Getting into Academia

Started by ImmunOnc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ImmunOnc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advice on how to tailor my last 18 months of fellowship toward making myself a competitive candidate for a medical line tract position at a university. I come from a program of 18 months clinical (hem/onc) and 18 months research. I have received already advice from some faculty and fellows, but wanted an outside perspective. In our program there have been fellows staying on a year or two (some much longer) with some obtaining successful placement at an academic center while others going into private practice or industry. While I do not fault these individuals as I understand it is a very personal decision I just want to make sure I am well prepared for the job market of academia. Of note, some of these fellows are MD/PhD with some who completed there PhD several years before their medical training to others who were fast-trackers. I myself do not have PhD and currently barely starting on projects now. My focus will be on clinical trials in thoracic oncology. Specifically, I want to know peoples opinion on the nuances of making yourself a competitive applicant more than the obvious of publications and grant funding. I know my mentor will continue to help me greatly, but I want an outside perspective as well as incite into job prospects in that particular field.