Getting harassed on SDN by narcissists, any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple896

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
See question.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The school can't be to blame for every single problem that lead to your position. If this was the case, every student would be failing. I think you need to look and see what other students are doing differently to make themselves successful. If you can't find something there, I think you need to reevaluate if optometry school is really for you. It's going to be stressful and the teachers aren't there to give you all the material like undergrad. A professional school take a lot more work individually to be successful.

Reactions: 1 user
What school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
The school can't be to blame for every single problem that lead to your position. If this was the case, every student would be failing. I think you need to look and see what other students are doing differently to make themselves successful. If you can't find something there, I think you need to reevaluate if optometry school is really for you. It's going to be stressful and the teachers aren't there to give you all the material like undergrad. A professional school take a lot more work individually to be successful.

@kh93: I absolutely do not get along with the student body in my class. They are basically grouped together, like high school students, and I feel I am only standing for myself and working for myself here. From what I know, students have not been doing anything differently unless they have been secretly getting information from other students. The rest you are absolutely wrong.

I am in optometry school, but my GPA is not good because of the external problems I had to go through adjusting to the place in the first place, and not to mention I had a very hard time adjusting with people with very rude attitudes. In addition, I feel that the way professors teach here at the school is not effective. I know I am fully capable of being in optometry school, but because of my average GPA, I might be getting dismissed, and now I don't know what to do.

I don't mean to give you a hard time, as it sounds as if you already are having one, but in your post you seem to blame everything and everyone, and to take no personal responsibility for your situation. You G.P.A. probably is not low simply because of "rude people" or "ineffective professors"; if these are contributing factors, you likely still have a role in the situation; and, if it truly is all external, then you probably would benefit from leaving the environment rather than attempting to remain within it.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is, "What do I want?" Do you want to stay, or do you want to leave? If the latter, you should go now rather than later; if the former, you must evaluate what your part is in your unsatisfactory situation, then maneouver to overcome this.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Adderall + 24/7 library + good diet + Hulk smash phone = You cant go wrong :droid:

Someone with average grades isn't going home unless they fire half the class...

Reactions: 1 users
If you genuinely feel that the school has been at fault or that you have received unfair treatment, then hire an attorney to help you navigate this further. If you're really dismissed, then I'm going to assume that you'll take quite a financial loss as well as the loss of the career that you presumably want. If you feel that you are capable of doing the work, yet you aren't doing well, then you'll need to identify the problem more specifically than you have here. I don't blame you for not wanting to go into great detail, but without knowing the specifics of your experience, this board won't be able to offer the kind of help that you need. What do you mean by average GPA? If it's the average, then why would you be dismissed? It seems that you would need to be below average for a dismissal on academic grounds, no? What do you mean by rude attitudes and ineffective teaching?

Do you want help dealing with a potential dismissal or advice on whether to stay in this environment? I can sense that you're unhappy where you are, and I'm sorry to hear about that.

I do wish you the best of luck, and I'm not going to necessarily assume that everything is your fault considering how some of the schools are being run.

I went to Optometry in puerto rico, and honestly my experience as a student with some the students in my year was so bad that I felt I was in high school all over again. If anyone knows anything true about this school which I should really know about, please let me know.

Last edited:
I went to Optometry in puerto rico, and honestly my experience as a student with some the students in my year was so bad that I felt I was in high school all over again. If anyone knows anything true about this school which I should really know about, please let me know.

if i was you id retake the oats and try to apply to another school where you would be happier. oh and get a job in the meantime

if i was you id retake the oats and try to apply to another school where you would be happier. oh and get a job in the meantime
The grass IS usually greener on the other side of the fence.

Wow, I am late to this convo. Wish I had seen it sooner... Yea IAUPR was the worst decision of my life. Such a terrible school. It makes me wonder how it maintains accreditation with such horrid teaching/grades/practices... I seriously question how much the ACOE actually knows about what happens at this place. To answer some of your concerns, The reason why people are so cliquey here is because they cheat. They acquire info from previous and forthcoming question banks and share it among themselves. It is known and faculty does nothing about it because their class averages are so low. To be honest, I think some of them (faculty) may even play a part in it. Its unbelievable. Sounds like your problem may have been trying to pass honestly. It is extremely hard to do because the teaching is so shoddy and the tests are written so poorly (spanish/english). For the hand full of us that do actually have integrity it takes a serious amount of self learning/self teaching. I am lucky in that several members of my family are ODs and can accurately explain things to me that are taught inaccurately in the school. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go to a profs office and point out in an actual Opto book showing where their .ppt file was either inaccurate or just plain wrong... Don't even get me started on Diaz... Anyway best of luck to you and pm me with any questions.