Getting great volunteer experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crzynikki

A beginning without end..
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching the forum and see a lot of people with really amazing volunteer/ working hospital experiences. I was just wondering how do I go about getting these noteworthy positions (non-clerical)? I know I want to be a pediatrician (if I ever get to med. school), so I'd like to do somthing oriented to that. I've been going through different hospital web pages and all that they have listed for volunteer opportunites are mostly clerical things, and for career opportunities you need to have a master's in something! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

any clinical experience is clinical experience. don't let the stats of other people bother you. i was once bothered by it, but then i realized that they are just padding their apps.

you need to show serious interest in medicine, and you don't need to be performing operations before you start med school. ;)

If you're interested in working with children, I volunteered as a camp counselor at a camp for kids with cancer. There's a medical staff there at all times, but as a counselor you're the kids' first line of defense if there's a problem. I got a LOT more "hands on" patient contact than I did as a hospital volunteer in HS. If you're interested you can find a local camp through the Children's Oncology Camping Association (COCA) website: http://www.coca-intl.org/. I know my camp and a lot of the other ones starts staffing early and there can often be a waitlist so I would contact them now about this summer.

Also check at your local hospital- or maybe a farther away Children's Hospital. They often have "child life" rooms that the kids can go to for some fun while they're in the hospital. They are usually staffed with volunteers.

It can be hard to find a volunteer experience that you really enjoy and will also help get you into medical school. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very possible to get more clinical (non-clerical) volunteer opportunities, but you may have to go beyond the posted volunteer information. Here's a couple of strategies:

1. Get to know a doctor by shadowing them (to do this, you call or e-mail a bunch of doctors at your university or community hospital) a few times, then ask if you could volunteer on their service (for instance, if you're shadowing a pediatric neurologist, you might be able to spend a few hours up on the neurology unit a couple of times a week) or go on ward rounds. Usually, these doctors are on service only a fraction of the time, so you may have to wait for their turn to come, or alternatively they can introduce you to another physician who is on service. Also, if you shadow for long enough, you'll often wind up in a 'volunteer' like position (running for drug samples, helping patients get to their MRI, getting the results of a test, etc.).

2. Start out working in a clerical job. Odd as it sounds, clerks really are needed. Once you know people, you can talk to them directly about what you'd like to see/do. Most residents are happy to have you around -- it gives them a chance to talk through stuff, and in the process of teaching it to you they both feel good about themselves and it helps cement things in their brain.

3. Get an EMT license. I've never done it, but I know they're eligable for more hands on work.

4. Get a job at the local hospital in patient transport. Again, something I've never done, but some of my friends who did it for extended periods have talked a lot about it. Basically, it's a lot of scut, but you get to meet patients and see stuff while you're waiting for the patients.

5. Contact the volunteer office directly. Tell them what you want to do; express an understanding that what they really need help with is clerical work, but you'd also like some time to spend reading to the kids, etc.

6. Find out if there's a "Child Life" office or something similar. These offices deal with improving quality of life of kids at the hospital. Usually, they administer programs like reading to kids, playing with them, etc.

7. Seek out alternative (i.e., outside the hospital) volunteer opportunities like the one Hamface 16 was talking about. Nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, camps are all good ones, but the latter two might be more promising given your pediatric interest. Aside from onc camps, there are epilepsy camps, diabetes camps, etc. Also, check to see if there are any mentoring opportunities in your area for kids with chronic diseases -- they tend to have very hiigh incidence of self destructive behavior, teenage pregnancy, etc. so there are often support groups to help them deal with the chronic illness.

8. Get in touch with local non-profits that deal with disabled children. Small non-profits often have volunteers take more active roles (for instance, after demonstrating commitment, you might be put in charge of a project; or you might be able to suggest a project that they then let you run with).

9. There are programs in most cities for bringing food to the homebound, many of which specialize in a particular population (elderly, AIDS, etc). If you get involved in one of those, you might be able to speak eloquently of the social cost of disease. I remember one young man I met in clinic who said his only regular contact with other human beings was through the local food delivery non-profit. Keep in mind that these are jobs that require sustained commitment (not necessary a lot of time, but it needs to be very regular).

