Getting into a DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akki6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I don't know if I should post this here or not...

I am currently a sophomore in college and a Economics major. I have taken Gen Chems (8 hrs) and Bio 1 (4 hrs)...currently taking Orgo 1. My grades in both chems were Bs, and a B+ in Bio 1. I am probably gonna end up with a C or C+ in orgo 1 this semester. I am thinking about going to a DO school for a while now. My overall gpa is around 3.48. I still have Bio 2, Orgo 2, and both Physics left and also MCAT to take. What do you think of my chances so far? I am also shadowing a MD right now and will shadow a DO as well. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're not a science major, try your best not to get lower than a B in your prereqs as the science gpa and non-science gpa are separated in the application process. A C in Organic 1 will not kill you but try to improve that for Orgo 2. You should really shoot for A's in the remaining prereqs because the B's you've gotten are dragging your science gpa to 3.0, and lower than that if you get a C in Orgo 1 (unless you've taken other science courses and aced them).

As a sophomore it might be a little early to tell you your chances, but you do need to improve the science gpa asap. Worry about the MCAT in a year or so. And if you haven't already, get involved in extracurricular activities--anything that interests you, not necessarily medical-related.

Reactions: 1 user
DocKrieger knows his stuff. Definitely focus on getting A's in the remaining pre-reqs, that should be priority #1. I was an eager Econ major too and I didn't realize how much weight the few science courses I took would carry. Because you'll only have a fraction of the science courses that the average Bio/Chem major has, your GPA will reflect those sub-par grades much more than it would for your classmates.

As a side note Do Not even think about taking the MCAT until you finish all the pre-reqs. I took it before finishing Orgo 1, 2 and Biochem and needless to say, I know I would have done much better had I waited. Once you feel you are sufficient in the material, take a summer or a light semester to spend studying for the MCAT and reviewing everything you learned in all of the pre-reqs. A 3.48 GPA is better than me, but it's still below average for most DO schools, so if you keep up that trend, you'll definitely need to impress with your MCAT.

Bottom line: It's too early to tell your chances. Consider retaking Orgo 1 if you know you'll get a C, especially if you don't Ace the rest of your pre-reqs. Study hard for the MCAT, continue shadowing, work on relationships with professors/physicians (especially DO's) to build contacts and future LoR's and definitely get involved in extracurriculars that you're passionate about. When it comes time to fill out applications and interview, admissions would rather hear about how passionate you are for baking muffins than about how you spent x,xxx greuling hours reluctantly pouring soup for homeless people.

Since you're not a science major, try your best not to get lower than a B in your prereqs as the science gpa and non-science gpa are separated in the application process. A C in Organic 1 will not kill you but try to improve that for Orgo 2. You should really shoot for A's in the remaining prereqs because the B's you've gotten are dragging your science gpa to 3.0, and lower than that if you get a C in Orgo 1 (unless you've taken other science courses and aced them).

As a sophomore it might be a little early to tell you your chances, but you do need to improve the science gpa asap. Worry about the MCAT in a year or so. And if you haven't already, get involved in extracurricular activities--anything that interests you, not necessarily medical-related.

Reactions: 1 user