Getting Accepted to UCSD medical school, with a low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefullyOneDay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

This is my first time here and I just wanted a few of my questions asked. I am Currently a Biological sciences major senior at UCSD; I came into the school as a transfer student. My transfer GPA was good, around 3.5. However, my current GPA at UCSD is very low around 2.7. The transition from a semester and community-based college to a huge university where you feel like a number and you are no different was extremely hard. I don't just go to school, I have had two jobs and taking full-time classes the past years, I live with my mother and my younger siblings where I help out a lot ( sort of another parent ), translate at parent-teacher conferences, doctor appointments, helping my siblings with school, the SAT and applying to colleges. I am first generation college student and high school graduate. I didn't really have anyone to help me find my way through this educational journey, I just spent a lot of time googling things at the library computers. I chose UCSD because I thought it would prepare me more than a sate school would and I believe it has. My first time hearing of DNA, calculus, and so many other mathematical and scientific terms was at my community college. However, when I came to this school, I found myself competing with students that have taken a ton of AP classes at their high school and that have had top notch tutoring, and overall college experience advice that I wish I had. Sometimes I see some of these students and they say I am not gonna study till the last night for the exam I already learned most of this stuff and they end up with B's. And I'm here thinking if I had the opportunities they had I would never settle for less than an A. Sorry for the rant, anyway, my question is taking to consideration with my circumstance and my GPA, i were to bring up my GPA to a 3.2 and my MCAT score is average ( did not have any study material except for MCAT study guides I borrowed from a friend), what are my chances of getting into UCSD med school. Some of the reasons why I want to go to this school is, I really love the accessible, diverse and intense amount of research this campus has to offer and I want to keep doing some of the research I have already been apart of on campus. I also have grown attached to the community in SD, I live in the middle of SD 20 miles away from campus and I really enjoy giving back to the little amount of knowledge I have gained and giving what I didn't have access to students like myself that just need the push. Lastly, I want to eventually practice as a pediatric physician and I have heard so many good things about some of the mentorship I can have access to at UCSD. My main goal is to become a pediatric physician and also teach at a medical school because I believe that many of our current pediatric physicians who serve low income at risk children are detached and impassionate ( I have seen this first hand I'm not trying to be rude ).

P.S I don't think I will be doing a postbac, as I cannot afford it and many other personal reasons

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'd be facing an uphill battle even if you get your GPA up to a 3.2. Many, many very qualified applicants get denied from UCSD every year. Their average stats for accepted students are a 3.7 and a 34 MCAT. Figure out why you're not doing well and fix it, stat.

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest working on your Plan B. Everybody wants to go to UCSD.

Hi

This is my first time here and I just wanted a few of my questions asked. I am Currently a Biological sciences major senior at UCSD; I came into the school as a transfer student. My transfer GPA was good, around 3.5. However, my current GPA at UCSD is very low around 2.7. The transition from a semester and community-based college to a huge university where you feel like a number and you are no different was extremely hard. I don't just go to school, I have had two jobs and taking full-time classes the past years, I live with my mother and my younger siblings where I help out a lot ( sort of another parent ), translate at parent-teacher conferences, doctor appointments, helping my siblings with school, the SAT and applying to colleges. I am first generation college student and high school graduate. I didn't really have anyone to help me find my way through this educational journey, I just spent a lot of time googling things at the library computers. I chose UCSD because I thought it would prepare me more than a sate school would and I believe it has. My first time hearing of DNA, calculus, and so many other mathematical and scientific terms was at my community college. However, when I came to this school, I found myself competing with students that have taken a ton of AP classes at their high school and that have had top notch tutoring, and overall college experience advice that I wish I had. Sometimes I see some of these students and they say I am not gonna study till the last night for the exam I already learned most of this stuff and they end up with B's. And I'm here thinking if I had the opportunities they had I would never settle for less than an A. Sorry for the rant, anyway, my question is taking to consideration with my circumstance and my GPA, i were to bring up my GPA to a 3.2 and my MCAT score is average ( did not have any study material except for MCAT study guides I borrowed from a friend), what are my chances of getting into UCSD med school. Some of the reasons why I want to go to this school is, I really love the accessible, diverse and intense amount of research this campus has to offer and I want to keep doing some of the research I have already been apart of on campus. I also have grown attached to the community in SD, I live in the middle of SD 20 miles away from campus and I really enjoy giving back to the little amount of knowledge I have gained and giving what I didn't have access to students like myself that just need the push. Lastly, I want to eventually practice as a pediatric physician and I have heard so many good things about some of the mentorship I can have access to at UCSD. My main goal is to become a pediatric physician and also teach at a medical school because I believe that many of our current pediatric physicians who serve low income at risk children are detached and impassionate ( I have seen this first hand I'm not trying to be rude ).

