getting in after grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdgrrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. Let's see, I'm a junior in college, majoring in women's studies, minoring in chemistry. I'm planning to go to grad school and get a master's in women's studies, doing research on the medicalization of childbirth. I'd eventually like to specialize in ob/gyn. So, my gpa leaves something to be desired. It's 3.3 cumulative, 3.8 in my major, and 3.0 science. Is going to grad school first going to help that? Does that qualify as "life experience"? I'm going to grad school regardless, because it's something I really want to do, I just don't know what my chances are for med school. At this point, I'm pretty hell bent on DO rather than MD, but I guess I wouldn't turn down an MD if someone wanted to give it to me. If I don't get in at all, I'll probably go to nursing school and be a nurse practitioner. So, I guess my question is, do I have a popsicle's chance in hell of getting in? I won't be taking the MCAT until next summer, since I won't be applying for another two years at least. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

i am applying to med school after i receive my master's. i'm not sure if schools consider graduate school as life experience though, probably just past bac work. i believe you have a good chance, especially if you maintain a high gpa in your graduate studies. improving your grades as a graduate student shows the schools that you apply to that you are capable of handling "higher" level courses and that you are striving to continue your educational experience. if you slip in your graduate studies, which i'm sure you won't, it would be a red flag for some schools.

i had a worse undergrad gpa, so i took a full graduate load and took the prereqs for medschool at the same time and did very well. so i hope my achievements in the classroom will demonstrate my desire to continue my education.

keep improving while your in grad school and do well on the mcats and i'm sure you'll be fine

ac

Grad school will show that you can handle work at a post-grad level -- especially if your GPA is higher than your undergrad. I am finishing up my Master's degree now and my GPA is a 3.9 (with 2 classes left) while my undergrad GPA was a 3.4. During my interview they noticed that my grad GPA was much higher than my undergrad and commented that it appeared that I was able to handle more advanced coursework. I think that the most important thing is life experience. So, if you've been going to school for 20 years - have never shadowed a physician or worked in the medical field - with a 4.0 GPA and 45S MCAT score - you may not get in regardless. Don't forget to have fun and volunteer doing something that you enjoy.

Good luck! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that the majority of graduate programs grade you on a scale from B- to A, as opposed to undergrad programs, which grade from F to A. By definition, graduate GPAs will be higher than undergrad GPAs. Thus, a 3.9 in a grad program is not nearly as impressive as a 3.9 in an undergrad program, although publications, applied research, and other graduate-level activities are likely to add some flavor to your med school application.

nerdgrrl: I say go for a graduate degree if you enjoy women's studies. Take the MCAT and apply to DO programs. Your background is unique in that you're not the traditional run-of-the-mill med school applicant with a biology degree and 30 MCAT. As long as you can demonstrate to admissions committees that your background in women's studies has guided you toward wanting to become a physician, you'll undeniably be a stand-out candidate.

Good luck!

PH

Like I said, I'm going to grad school regardless of what medical schools think. My understanding of grading in graduate school (at least in the programs that I've looked at) is that you're expected to maintain higher grades. If you can't pull a 3.0, you're gone. And really, regardless of the grading system, I would think graduate coursework weighs more. I mean, my thesis courses are going to be significantly different than the lower division stuff from freshwoman year! Anyway, thanks for the input! I'm going to keep working, take the MCAT next year, and see where I'm at when it finally comes time to apply.

During undergrad (finished in '95) I had a lower gpa then you have now. I returned for my masters in biology two years ago and have maintained a 4.0 and also gained some good research experience. The contrast in gpa'swas brought up during my interview and I'm happy to say I'll be starting LECOM in August.