Getting into an Ophtho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetDoc01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M1 and as of now am really interested in ophthalmology. Can anyone provide info on what it takes to get into an ophtho residency besides a high board score. What should I be doing during the summer between my M1 and M2 year? (I am thinking about doing clinical research over the summer). Is it necessary to show interest in ophtho throughout med school? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out the FAQ on applying to ophthalmology residency in this forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=66427

You should go to your student affairs office and talk to the coordinator who helps students apply to ophthalmology to get some advise. You should also get a list of 3rd/4th year students who are applying to ophthalmology to get their advise and get the insight on attendings at your institution.

My website may have some helpful information: http://www.dralbertlin.com

Many people don't decide to do ophtho until later in school, so these recommendations should not stress you out because you don't HAVE to do them to match, but if you wanted to take advantage of knowing what you want to do early, then here are some thoughts.

I would recommend taking every research opportunity possible, starting now. It takes a long time to get something in print, so starting as an MS1 is a huge advantage. As a first year, you could ask your upper classman who they would recommend approaching, and then approach that faculty member about doing research. As a first year, you may have time to do a case report. Most academic physicians have many case reports in mind and are just waiting for someone who is willing to write it.

If you have the time to work on a project during your summer, then go for it. Finding the right mentor is important: someone who understands that you'd like to show residency committees that you can start AND finish a project is the type of person you want to work with. If that person is a full professor that will also be nice for your rec letter, and if that person happens to be well known nationally in his or her field and you do with with your work, then you will be money. Work very hard with this person and offer to go the extra mile. Present at as many conferences as possible, including your local grand rounds, and get as involved in ophtho as you can. Get to know as many of the ophthalmologists in your department as possible and create relationships. Relationships are probably the most valuable part of your application package, in the end.

Lastly, it's important to be well-rounded and to do well in your classes and other rotations. Being single minded early on will hurt you. If you want to do ophtho, then you can be honest with your peds (for example) instructors about that, but don't let it curb your enthusiasm for peds when you are on that rotation. Attempt to approach each rotation as if that were going to be your field. You never know, it may be.

Also, when you do projects/presentations for other rotations, you can often pick eye-related topics. When my peds instructor mentioned in my eval that I gave a fascinating presentation on neonatal eye findings, it ended up in my deans letter, and that material was stuff I wanted to learn about and the other peds residents and faculty were happy to learn some details that they didn't already know.

If you are torn between ophtho and a less competitive field, you may as well go for ophtho now knowing that it's more important to do some extra things for the tougher match, and if you change your mind and choose the less competitive field, you'll still be ok (but maybe not vice versa).

If you get involved in ophtho early on, then you'll be one of the lucky ones who knows how great of a field it is and will probably never turn back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an M1 and as of now am really interested in ophthalmology. Can anyone provide info on what it takes to get into an ophtho residency besides a high board score. What should I be doing during the summer between my M1 and M2 year? (I am thinking about doing clinical research over the summer). Is it necessary to show interest in ophtho throughout med school? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

connections connections connections

I am meeting with a few ophthalmologists in hopes to get a clinical research opportunity this summer. However, I am not sure if I will be able to get published. Today, I also met with a doctor doing clinical research in diabetic neuropathy and she mentioned that all the students she worked with in the past got published. So my question is...

In order to get into ophthalmology, is is more important to get published (even if its not ophthalmology related) or have ophthalmology related clinical research experience?? I am having a hard time deciding which researcher to work with as I also found the diabetes research pretty interesting.

Thanks!

Obviously, publishing in Ophthalmology would be ideal. I can't speak on behalf of an admissions committee, but I believe that having Ophthalmology-related research experience would be prefered over publishing in a non-related field. There are many benefits beyond just having your name on a paper:

1) Your experience doing ophtho research will help you decide early if this is the career for you. Ophthalmology is a difficult field for medical students to grasp, because most schools only devote about a day's worth of lectures to ophtho during the basic science years so you learn extremely little regarding what the field is really about. If a school offers a mandatory rotation, it's usually 1-2 weeks during 3rd year, and most students are fumbling around with the slit lamp, lenses, ophthalmoscope and other gadgets and can't appreciate the meaning of what they see (or cannot see). If a student does decide to do a elective, it's usually not until late in the 3rd year or early 4th year, which is really cutting it close in terms of deciding to pursue the field, since the early match application is due August/early September. Having early exposure to the field is invaluable.