P.S I don't think I will be doing a postbac, as I cannot afford it and many other personal reasons

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is my GPA from community college gonna be taken into consideration? I do Have plan B, I am also looking into DO. I did figure out why I was doing so bad, I was working, and taking full classes and dealing with other issues. I have started taking 2 classes a quarter and making my schedule work and choosing more helpful professors. I finally feel like I can actually breathe and enjoy college!

Is my GPA from community college gonna be taken into consideration? I do Have plan B, I am also looking into DO. I did figure out why I was doing so bad, I was working, and taking full classes and dealing with other issues. I have started taking 2 classes a quarter and making my schedule work and choosing more helpful professors. I finally feel like I can actually breathe and enjoy college!

Not really by itself. Your cGPA and sGPA (of which your CC credits/GPA will be factored into) will be the ones that really matter.

My main goal is to become a pediatric physician and also teach at a medical school because I believe that many of our current pediatric physicians who serve low income at risk children are detached and impassionate ( I have seen this first hand I'm not trying to be rude ).

1. Even improving your stats you will have to expand your school list drastically to have any chance of getting into medical school (MD or more likely, DO).

2. Don't make excuses for your poor performance and expect that to fly. If you weren't able to perform at your best, you probably should have withdrawn. Just do better in the future and state what you learned from the experience. A stellar MCAT is definitely a way to show that you know the material even if your grades don't demonstrate it. Stating you couldn't afford decent study materials and blaming a poor performance on that is also bad form. You shouldn't take a high stakes exam until you are ready (financially and mentally).

3. And most importantly, don't dis other people (even abstract people) as motivation for a goal. State that you have seen the effects an engaged and passionate pediatrician can have on helping a child in a disadvantaged environment and that is what motivates you to become a pediatrician. It's pretty much the same statement (with a more subtle implication that some pediatricians are not this way), but it doesn't have to attack fellow physicians (who you are applying to for entry to medical school) to say it.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you might need to be more effective in your studying. Also, not everyone who succeeds in college has had top notch tutoring and took many AP classes. Many of them have a passion to learn and did it with few resources.

I think you might need to be more effective in your studying. Also, not everyone who succeeds in college has had top notch tutoring and took many AP classes. Many of them have a passion to learn and did it with few resources.

This. I took the MCAT while working 40+ hours a week and relearning classes I had taken almost 7+ years ago. I used review books and didn't have the time to invest in a prep course prior to taking the exam. Result: 33+

Reactions: 1 users
This. I took the MCAT while working 40+ hours a week and relearning classes I had taken almost 7+ years ago. I used review books and didn't have the time to invest in a prep course prior to taking the exam. Result: 33+

Awesome :) Good job! So how much total did you end up spending to prepare?

For someone who hadn't looked at or thought about orgo, gen chem or physics in 7+ years, I'd say that's pretty good.

For most people, the amount they forget after 1 year is very similar to the amount they will forget any time after that. In other words, after a year or so, they have forgotten most of what they will forget. Literally, textbook psychology.

Just sayin.....

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't be comparing yourself to other people. Some people have more than others but this doesn't change the fact that med schools want to see academic performance. There are others out there worse off than you that are performing better than you. UCSD is very competitive. Your next few years could be perfect and you still have a good chance of being rejected. Expand your school list.

