Getting an MD in Canda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadySerenity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've entered the sites of a few Canadian Universities, trying to get some info
on admissions, fees and so on. I still have some questions unanswered...

1) How many years would it take to get MD (for a person holding a 3 year BA degree)?

2) Is it practically possible for a resident holding a university BA degree from outside of Canada to enter the MD program?... I mean, there are official admissions and all, but, really, what are the chances to get into MD program, if you've finished your degree outside from Canada?

3) For a resident / citizen, what are the fees, per year and total?

Thanks, Anna

Members don't see this ad.

<P>Most schools in Canada will NOT accept a 3 year degree program unless it is a post baccalaureate degree or certificate. The schools usually only accept a 4 year undergraduate degree and will sometimes consider graduate work however most emphasis is on the undergraduate degree.
<P>There have been cases where people have actually been conferred Master's and Doctoral (PhD) degrees without completing an undergraduate degree and most Canadian schools will not accept this condition either.
<P>However something in your favour may be that some schools will consider admission to students who have completed 3 out of 4 years towards an undergraduate program. This situation was more common about 15 years ago and seldom do any students get in this way these days.
<P>Admissions fees vary from province to province and school to school. Some fees range from 12, 500 per year all the way upto 20, 000 per year for tuition and some schools may charge only 6500 per year. Now remember these are ball park figures for tuition alone---extra fees, supplies etc can push the amount up by several thousand in some cases. Also be wary of housing and food costs, which are variable from region to region.
<P>You will also have to sit the MCAT examination and have 3 recommendation letters, some research experience and extra-curricular/community involvement as well.
<P>Furthermore, you will be placed lower on the list as preference is given to in province students (heavily) then out of province students and then finally international students. Some schools will not even consider international students period.
<P>In your case I do not remember if you are a Canadian citizen, so this last portion may not apply to you specifically.

I dont think I really answered your query however I think what I have said should provide you with some insight.
I am too tired to think at the moment, sorry.

:sleep: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LadySerenity said:
1) How many years would it take to get MD (for a person holding a 3 year BA degree)?

Most MD programs in Canada are 4 years in length, with a few (McMaster and University of Calgary off the top of my head) being 3 years. Whether or not you can get accepted with a 3 year BA is another question entirely.

2) Is it practically possible for a resident holding a university BA degree from outside of Canada to enter the MD program?... I mean, there are official admissions and all, but, really, what are the chances to get into MD program, if you've finished your degree outside from Canada?

That depends on your residency status. Are you a Canadian citizen? If not, you have little to no chance (very few spots for international students). If so, the medical programs in your home province will be your best shot.

Medstar really answered this for you. If you're an international student, tuition will probably be in the $30,000CDN range. If you're a Canadian citizen, tuition can range from as low as $7000CDN a year (Memorial) to about $15,000CDN a year (University of Toronto).

Where is your degree from and what is it in? Have you studied science? It's too hard to give good advice based on the limited info. you've posted. In general, a BS/BA with apporpriate foundation in the natural sciences plus the MCAT examination will suffice for Canadian universities. It will take you four years to earn an M.D. in Canada - with the exception of one school in Ontario and one one school on the West coast which both offer a three-year M.D. Please note: this is assuming you are a landed immigrant/citizen of Canada.

There are very, very few Canadian medical schools that allow internationals to matriculate. Forget about McMaster in Ontario; they will not matriculate internationals, but they will let you apply. McGill and University of Toronto each reserve around ten places for internationals every year. I had a foreign undergraduate degree and I was offered an interview at the U of T last year.

Each school posts this on their website. Expect to pay 50-75% more than a Candian citizen, without access to financial aid.

It's best to gain your medical degree from the country where you have gained most of your education prior to medical studies and this ordinarily should be the country where you intend to practice. This will save you countless years of stress dealing with having foreign credentials 'accepted', paying for school with little or no financial help, and securing a medical residency in a country that may or may not accept your M.D. Good luck!

Just to add to what has already been said...

If you are not a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant, then your chances are very slim. UofT and McGill take international students, but even though UofT says it reserves up to 10 (or so) spaces, they never take that many. In my class there are two international students.

