SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Getting clinical experience - how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by patrickd223, Mar 27, 2007.

1. patrickd223

patrickd223 5+ Year Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I worked as a physical therapy aide throughout senior high school year, and half year while in college. At this job I get tons of patient contact and basically do the physical therapists job half of the time. I still work 50 hours weeks at this job on vacations and the hours def. stack up on christmas break. I volunteer at the hospital 4 hours per week but the job is boring as hell and basically all i do is shuffle papers. Is this enough clinical experience or should I seek getting an EMT-B or something like that? I could also volunteer at the nursing home... Just need some outside opinions because I cant really gauge where I am at. thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Mizzou Med
    Add some physician shadowing hours and you're good, IMO.

4. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months.. 2+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2006
    you can never have too much clinical experience. the more, the better as long as you can balance it with class work.

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    OP, ask some of the docs who write orders for P.T. to let you shadow. It will help put what you have been doing in perspective as it relates to the practice of medicine.