Reactions: 3 users
I appreciate everyone's input. I know UCSD is competitive and I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others but honestly, I believe that our current system of educating and preparing future medical doctors is crap. Many people that are not passionate about becoming physicians become physicians because they are most likely pushed by their parents or guardians or pushed by wealth. Whether I go to UCSD for medical school or any other school, believe I will become a physician/ medical professor and admission committee because things need to change. I will work hard to reform our health care delivery because the united states has by far one of the worst healthcare delivery systems in the world. Also more and more we are seeing doctors asking patients for their insurance and cherry picking patients accordingly. This puts low-income and many middle-class families at risk because they either get discouraged from seeking health care attention whenever they have serious illnesses or they are stuck with mediocre detached heartless physicians who half of the time miss diagnose or just give patients opioid painkillers. Medical schools and residency programs need to step up and remind future physicians the importance of having normal human conversations with their patients instead of looking at every patient as a list of symptoms. They also should stress the importance of treating every single patient equally and not discriminate on insurance or income status. I lost a close family member because the stupid residences and physicians at the ER did not take my family members heart attack seriously, instead, they had him wait in the waiting room where eventually he collapsed.
Thank you all for the advice, I do appreciate it and I will definitely expand my school list. I really want a school that cares about patient-doctor interactions as much as I do, and I will start looking into that, in the meantime any that come to mind would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think realistically you should be looking at DO schools. Thats AFTER you ace all of your classes and MCAT.

EDIT: if you are interested in primary care, DO would be good choice for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think realistically you should be looking at DO schools. Thats AFTER you ace all of your classes and MCAT.

not trying to be an a-hole but i think realistically I will get into UCSD and you realistically you can go kick rocks :)

not trying to be an a-hole but i think realistically I will get into UCSD and you realistically you can go kick rocks :)

No need to be rude. He was giving you genuine advice

Reactions: 4 users

I dont get why you are offended. You have a 2.7. DO schools are reach for you at this moment. If you do grade replacement and get As you will probably end up around 3.3 or 3.4, which is OK for DO with a decent MCAT score (idk probably 505~508ish). If you really want MD you can do postbac or SMP after. UCSD med is one of the most competitive medical school in the country.

I dont get why you are offended. You have a 2.7. DO schools are reach for you at this moment. If you do grade replacement and get As you will probably end up around 3.3 or 3.4, which is OK for DO with a decent MCAT score (idk probably 505~508ish). If you really want MD you can do postbac or SMP after. UCSD med is one of the most competitive medical school in the country.

I'm not mad dude. Also, I got a 3.5 GPA at my cc I combined them using a gpa calculator and technically I have a 3.27 currently. The only reason I have a 2.7 at UCSD is a stupid writing class I got a bad grade in That's all. I am sure I can get a 3.6 and I have all intentions of redoing the mcat better prepared this time. I don't think you are a transfer student so I gotta take your advice with a grain of salt bro.

I think it's great how you are able to take care of your family and work while going to school. It's not something anyone can do. However, it is important to be realistic about attending UCSD for medical school with a low gpa as it is one of most competitive schools in the US. People this far have given helpful responses and to echo what they've already said, you can still get into a DO school and there's nothing wrong with that- you will be a doctor either way.

I smiled though...

upload_2016-10-29_22-59-45.png

I'm not mad dude. Also, I got a 3.5 GPA at my cc I combined them using a gpa calculator and technically I have a 3.27 currently. The only reason I have a 2.7 at UCSD is a stupid writing class I got a bad grade in That's all. I am sure I can get a 3.6 and I have all intentions of redoing the mcat better prepared this time. I don't think you are a transfer student so I gotta take your advice with a grain of salt bro.[/

Last edited:
I'm not mad dude. Also, I got a 3.5 GPA at my cc I combined them using a gpa calculator and technically I have a 3.27 currently. The only reason I have a 2.7 at UCSD is a stupid writing class I got a bad grade in That's all. I am sure I can get a 3.6 and I have all intentions of redoing the mcat better prepared this time. I don't think you are a transfer student so I gotta take your advice with a grain of salt bro.

