Getting close... How should I study now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatchle1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for the MCAT for about 3 months now, and it's getting close to test time (3 weeks away, YIKES!).

Just took two AAMC practice MCATs last week and scored a 31 and 32 on them.

I've been told at this point I should be doing nothing but taking official practice tests... what advice can you give me on this and how I should study from now till the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I also have 3 weeks
do practice tests with a few days rest in between each, use those days to review what you got wrong and solidify any content

easier said than done, i agree!

taking mine aug 16th. unfortunately ive taken almost all the aamc exams :(

go over your aamc exams that you already took, and know why you got wrong what you got wrong.

I have even less time (I'm an Aug. 5th). I still have a few practice AAMC, but right now I'm still worried I haven't done enough content review (well, more like re-review at this point).

Also I still have a butt-load of EK 1001 questions that I still can do.

Any suggestions for time budgeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that timing is almost as important as knowledge. If you've taken all the practice exams, take them again, starting with the one you took the longest time ago.
The exam is a performance and practice makes you perform better.

Good Luck.

I've never really had a problem with time. I usually end a section with 5-10 mintues left for checking problems over. I find that the key is not to spend too long on difficult problems.

I've taken tests where I've spent way too much time on one problem. The longer I spend, the more difficult it seems to be. It's much better to mark the question and come back to it from a fresh angle.

Got mine august 22nd. The closer I get to the date the more time I wish I had. At the same time I wish I could just take the damn thing tomorrow because I'm really sick of studying for it. Just gotta keep doing the practice FLs and going over notes

I am 8/22 also and know how you feel! I think there's so much I have that I could do for this exam, and the closer to the date it gets, the more time I wish I had.

I am doing targeted verbal practice, FL exams, and content review. Still think there's so much to look over in so little time but that's life ;-)

I'm the same way. I wish I had more time to study, but I also wish it was all just over... This thing has taken over my entire summer (in fact, I think my girlfriend hates this test more than me and she's not the one taking it).

Also, since i'm pulling scores a little over 30 now, do you think I have enough time (3 weeks) to raise my score to about a 34-35?

I think you can, tatchle1! If it is verbal, analyzing mistakes on practice exams and just doing more practice can help boost your score.

Analyze FL exams, right and wrong answers. If you are missing questions because of content, then study necessary areas.

I think in 3 weeks anyone can boost your scores 3-6 points.... anyone else agree/disagree?

At this point, you should know exactly how you're going to do. If you've been averaging say 30 on your past three AAMC's, then that's what you will do most likely. No offense, but EK questions only reinforce content (and too much at that). You're much better off with AAMC's.

Hi,

First more power to you! Second, verbal is a skill and takes good instruction/study + time. I've seen students do it in 3 weeks, but, to be honest, I'd bank on a 31 or 32 (wherever you're at). That's a good score, but if you're not happy with that you should postpone.

how did you guys move from 10 to a higher score in bio? For me after going over my tests it seems i'm making a few careless mistakes with a bunch of reasoning errors on the experiment. I about 150 problems away from being done with the EK biol 1001; my test is aug. 7... What would you suggest?

I think in 3 weeks anyone can boost your scores 3-6 points.... anyone else agree/disagree?

Its possible, but you need to be efficient as hell. Every day, hour, min, second matters in my opinion.

Something you realize as your test date approaches, is what you could of/should of/would have done, but you can't change the past.

how did you guys move from 10 to a higher score in bio? For me after going over my tests it seems i'm making a few careless mistakes with a bunch of reasoning errors on the experiment. I about 150 problems away from being done with the EK biol 1001; my test is aug. 7... What would you suggest?

EK Bio 1001 book is worthless, stop and drop that book. Especially given how close you are to your exam