Getting into a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phaedrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any good books out there about how to get in to the residency of your choice? I have the Iserson book, are there any others?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things about "First Aid to the Match". I went with Iserson's myself though. Iserson's is a little bit dated, but I did find it be pretty comprehensive. Remember that Residency directors are a diverse group, and even within any one specialty, they will be looking for a different things in their applicants. If Iserson's doesn't answer what you are looking for, you will probably have to speak with the dean of your student affairs or a residency program director to get the answer.

The Iserson book is good, and like the above poster said it is pretty comprehensive. There are tons of books on getting in, it's interesting that there are only a couple on getting into a residency.

Miller, L. Medical Students Guide to Successful Residency Matching

Was one of the books recomended by my Dean of Student Affairs. Iserson was the other.

I think Steven Polk's Medical School Survival Guide is one of the best books out there. It is out of print now. You may still be able to find it in your medical library though.

It offers very unique perspective for all physicians.

Are there any other books anyone would reccomend, or NOT reccomend, about getting into a residency? What about books on choosing a specialty?

personally, i haven't used ANY books for my Matching saga thus far.

i *do* think that Dr. Cuts should write a book called:

"Strike The Match: A Guide To Power Matching A Residency Program"

:clap:

If you'd like to advertise on SDN, please contact Lee Burnett about the current rates.

Posting an ad is a TOS violation.