Anyways, I wish you the best. I went to UCSD and TAed several lower and upper div bio classes there so let me know if you have any questions. You can pm me.

Hi

No offense but you seem like you're making excuses for yourself. Many if not most kids at UCSD do not have access to top notch tutoring or ap classes or whatever else you think you didn't have but they did. Don't blame external things for your failures or you'll never be happy.

You need to get your grades up but you won't get into UCSD with those grades especially since you don't want to do a post bac or wait further time to strengthen your app

Anyways, I wish you the best. I went to UCSD and TAed several lower and upper div bio classes there so let me know if you have any questions. You can pm me.

Thanks man I do appreciate. I don't know how pm. This my first time using this. Despite many med students I know telling me to not use it.

No offense but you seem like you're making excuses for yourself. Many if not most kids at UCSD do not have access to top notch tutoring or ap classes or whatever else you think you didn't have but they did. Don't blame external things for your failures or you'll never be happy.

You need to get your grades up but you won't get into UCSD with those grades especially since you don't want to do a post bac or wait further time to strengthen your app

Thanks for the negative comments, but my concerns have already been resolved. You can now go and feel confident about yourself by trying to break other people's dreams and self worth because you are irrelevant in this forum.

Thanks for the negative comments, but my concerns have already been resolved. You can now go and feel confident about yourself by trying to break other people's dreams and self worth because you are irrelevant in this forum.

The person basically told you that you won't get into UCSD unless you work for it. How is that negative, exactly?

The person basically told you that you won't get into UCSD unless you work for it. How is that negative, exactly?

Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe you don't know how to read, most likely the second one. Either way I'm sure he said I won't get into Ucsd period.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe you don't know how to read, mostly likely the second one. Either way I'm sure he said I won't get into Ucsd period.

He obviously meant that you won't get in unless you improve your grades. He never implied that you getting rejected was set in stone.

Soooo..... who's the one who doesn't know how to read again?

Moreover, even if your stats go up, good luck getting into UCSD with your level of maturity :) (At least I smiled on this one!)

plan for the worst and hope for the best is all you can really do here.

The people who get into ucsd are still surprised when they even get an interview invite. Even with competitive numbers it's a crapshoot. I got passed over by my undergrad institution's medical school (top choice) with >90%ile mcat and gpa despite getting IIs elsewhere.

Just have an open mind about what medical school you end up at and tackle what's in front of you right now

Lol, you ask for advice in a forum, a person gives you honestly one of the most viable plans of action you have right now, and you tell him to go kick rocks?

Last edited:

So you have already taken the MCAT? What was your score?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Well seeing as you made this post I'm going to be straight up with you. You don't have a chance in hell at going to UCSD, that is the truth a lot of people are trying to tell you nicely. The truth hurts, no need to be a jack:)(& just because someone didn't give you the answer you wanted.

Reactions: 5 users
Attitude is everything in life... except for medical school admissions where stats are (mostly) everything. Unfortunately for you, your attitude and stats are both a negative... Good luck. (P.S. don't be a jerk to people who are just trying to help you) (P.S.S you probably won't get into UCSD)

I appreciate everyone's input. I know UCSD is competitive and I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others but honestly, I believe that our current system of educating and preparing future medical doctors is crap. Many people that are not passionate about becoming physicians become physicians because they are most likely pushed by their parents or guardians or pushed by wealth. Whether I go to UCSD for medical school or any other school, believe I will become a physician/ medical professor and admission committee because things need to change. I will work hard to reform our health care delivery because the united states has by far one of the worst healthcare delivery systems in the world. Also more and more we are seeing doctors asking patients for their insurance and cherry picking patients accordingly. This puts low-income and many middle-class families at risk because they either get discouraged from seeking health care attention whenever they have serious illnesses or they are stuck with mediocre detached heartless physicians who half of the time miss diagnose or just give patients opioid painkillers. Medical schools and residency programs need to step up and remind future physicians the importance of having normal human conversations with their patients instead of looking at every patient as a list of symptoms. They also should stress the importance of treating every single patient equally and not discriminate on insurance or income status. I lost a close family member because the stupid residences and physicians at the ER did not take my family members heart attack seriously, instead, they had him wait in the waiting room where eventually he collapsed.
Thank you all for the advice, I do appreciate it and I will definitely expand my school list. I really want a school that cares about patient-doctor interactions as much as I do, and I will start looking into that, in the meantime any that come to mind would be appreciated.
First piece of advice would be to not mention ANY of this. You want to go into medicine because doctors are terrible/evil and the healthcare system is the worst in the world? First of all that is not even close to true, and secondly, think of your audience here, you are literally badmouthing the community of people you hope to work with. If you had a job interview at a company, would you tell the interviewer that you wanted to work there because you think that they are all incompetent?

