MedPeds into Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1076141

Is it possible/common for oncologists with a MedPeds background to work with both pediatric and adult cancer patients? Or do those require separate fellowships/training pathways?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is pretty uncommon but people have done it. They are separate pathways, but for example I met a fellow on the interview trail that was doing 2 years of adult Onc followed by 2 years of Peds Onc (I believe). I would imagine another issue is that since it is so uncommon there aren’t a ton of jobs out there that are set up for someone with that training. What sort of practice would you be interested in?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure, still very early in the journey (incoming M1), but very set on hem/onc and was just curious if that was a path that existed.

Members don't see this ad :)
It exists but not formally in most places. You basically have to find a place with both fellowships that’s willing to create that path for you.
I had a co-fellow who did that. She treats adult and AYA sarcoma now.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a co-resident that did something similar but with hematology, interested primarily in longitudinal care of sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies. Got a frankenprogram put together by the IM/Peds heme fellowships for her.

Jobs will also be challenging post-training, since kids and adults get different cancers and receive different treatment, and you’d need to identify a niche that would make sense to prospective employers. In addition to sarcoma (mentioned above), adolescent and young adult leukemia and lymphoma might be an area where an institution might want to hire someone who could see kids and adults. Also, peds onc jobs are basically all at academic children’s hospitals - is that the setting you want to work in? Lots to think about over the next many years of training!