Getting into a Canadian Pharmacy School. Low GPA but with Biochem Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DualCitz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many canadian's are on here but I am wondering. So I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada and in Spring 2018 I will be graduating at my school in Utah with a Bachelors in Biochem. Now I have had some rough semesters where I had to take care of estates since family members died and things like that but it really hurt my gpa. So I am wondering just how critical the gpa is if you have a degree? And how competitive are the canadian pharmacy schools? Luckily I am a certified pharmacy tech in the usa and have been since I was actually 18 and I have a lot of work experience and research in pharmacy but I don't know if they just look at your gpa. It sucks too because most of them now don't look at PCAT scores in Canada such as Alberta. So does anyone have any advice?

I am going to canada btw or trying to because its way cheaper than the usa

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA and your average in percentage? Of what province might you be considered a resident?

What is your GPA and your average in percentage? Of what province might you be considered a resident?
More than likely alberta since my family is there. But right now it just dropped to a 2.9. Its slowly rising back up but it doesnt look good that I have two D's on my transcript and I have some C's like one in Biochem which looks terrible! But the others I am fixing.
'

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how to convert US GPA into Canadian GPA, or if they're treated as equivalent.
U of Alberta requires a Canadian GPA of 3.5, so it is likely not an option. Neither are the Maritimes, Manitoba, or Quebec even if you speak French.

You could try UBC, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Waterloo (I'm assuming you meet these schools' percentage grade cutoffs, which range from ~65-75%), but your chances aren't good. Canadian pharmacy schools are very much harder to get into than most American ones.

I don't know how to convert US GPA into Canadian GPA, or if they're treated as equivalent.
U of Alberta requires a Canadian GPA of 3.5, so it is likely not an option. Neither are the Maritimes, Manitoba, or Quebec even if you speak French.

You could try UBC, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Waterloo (I'm assuming you meet these schools' percentage grade cutoffs, which range from ~65-75%), but your chances aren't good. Canadian pharmacy schools are very much harder to get into than most American ones.
Yeah, i've heard the same. that Canadian pharmacy schools are much harder to get into than American ones. i knew a Canadian guy who interviewed at U of Toronto but did not get in, but he go into U of Michigan (tied #3 in the U.S., very good and prestigious school, all around well known school). it is cheaper but pharmacists in America make more than pharmacists in Canada. i think it depends on where you want to spend the rest of your life, Canada or America. i think transferring the 2 degrees would be a pain as well.