2) One of the big breakthroughs I had as a medical student in solidifying my choice for ophtho was finally being able to see something through the indirect ophthalmoscope, and putting it together with what I had been researching related to the retina. All of a sudden everything made sense, and I had a greater appreciation for everything I saw, including FAs, OCTs, etc. Having your own little island of expertise makes learning about ophthalmology, which is so different from most of what you learn in med school, that much more meaningful.

3) Once you are in the loop of ophtho research, you'll start to hear of other faculty who have some projects cooking, or overworked residents who don't have the time to write up their work. Stay attuned to these opportunities, because they can be a great way to get your name on some papers. People are more likely to give you these opportunities if you are visible, and have proven that you can work hard. It's a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

4) Programs will ask you about your research on interviews. It is a huge plus if you can speak thoughtfully about your research topic. Interviewers may not be as engaged if you're talking about research not related to the field. (In fact, not one interviewer asked me about any research I conducted that was not related to the eye). Also, interviewers want to see that you had more than just a peripheral role in a project that you may have taken on just to get some ophtho research under your belt.

5) If you work hard and closely with your research mentor, that can materialize into a solid letter of recommendation, which is key in the application process.

If you had no idea what specialty you'd want to go into, I'd recommend taking the diabetic neuropathy project since it will help your application no matter what you are applying for. But since you are seriously considering Ophthalmology, I'd say go for the ophtho research and hustle to try and get to know people and get your work published. They pay-off will be greater.

thanks so much! this helps a lot! i will definitely be working with an ophthalmologist this summer!

Obviously, publishing in Ophthalmology would be ideal. I can't speak on behalf of an admissions committee, but I believe that having Ophthalmology-related research experience would be prefered over publishing in a non-related field. There are many benefits beyond just having your name on a paper:

1) Your experience doing ophtho research will help you decide early if this is the career for you. Ophthalmology is a difficult field for medical students to grasp, because most schools only devote about a day's worth of lectures to ophtho during the basic science years so you learn extremely little regarding what the field is really about. If a school offers a mandatory rotation, it's usually 1-2 weeks during 3rd year, and most students are fumbling around with the slit lamp, lenses, ophthalmoscope and other gadgets and can't appreciate the meaning of what they see (or cannot see). If a student does decide to do a elective, it's usually not until late in the 3rd year or early 4th year, which is really cutting it close in terms of deciding to pursue the field, since the early match application is due August/early September. Having early exposure to the field is invaluable.

2) One of the big breakthroughs I had as a medical student in solidifying my choice for ophtho was finally being able to see something through the indirect ophthalmoscope, and putting it together with what I had been researching related to the retina. All of a sudden everything made sense, and I had a greater appreciation for everything I saw, including FAs, OCTs, etc. Having your own little island of expertise makes learning about ophthalmology, which is so different from most of what you learn in med school, that much more meaningful.

3) Once you are in the loop of ophtho research, you'll start to hear of other faculty who have some projects cooking, or overworked residents who don't have the time to write up their work. Stay attuned to these opportunities, because they can be a great way to get your name on some papers. People are more likely to give you these opportunities if you are visible, and have proven that you can work hard. It's a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

4) Programs will ask you about your research on interviews. It is a huge plus if you can speak thoughtfully about your research topic. Interviewers may not be as engaged if you're talking about research not related to the field. (In fact, not one interviewer asked me about any research I conducted that was not related to the eye). Also, interviewers want to see that you had more than just a peripheral role in a project that you may have taken on just to get some ophtho research under your belt.

5) If you work hard and closely with your research mentor, that can materialize into a solid letter of recommendation, which is key in the application process.

If you had no idea what specialty you'd want to go into, I'd recommend taking the diabetic neuropathy project since it will help your application no matter what you are applying for. But since you are seriously considering Ophthalmology, I'd say go for the ophtho research and hustle to try and get to know people and get your work published. They pay-off will be greater.