Getting back into anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom10

D.O.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed two years of an anesthesiology program after finishing IM residency. Skipped TY year went straight to CA1 and finished CA2 year. I had some horrible personal things happen to me after my CA1 year. Depression set in. Continued on for a year, but with the strain of residency and my unresolved depression, I couldn't do it anymore. I resigned in good standing with my program. Even got 94th percentile on ITE my CA2 year, but just couldn't keep going. I'm doing great now. Back to my high energy happy self.

That was in 2020. I'm wondering if its possible I only need to complete maybe 2 years instead of the full 3 all over again to finish. Assuming a program would take me of course. I don't expect an answer here necessarily, but a point in the right direction. ACGME website wasn't too helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completed two years of an anesthesiology program after finishing IM residency. Skipped TY year went straight to CA1 and finished CA2 year. I had some horrible personal things happen to me after my CA1 year including the unexpected death of my younger brother. Depression set in. Continued on for a year, but with the strain of residency and my unresolved depression, I couldn't do it anymore. I resigned in good standing with my program. Even got 94th percentile on ITE my CA2 year, but just couldn't keep going. I'm doing great now. Back to my high energy happy self.

That was in 2020. I'm wondering if its possible I only need to complete maybe 2 years instead of the full 3 all over again to finish. Assuming a program would take me of course. I don't expect an answer here necessarily, but a point in the right direction. ACGME website wasn't too helpful.
why don't you go back to your old program? i'm sure they would be the most understanding of your situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not an administrator so take what I say with a grain of salt...

You probably could get in a program somewhere as an R slot, but you will need a letter from your old program, and you'll likely have to start over as a CA1. It's possible if you found a program that lost a resident, that you could be placed on a accelerated track and graduate a little early, but again you'd have to be lucky.

If you don't want to start as square one, your best bet then would likely be to go back to your old program and they might be more willing to palce you on a accelerated track to bring you you to the CA3 level; regardless of how malignant it is.

Reactions: 1 users
i doubt people will know the answer here. if i had to guess, i would guess it'll be VERY difficult to do so. you will most likely need to repeat it all
but like above said, going back to old program is most likely shot.

Reactions: 1 user
They for the most part are all malignant. Anesthesia residency is just terrible. I hope you don't fall back in depression going back into residency.

To be honest, it was quite malignant.

you finished CA1 and CA2.
you have invested so much into this already.
you are basically at the home stretch
are you willing to do just one more year even at a malignant program to get it over with and live your life?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
are you willing to do just one more year even at a malignant program to get it over with and live your life?
program would be very generous to let OP go directly to CA3, with a 2 year+ gap.

If you resigned on good terms, your best shot is at your old program. It’s only been 2 years so there should still be folks there who remember you and will go to bat for you.

As an aside, anesthesia residency was only CBY+2years of anesthesia until the late 1980s.

Leaving residency is not like leaving a job and as a trainee you’ll have very limited rights. If your prior program’s PD and/or chair don't like you for whatever reason, then you are likely of luck as all programs will probably require letters from them.

I was just wondering if it was even possible from an ACGME standpoint.

I appreciate the responses.

I wrote like three paragraphs, then decided it would just be too mean….

I am sure OP is missing some details….. that’s why.

cool man.

That was 2020. I was so lethargic and down from the workload and depression I would sleep for 24 hours on my off says sometimes, getting up 5-6 times to go to the bathroom. Wouldn't even eat sometimes. The lethargy was unbearable.

Lost 30lbs which I didn't have to lose, looked gaunt. I pushed like that for a year. It was hell.

program would be very generous to let OP go directly to CA3, with a 2 year+ gap.

To be honest, I don't even think I would be comfortable with that.

Leaving residency is not like leaving a job and as a trainee you’ll have very limited rights. If your prior program’s PD and/or chair don't like you for whatever reason, then you are likely of luck as all programs will probably require letters from them.

PD and I weren't exactly buddies, but he wrote a letter for me saying I left the program in good standing.

cool man.

That was 2020. I was so lethargic and down from the workload and depression I would sleep for 24 hours on my off says sometimes, getting up 5-6 times to go to the bathroom. Wouldn't even eat sometimes. The lethargy was unbearable.

Lost 30lbs which I didn't have to lose, looked gaunt. I pushed like that for a year. It was hell.

To be honest, I don't even think I would be comfortable with that.

PD and I weren't exactly buddies, but he wrote a letter for me saying I left the program in good standing.

Are you currently practicing IM? Functioning well? If so you can get most of your references from your current job. But you will probably still need a reference from your old anesthesia program.