Getting an elective at Mayo Clinic, how hard is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineZ0Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically during the winter/spring when everyone's matched. This would be for one of my school's selectives and ideally in cardiology. I was thinking it would be much easier to land a spot at that time vs during the fall?
Now the more important part, I'm a DO student with an okay comlex score (going into primary care) but do have an exceptional resume. Should I even bother trying or are they largely wanting MDs/high USMLE scorers only? This is strictly for their elective (not for matching of course). I know that they accept the comlex but wondering if it'd be a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

So look at their roster. If there’s a DO or two you have a shot if you kill USMLE Step 2 and if by stellar resume you mean a strong research CVpublications. One thing I’ve noticed about the MD vs DO world though is the focus on aways for DOs, but at the end of the day, I don’t see as much emphasis in the MD world so don’t get your hopes up about an away helping much. In general, Mayo Clinic is an mid/upper-tier place with great name recognition, but in a poor location. I’d imagine it’s attainable and the Midwest is pretty DO friendly, but it’ll take a good amount of effort, luck, and a killer USMLE score but for encouragement I have seen DO match lists with the real Mayo Clinic on them.

EDIT: I didn't actually read your post properly to realize you meant elective. I would imagine away rotations in general are not too competitive. At the end of the day, the programs make money from them and I see people rotating at Yale IM who will definitely not match there. It’s probablt specific by program but it wouldn’t hurt to specify by cold-calling the place. Do that and report back.

Last edited:
So look at their roster. If there’s a DO or two you have a shot if you kill USMLE Step 2 and if by stellar resume you mean a strong research CVpublications. One thing I’ve noticed about the MD vs DO world though is the focus on aways for DOs, but at the end of the day, I don’t see as much emphasis in the MD world so don’t get your hopes up about an away helping much. In general, Mayo Clinic is an mid/upper-tier place with great name recognition, but in a poor location. I’d imagine it’s attainable and the Midwest is pretty DO friendly, but it’ll take a good amount of effort, luck, and a killer USMLE score but for encouragement I have seen DO match lists with the real Mayo Clinic on them.

EDIT: I didn't actually read your post properly to realize you meant elective. I would imagine away rotations in general are not too competitive. At the end of the day, the programs make money from them and I see people rotating at Yale IM who will definitely not match there. It’s probablt specific by program but it wouldn’t hurt to specify by cold-calling the place. Do that and report back.

Good point. Will do...
Mainly curious to see some cool rare cases/be at a high-end institution to see what it's like and this would be when everyone's pretty much ranked (Feb or Mar) or matched.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. Will do...
Mainly curious to see some cool rare cases/be at a high-end institution to see what it's like and this would be when everyone's pretty much ranked (Feb or Mar) or matched.

Keep in mind that even residents complain about lack of experience at the Clinics and with the totem pole it’s residents > interns >>> med students >>> away medical students so I’m not sure how much practical experience to learn from that you’ll get.

Keep in mind that even residents complain about lack of experience at the Clinics and with the totem pole it’s residents > interns >>> med students >>> away medical students so I’m not sure how much practical experience to learn from that you’ll get.
Yeah I understand. Though it will be in a field I'm not going into + during a time when everyone's slacking off. For my subIs in the late summer/early fall I'll be at places where I can get a lot more hands on work.

Reactions: 1 user