I know you are getting a lot of negative feedback here, and I'm sorry about that, but it isn't only because of your stats. If someone with amazing stats 3.8+ and 520+ MCAT was saying the same things you are saying, people would still tell them that they have only a percent chance of getting into any particular school (especially a very competitive school like UCSD). No one has a guarantee to a specific school, and then compound that with the fact that your scores are currently below most cutoff points. Your stats must be fixed, and I'm not sure how that would be feasible without DO grade replacement, but maybe you can do it. Your potential academic success would be very impressive considering the challenges that you face, however, those same challenges won't be enough to excuse poor performance.

Also OP, adcoms don't give a crap that you worked two jobs during school to help support your family. I can tell you from experience. Also while we are on the subject of hardship Olympics, I know of an orphan who applied with a compelling story and experience opening up non profits with better stats than yours and she did not get in to an MD school in California. So good luck trying to convince adcoms that your hardship somehow will make up for poor grades and an mcat performance. Life is unfair and no one cares, get used to it. Your best option is to get 3.6+ cumulative gpa and 511+ mcat and apply broadly to MD schools and pray. If you are unwilling to heed the advice others have given in the thread and act like a chided child than good luck tell us how that works out for you!

upload_2016-10-30_12-29-50.png

Keep in mind this is nation wide, i would venture to say being an asian in California the odds of getting accepted with those stats are extremely small.

You have a very low chance of getting into UCSD. If I was a betting man, I'd say its not gonna happen. That's not being rude, that's being realistic. I'd say that to almost anyone about their chances at one single school, let alone someone with your GPA. Learn to not be so sensitive when people give you advice, and don't insult people with things like, "you must not be able to read dur hur."

Take some time for yourself. Raise your GPA. Do well on MCAT. Apply DO

Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe you don't know how to read, most likely the second one. Either way I'm sure he said I won't get into Ucsd period.

Your sense of entitlement is thick. Your grades aren't your only problem dude. And for the record, never said you would never gave in. Gave you realistic advice which you didn't want to hear. You want to be told you're special and you'll get in even though you're track record indicates you can't handle the curriculum. Well, sorry. Ain't true.

Also, do you honestly not realize that your 3.5 at a community college is 100%unimpressive? Honestly?

Last edited:
my MCAT score is average ( did not have any study material except for MCAT study guides I borrowed from a friend)

Hi, OP! Being only a pre-med hopeful myself, I am not qualified weigh in on the discussion about your chances for UCSD, but if you do end up deciding to retake your MCAT, I wanted to share some advice :)

I took the MCAT this past August. I did not have $2,000 to spend on a prep course, nor did I have a few hundred dollars to spend on commercial review books. But the resources on Khan Academy are incredible and 100% free! I was working full time while studying over the summer, and dedicated most of my free time to watching/taking notes on Khan Academy videos, doing their multiple choice questions after each set of subject videos, and doing the 300+ practice passages they have on their website. After doing the content review, I did some searching around the internet and took many of the free full and half-length tests that are available. The one thing I did spend money on were the two available AAMC practice tests (but this was only $60 total). I ended up with a 523 (130/131/131/131).

I know it can feel really intimidating to know other people are going into this test having spent thousands of dollars on review courses/books/etc, but it's not impossible to study on your own with the excellent free resources that are available and still do well. My best advice is to keep your chin up, remind yourself of your goal when it gets tough, and try not to let the resources other people may/may not be using get to your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.