Getting in with past W's and F's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD1709

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I am a long time reader and finally decided to make an account. I am seeking some advice on whether everyone thinks I have a snowballs chance in h*** at getting into medical school. My story is that I graduated high school two years early by doing an accelerated home schooling program. At the young age of 16, I enrolled in my local junior college and didn't take it seriously. Then in the following year and a half I had huge family issues, i.e. deaths, depression, getting married to a military man and moving across the country. Needless to say my transcript reflects this with 6 w's, 4 F's and a D as of 2011..none of which are any med school pre-reqs.. I have since transferred colleges and although I am still at a junior college I am finally in a position where I am able to go full time and dedicate myself to my studies. Currently I have an additional 2 W's from my current school and do not plan on having any more hiccups until I finish my bachelor's. So basically I need everyone to be honest with me, do I have a chance of getting into medical school with a bad past if I try my damnedest at acing all of my pre-reqs and my mcat? I still have a good two years before I get my bs in psychology and an ready to apply. I know that I want to be in the medical field and definitely do want to pursue a career in medicine, but with everything that has happened in my past I am considering the possibility of a nursing program or a clinical psychology PHD program as well. Any sound advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. How is your gpa? The 6 Ws are not going to look good but they can be overcome with a strong gpa and mcat. I would recommend you look at osteopathic medical school because they only look at the grades of your current university. Good luck

Currently my GPA is a 4.0. Nowadays I am a great student and I dedicate myself 100% to my studies, but I worry that my past mishaps will keep me from being accepted. I will look into osteoopathic schools thanks for the help!! :D

Concur, but DO programs count all coursework taken, but ignore those that are retaken for higher grades. We recognize that the you of now is not the you of then. I've had students who transcripts show an entire year of Fs and Ds. What did they do? They reinvented themselves and subsequenct coruwork was stellar.

So, ace your classes, and, of course, do well on MCAT.

It depends. How is your gpa? The 6 Ws are not going to look good but they can be overcome with a strong gpa and mcat.

I would recommend you look at osteopathic medical school because they only look at the grades of your current university. Good luck