getting competitive residencies from carrib schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been reading a lot about Carrib schools. They dont look too bad if you dont want to go thru the hassle of taking post-bac classes, etc. I've been looking at the residency matches of the big 4 schools. They dont look too bad. I am not sure how the process of getting a residency works. It's supposed to be based mainly on USMLE scores and gpa but do they also look at what school you went to? Do most matriculants of Carribean schools get where they want to go if they work hard enough at it?

Members don't see this ad.

preludexl said:
I been reading a lot about Carrib schools. They dont look too bad if you dont want to go thru the hassle of taking post-bac classes, etc. I've been looking at the residency matches of the big 4 schools. They dont look too bad. I am not sure how the process of getting a residency works. It's supposed to be based mainly on USMLE scores and gpa but do they also look at what school you went to? Do most matriculants of Carribean schools get where they want to go if they work hard enough at it?

School reputation does matter...whether it is a US school or caribbean.

If I were you, I'd try to get into either Ross or St. George's. Both schools have excellent residency placements.

preludexl said:
Most matriculants at Carribean schools will get a satisfactory residency if they work hard enough,some get highly competitive programs.There are hospitals and specialties are very difficult for a non-US grad to obtain even if they are a top student.The carrib is a great way for an individual to enter the US medical sysytem when the usual route is not possiible.It is not equivalent to going to a U.S school .Your ability to get a good residency is related to several things.. the reputation of the school does matter,USMLE,performance in clinical rotations,getting to know people etc.Its not just board scores as critical as they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shah_Patel_PT said:
School reputation does matter...whether it is a US school or caribbean.

If I were you, I'd try to get into either Ross or St. George's. Both schools have excellent residency placements.

You are right in that end. I have been looking up the residency match lists released by the schools and as well as faculty. SGU seems to have the faculty with the most credentials. I am also suprised by how many specialties the top carribean schools are able to obtain. I also like the fact that the clinicals for Ross are done in Florida.

preludexl said:

Their is a basic hierarchy when getting into residencies, and that is American medical graduates get first priority. Then the FMG's, which include carib grads, get whats left over. Since there is about 16,000 students graduating from the US, and about 23000 PGY-1 spots available, that leaves a nice gap of about 7000 spots in various residencies for FMGs. Where you rank in that depends on ur GPA and much more importantly, your step 1's

hope this helps

preludexl said:
. I also like the fact that the clinicals for Ross are done in Florida.

Clinicals are not done in Florida for Ross.

McGillGrad said:
Clinicals are not done in Florida for Ross.
Clinicals are done all over the US for Ross students, including the ability to complete a portion of your clinicals in Florida. Larkin hospital in Miami offers a six week rotation in FP. Also you can directly contact hospitals in florida, and once they Ok you doing a rotation there, they will work in liason with the NJ office to get everything sorted out.
With that said, the majority of students complete clinicals in the NY/NJ or Chicago areas as these are where the focus of Ross' clinical sites are located.

bulletproof said:
Clinicals are done all over the US for Ross students, including the ability to complete a portion of your clinicals in Florida. Larkin hospital in Miami offers a six week rotation in FP. Also you can directly contact hospitals in florida, and once they Ok you doing a rotation there, they will work in liason with the NJ office to get everything sorted out.
With that said, the majority of students complete clinicals in the NY/NJ or Chicago areas as these are where the focus of Ross' clinical sites are located.

Bless you for having the energy to repeat the same information 1000 times for people too lazy to do basic research.

School reputation can help, somewhat.

If you're in the top 1/3 of your class at ANY school (US MD/DO, possibly top 4 caribbean) and you do well on the USMLE...you have a great shot to go to a good residency

The only time school rep comes into to play is if you're in the bottom half of your class. Residencies (the one's that would take someone in this situation) would rather take someone from the bottom half of Harvard than from the bottom half of Pikeville Osteopathic.

---------------
The top 4 caribbean schools are pretty good schools.

When people say "oh, SGU and Ross put more people in competitive residencies" they seem to overlook that they accept 2x-3x more students per semester than AUC/Saba (especially Saba) it's just a numbers game.

I agree with you. Reputation doesn't matter much. People come from unknown schools in Pakistan and secure good residencies in the US. Why? Because they did very well on Step 1 & 2, and had good GPA.

medschool22 said:
School reputation can help, somewhat.

If you're in the top 1/3 of your class at ANY school (US MD/DO, possibly top 4 caribbean) and you do well on the USMLE...you have a great shot to go to a good residency

The only time school rep comes into to play is if you're in the bottom half of your class. Residencies (the one's that would take someone in this situation) would rather take someone from the bottom half of Harvard than from the bottom half of Pikeville Osteopathic.