Getting into a Specialty Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraxchik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 1st year dental student at USC, and I would like to specialize in either ortho or endo (at least for now). Besides, having really good board scores, what else can I do to increase my chances of getting into a specialty program? The grading system here at USC is very unorthodox and subjective because of the PBL program, so grades are a factor that I may have to negate when applying. Im not the president of the school or anything like that...just a regular student who is trying to get by. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

libraxchik said:
The grading system here at USC is very unorthodox and subjective because of the PBL program, so grades are a factor that I may have to negate when applying.

If you are serious about specializing I would not view grades as something negligible. Grading is subjective at every dental school not just at USC...it's a very subjective profession. Specialty programs look at class rank as well as board scores. You can't just pick one or the other.

dr_benj said:
If you are serious about specializing I would not view grades as something negligible. Grading is subjective at every dental school not just at USC...it's a very subjective profession. Specialty programs look at class rank as well as board scores. You can't just pick one or the other.

So true. You can show a prep or some other lab work to a professor, have him give you a horrible grade, then show it to the same professor 15 minutes later and have him praise the changes you've made to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get in good with everyone in the ortho or endo department at your school now so that come senior year, they'll love you and want you to stay there.

libraxchik said:
I'm a 1st year dental student at USC, and I would like to specialize in either ortho or endo (at least for now). Besides, having really good board scores, what else can I do to increase my chances of getting into a specialty program? The grading system here at USC is very unorthodox and subjective because of the PBL program, so grades are a factor that I may have to negate when applying. Im not the president of the school or anything like that...just a regular student who is trying to get by. Thanks.

For Endo you can pretty much count on doing a GPR unless you are ranked really high in your class (top 5) and having top notch board scores ( definately above 90). Ortho is pretty much the same except a GPR is not as important, although it might help. My advice to you is spend as much time with ortho/endo faculty as possible to get strong letters of recommendation, then do as well as you can in school and rock your boards. Yes, it really is this simple.

all of the above plus
DO RESEARCH

...and get a master's degree in oral biology/public health/etc if your school offers one...

Figure out who grades the subjective projects and only ask them for advice on how to improve...if you know a certain faculty member grades easier then schedule your graded patients on days when he'll be grading, etc...

Most importantly just give it your best and if you get in great and if you don't then at least you have no regrets from wondering what would have happened if you would have worked a little harder.

griffin04 said:
Get in good with everyone in the ortho or endo department at your school now so that come senior year, they'll love you and want you to stay there.

LOL.

For real?
Man, talk about brown nosing. I thought it would stop once I enter dental school. Geez.

KY2007 said:
For Endo you can pretty much count on doing a GPR unless you are ranked really high in your class (top 5) and having top notch board scores ( definately above 90). Ortho is pretty much the same except a GPR is not as important, although it might help. My advice to you is spend as much time with ortho/endo faculty as possible to get strong letters of recommendation, then do as well as you can in school and rock your boards. Yes, it really is this simple.

What exactly is the difference between an AEGD and GPR? I read somewhere that the difference is that GPR is more hospital-based whereas AEGD is more clinic-based. What kind of requirements do GPR programs have? Thanks a lot for your advice.

jk5177 said:
LOL.

For real?
Man, talk about brown nosing. I thought it would stop once I enter dental school. Geez.

Ugh. Dental school was all about brown-nosing in the subjectively graded classes like clinic.

Then ortho interviews are about more brown-nosing.

I could puke from all the brown-nosing I've come across the past 5 years.

you make it sound like you gotta stick your face so far up an instructor's ____ that you end up getting infected from anus bacteria.
while we're on the subject, do you suggest wiping the face towards or away from the bunghole?

AUG2UAG said:
you make it sound like you gotta stick your face so far up an instructor's ____ that you end up getting infected from anus bacteria.
while we're on the subject, do you suggest wiping the face towards or away from the bunghole?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: very funny. i actually laughed out loud.

KY2007 said:

how about college transcripts??

AUG2UAG said:

Actually, that's not good enough! you have to bring knee pads! And forget about wiping, just stick your nose right into the bunghole! (so that's what they call it now, huh!) It's not easy for the first timer but you'll get used to it! There will always be a few brown nosers in your class. You can spot them miles away! And yes, they all plan to specialize.

Dear AUG2UAG:
I love you quote. That is my favorite quote from Rumi. Beautiful. Simplistic. True.

Dear whoever:
Does anyone know what is PGY-1? Something first year?

"Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy:
-At first I thought, if I were Superman, a perfect secret identity would be "Clark Kent, Dentist," because you could save money on tooth X-rays. But then I thought, if a patient said, "How's my back tooth?" and you just looked at it with your X-ray vision and said, "Oh it's okay," then the patient would probably say, "Aren't you going to take an X-ray, stupid?" and you'd say, "Aw fuk you, get outta here," and then he probably wouldn't even pay his bill.

I like that deep thought.

jk5177 said:
Dear whoever:
Does anyone know what is PGY-1? Something first year?

At this point in time, unless you're moving to NY, don't worry about it. They have instituted a mandatory 1 year post-grad residency to get licensure in that state instead of clinical boards.