lie, EVER.

repeat: you can never lie again. so you could not say any of those things to the school unless they have the benefit of being true.

in case you haven't heard me: lying is unacceptable as a professional and an adult. completely unacceptable. EVER.

if i am lecturing, you're right. if you're smart, you'll listen.

why did you apply to RFU if you really didn't want to go there? Don't apply to schools (even if they are your "safety schools") if you would rather not go!!! ...

repeat: you can never lie again. so you could not say any of those things to the school unless they have the benefit of being true.

in case you haven't heard me: lying is unacceptable as a professional and an adult. completely unacceptable. EVER.

Thank god for this...
People are not stupid. If you try and weasel word your way around something they WILL know, and it will make you look like an ass. Just man up, and tell the truth, and accept what happened. No more 'working the system' or half-truths to get where you want to be...

To be on topic: Declining an acceptance (if its your only acceptance) is a horrible, horrible idea. This arena is competitive enough as it is, and in reality, the undergraduate medical school you attend is not that important. If you want to be a doctor, then you should be willing to do whatever it takes to get there...going to school that is slightly less than ideal is a very, very small price to pay for reaching your dream.

If I was on an adcom, I would be infuriated that you did not take an acceptance. There are literally 30,000 people who would KILL to have the acceptance that they gave you. That's 30,000 people that they could have given that 'yes' to. But they didn't choose to give it to those people, they chose to give it to you. They gave you this precious, precious opportunity and what did you do? You decided that you didn't want it anymore...
That...would seriously piss me off if I was on an admissions committee.

Okay sorry..... I guess if you're in that boat of applying after declining an acceptance, then you have to face serious consequences then.

If this is true you would had just deferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your friend must be pretty baller to be accepted to a school he didn't apply to.

No kidding....I'll guess I'll sit back and wait for Hopkins to call me in now, because although I didn't apply, they've got to know how awesome I am. :laugh:

I didn't apply to Stewart U, but I just got a call on my cell phone (at 11pm, no less) from the Dean of Admissions welcoming me to the Stewart class of 2012.

I didn't apply to Stewart U, but I just got a call on my cell phone (at 11pm, no less) from the Dean of Admissions welcoming me to the Stewart class of 2012.

Nice. What's the deposit, $10,000 in unmarked cash?

If I was on an adcom, I would be infuriated that you did not take an acceptance. There are literally 30,000 people who would KILL to have the acceptance that they gave you. That's 30,000 people that they could have given that 'yes' to. But they didn't choose to give it to those people, they chose to give it to you. They gave you this precious, precious opportunity and what did you do? You decided that you didn't want it anymore...
That...would seriously piss me off if I was on an admissions committee.

While this may be true in declining your ONLY acceptance, it's hardly true for declining acceptances in general. Schools accept roughly 2 times their class... they know that people are going to reject them. They know that people are going to apply to more schools than just them. Heck, the school I just interviewed at on Friday says that they have never NOT gotten through the first third of the waitlist. Meaning that the top third will get accepted, just not in the first batch.

Haha... I was reading it over and over to make sure I was reading it right.

Give me a break. Everyone lies, including you.

I would definately recommend taking the acceptance because the alternative is too risky. If you don't, you will have to lie about it when you're reapplying. I don't think the AMCAS asks you if you declined an acceptance (I could be wrong), but I know some secondaries do. And you'll screw yourself if you reapply and tell everyone you declined a spot last year at an American allopathic school.

If you did reapply, I think the odds are very tiny that anyone would ever know you turned down a spot last year unless you told them. However, this is risky because the school might dismiss you later on if they somehow find out you lied on your application.

"Your friend" will find it very difficult to gain an acceptance next cycle if they declined an acceptance and re-applied. This is almost universally decried as a huge mistake.

How do other schools know if he was accepted or not?

yea how did your friend get accepted w/o applying to CMS?

Give me a break. Everyone lies, including you.

I would definately recommend taking the acceptance because the alternative is too risky. If you don't, you will have to lie about it when you're reapplying. I don't think the AMCAS asks you if you declined an acceptance (I could be wrong), but I know some secondaries do. And you'll screw yourself if you reapply and tell everyone you declined a spot last year at an American allopathic school.

If you did reapply, I think the odds are very tiny that anyone would ever know you turned down a spot last year unless you told them. However, this is risky because the school might dismiss you later on if they somehow find out you lied on your application.

no, i do not lie. i'm not an angel, by any means. but i do not lie. and i certainly wouldn't lie to a med school or to anyone during this process.

you are going to be a DOCTOR (maybe, haven't seen you MCCAT). ever hear of ethics.

kids, your lying days are over. i asked my mom.

no, i do not lie. i'm not an angel, by any means. but i do not lie. and i certainly wouldn't lie to a med school or to anyone during this process.

you are going to be a DOCTOR (maybe, haven't seen you MCCAT). ever hear of ethics.

kids, your lying days are over. i asked my mom.

Every human being in the whole world who can speak lies. You just lied when you said "I do not lie".

What's an MCCAT?

Every human being in the whole world who can speak lies. You just lied when you said "I do not lie".

What's an MCCAT?

it's the special secret test they give the special people so they know who they really want to accept.

I've seen the OP post before about getting into Loyola already, and having a whole slew of interviews. I'm assuming that they really are just asking about their friend. Perhaps the situation is that their friend did apply to all of the Chicago area schools except RFU, currently has no interviews, and that the OP is trying to convince them to add RFU now. Perhaps the friend said that they didn't want to because if they got in, and decided to decline, they'd be in a pickle. That's about the only scenario I could come up with to make sense of the original post in this thread. If I were the OP, and that was the correct scenario, I'd tell my friend to add RFU, go for the interview (if they got it), and if they definitely could not see themselves there and would rather reapply next year, to withdraw immediately, before waiting for a decision from RFU. Anyway, that's my best interpretation of this post. Carry on.

Here's the main problem with your friend's strategy. You don't know the caliber of the pool of applicants next year. If you turn down an acceptance, you might not get another which means you won't become a physician. Many, ir not most people overestimate their competitiveness when it comes to medical school admissions. I have seen more than a few people end up doing something else besides medicine for this reason. If your friend is absolutely miserable at his/her medical school, transferring makes more sense than turning down an acceptance especially if you are not holding another acceptance. Worse case scenario with attempting to transfer is that you get your MD. Turning down an acceptance without another acceptance might mean no MD. This doesn't look bad, it looks like a very poor and costly decision on your friend's part.

While this may be true in declining your ONLY acceptance, it's hardly true for declining acceptances in general. Schools accept roughly 2 times their class... they know that people are going to reject them. They know that people are going to apply to more schools than just them. Heck, the school I just interviewed at on Friday says that they have never NOT gotten through the first third of the waitlist. Meaning that the top third will get accepted, just not in the first batch.

Oh absolutely. I thought that was understood. I was implying that you applied and got into med school somewhere, and then chose to go nowhere. That's what would look very bad.