10. Call a home visit nursing service and see if you can tag along.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck,
Anka

Thanks for your advice everyone! I'm starting to get some good ideas on where and how to start. :clap:

I would get a job as a PCA or PCT (ie nursing assistant) on a peds floor or the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) or in the ER.
I'm a PCA during the summers home from college and have worked in all the above areas, in addition to the usual cardiac floors I work on.
You get great patient contact and physician contact (that is depending on if you get physicians who are nice or jerks). You also get to learn actual medicine (depending on how motivated you are). Research drugs, treatments, and procedures during your down time, so you can talk to doctors on their level when they are around. This way you can say things like "This patient had a creatinine of 7.0 and a BUN of 65 today, time to dialyze?" instead of "How do you tell if a patient organs are not working?" That's what I did and got a letter of recommendation from a cardiac surgeon at the hospital I work.
Volunteering is way overrated in my opinion. If there is a volunteer on the floors I've worked on, we just send them to run labs to the lab area, or run papers to floors. They just stand around doing nothing besides that.
Patient Transport at least has some patient contact, but no clinical involvement.
As a nursing assistant, you'll be involved with traumas in the ER (I've gone up to the heliport and picked up people, and also have done CPR and assisted in various other ways with traumas) and assist with codes on floors such as the various ICU's.
If you're interested in pediatric surgery, then try to get a tech position in an OR. I plan on going into cardiac surgery and got a job as a heart holder in the OR (I assisted with surgery by holding the heart and using various tools such as forceps and scissors). It was unbelievable.

Originally posted by cardsurgguy
I would get a job as a PCA or PCT (ie nursing assistant) on a peds floor or the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) or in the ER.
I'm a PCA during the summers home from college and have worked in all the above areas, in addition to the usual cardiac floors I work on.
You get great patient contact and physician contact (that is depending on if you get physicians who are nice or jerks). You also get to learn actual medicine (depending on how motivated you are). Research drugs, treatments, and procedures during your down time, so you can talk to doctors on their level when they are around. This way you can say things like "This patient had a creatinine of 7.0 and a BUN of 65 today, time to dialyze?" instead of "How do you tell if a patient organs are not working?" That's what I did and got a letter of recommendation from a cardiac surgeon at the hospital I work.
Volunteering is way overrated in my opinion. If there is a volunteer on the floors I've worked on, we just send them to run labs to the lab area, or run papers to floors. They just stand around doing nothing besides that.
Patient Transport at least has some patient contact, but no clinical involvement.
As a nursing assistant, you'll be involved with traumas in the ER (I've gone up to the heliport and picked up people, and also have done CPR and assisted in various other ways with traumas) and assist with codes on floors such as the various ICU's.
If you're interested in pediatric surgery, then try to get a tech position in an OR. I plan on going into cardiac surgery and got a job as a heart holder in the OR (I assisted with surgery by holding the heart and using various tools such as forceps and scissors). It was unbelievable.

have you applied to med school yet? i would expect a question like: 'you wrote in your personal statement about how much you enjoyed working as an assistant nurse at the hospital. why don't you want to do that instead of becoming a doctor?'

tough question. :scared:

have you applied to med school yet? i would expect a question like: 'you wrote in your personal statement about how much you enjoyed working as an assistant nurse at the hospital. why don't you want to do that instead of becoming a doctor?'

Are you serious? I would hate to do my job now over being a physician, but it is arguably the best clinical experience of actually getting hands on medical experience that a pre-med person can do, not doing some meaningless volunteering stocking sheets or papers. Or being couped up in a lab doing research pipetting 800 samples of protein this and that.

I would argue that a person who would do the nursing assistant jobs shows an infinite more drive to be a physician and be involved in clinical medicine than somebody who does meaningless volunteer work or research, both of which have nothing to do with medicine (well, research is important for MD/PhD) I would ask of a person who did a lot of research and who was not applying MD/PhD "You wrote in your personal statement about how much you enjoyed doing research, why don't you want to do that instead of becoming a doctor?"

In terms of clinical experience, how can you compare something like stocking sheets or running 3 million beta gal assays over and over again to something like participating in traumas and doing CPR on somebody or Code Blues in ICU's, being in a clinical atmosphere interacting with physicians learning new treatments, illnesses, medications, interventions, etc everyday, or being involved in surgery.

How do you get a PCA job? Is there some certification that is needed. Im a junior right now and im planning on applying this summer, but i have not clinical experience that really amounts to much. If I would have to be certified what would be my best bet, in terms of whether or not i would have enough time to be certified and actually work this summer? Thanks

You need to get your Certified Nursing Asstiant certification for your state in order to become a PCA. Generally speaking, that means a course offered through a tech school, but sometimes nursing homes and hospitals offer them as well.

I would like to say, though, that being a CNA can really not be a fun job sometimes. I've been a CNA in a nursing home for the last four years, since I was sixteen, and it can be very stressful and physically demanding (Albeit a good preparation for becoming a doctor). Often times you can go under appreciated by some of the other staff, or patients will think that you are a nurse and demand things out of you that you are not capable of doing.

Also, at can often be hard to get a job in hospital as a PCA without first having a significant amount (one year) of experience first. (At least how it is around here.)

Being a CNA is a lot of hard work, but it can also be very rewarding, both in the medical knowledge and experience portion, but also the people you help and their families that do appreciate you. If there wasn't some good portion, I wouldn't have been still doing it after all these years! :)

Hope I helped a bit...and I am now offiicially a troll no longer.....