But, if you are a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant, then your chances aren't any different from a Canadian applicant from a Canadian school. There are lots of people in my class at UofT who went to US schools. If you are talking about a non-US school, then you would need to contact individual schools about how they would consider your degree. I think you would have issues getting them to accept all of your credits.

Some schools accept three year degrees, some don't. You would have to check with each school.

It might be worth pointing out that some countries' "3 year" degrees are the equivalent of Canadian BA's and BSc's. Hence, it does matter what country you're referring to. Some European undergrad degrees begin at what would be considered the second year level of a Canadian or American undergrad degree. Their students would have already covered first year material during a university preparatory year of their secondary schools.

Regardless of whether the degree is equivalent, though, I think all Canadian med schools prefer that applicants take their prerequisites at North American schools.

As already mentioned, your best bets are probably McGill and U of T.

If you speak French, you might want to look into Université de Montréal as well.

Well it depends on the number of credits you have as well. If you did summer courses and that is why you finished in 3 years, you should be fine to apply to every school. Assuming you are Canadian resident/citizen.

Either, way i guess we can stop guessing now.. and wait till you come back to clearify your status.. etc.. etc... etc..

Thank you all, guys, for your replyes!

I'd like to explain my situation...

1) I'm doing now my BA in Biochemistry in Technion, Israel. Of course, it
includes all the basic courses and sciences, like Chemistry, Biology, etc.
Technion is considered a very strong university here, and is pretty well
known abroad too.

2) I REALLY want to study medicine after I get my BA, hopefully in some 2 years. My options are the following:
a) Trying to apply here in Israel. Pros: relatively cheap (~2,500$ per
year), and only my BA grades are considered. Cons: it's a 7 years
degree!

b) Trying to get a Canadian residence, and apply to a Canadian med.
school as a resident. Pros: it's 4 instead of 7 years, plus
Israel accepts automaticly a med. license from Canada, no additional
exams. Cons: probably it's harder to get accepted for me in Canada,
plus the fees are MUCH higher, as far as I can understand... If I manage
to get a financial assistance, it can be easier.

The question is: what are my chances to get a financial aid, as a resident?

Thanks,
Anna

LadySerenity said:
Thank you all, guys, for your replyes!

I'd like to explain my situation...

1) I'm doing now my BA in Biochemistry in Technion, Israel. Of course, it
includes all the basic courses and sciences, like Chemistry, Biology, etc.
Technion is considered a very strong university here, and is pretty well
known abroad too.

2) I REALLY want to study medicine after I get my BA, hopefully in some 2 years. My options are the following:
a) Trying to apply here in Israel. Pros: relatively cheap (~2,500$ per
year), and only my BA grades are considered. Cons: it's a 7 years
degree!

b) Trying to get a Canadian residence, and apply to a Canadian med.
school as a resident. Pros: it's 4 instead of 7 years, plus
Israel accepts automaticly a med. license from Canada, no additional
exams. Cons: probably it's harder to get accepted for me in Canada,
plus the fees are MUCH higher, as far as I can understand... If I manage
to get a financial assistance, it can be easier.

The question is: what are my chances to get a financial aid, as a resident?

Thanks,
Anna

If you become a Canadian citizen, the chances of you getting some kind of financial aid (either through the government or through the banks) is pretty much 100%.

LadySerenity said:
Hello,

I've entered the sites of a few Canadian Universities, trying to get some info
on admissions, fees and so on. I still have some questions unanswered...

Thanks, Anna

1) It would take 4 years, regardless of your degree, with an interesting exception at McMaster, which as far as I know is the only school in NOrth America that does this. But you can do med school in only 3 years. However, it's a PBL ( practice based learning, so you teach yourself and no exams) and you start going to hospital in 2nd year. But I heard from others that Hamilton students seem unprepared, dont' know if true or not, just heard it.

2) Yea it's possible, as long as you meet the requirements, do the MCAT, but Ottawa doesn't require it and I believe you have to be a Canadia citizen or landed immigrant.

3) DOnt' know exact numbers, and they do vary b/w schools, you have to go to individual web sites for this. But ballpark figures are 8 thou in Quebec to about 18 grand in TO, but avg is about 15 thou per year. For McmAster that's 45 grand for all 3 years.

Also you can get OSAP if you are a Canadian citizen, paying for schooling in Canadia, shouldn't be a prob at all. It's not like you have to sell your house, car and a kidney like in a US school.