Getting into an oral surgery program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad student interested in dentistry and have shadowed several dentists in my area. I have briefly seen some OS work done and thought it was very interesting. I am apprehensive to pursue this route b/c I might get stuck as a GP. If you do a GPR or a AEGD residency, do you have more of a chance to get into a OS program either MD included or not? I have just heard that it is real comp. in D-school and you got to get high board scores and a high class rank to match. If I chose to gain experience in the OS route in my GPR and I could get good recs, is it more likely to get accepted in a program the following yr.? Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDr. said:
I am an undergrad student interested in dentistry and have shadowed several dentists in my area. I have briefly seen some OS work done and thought it was very interesting. I am apprehensive to pursue this route b/c I might get stuck as a GP. If you do a GPR or a AEGD residency, do you have more of a chance to get into a OS program either MD included or not? I have just heard that it is real comp. in D-school and you got to get high board scores and a high class rank to match. If I chose to gain experience in the OS route in my GPR and I could get good recs, is it more likely to get accepted in a program the following yr.? Any input would be great.
If you can't stomach even the possibility of being happy "getting stuck as a GP," don't go to dental school. Period.

i agree. it's not worth the risk of being 200K in debt and not being able to use your degree.

aphistis said:
If you can't stomach even the possibility of being happy "getting stuck as a GP," don't go to dental school. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally agree. also, i have known many people to seek the OMF residency because of the MD degree/ or a "better status" or what not....if this is the case, then do not pursue dentistry. Go to med school. It's actually easier to get into a med school than an OMF residency. But again, this may not be your case..

PharmDr. said:
I am apprehensive to pursue this route b/c I might get stuck as a GP.
:laugh: (grabs popcorn and heads for the couch)

aphistis said:

yep...go to med school

PharmDr. said:
That's a lot of IFs buddy. How about just make sure that you at least LIKE Dentistry first?! Even as an OMFS (with a MD, your preference?!) you still have to do "general" dentistry, sucking out teeth for a living (damn good living btw!)

Generally, specialties are competitive to get in. Doing a year of GPR or 2yrs of AEGD may just end up wasting your time after all if you don't have a competitive class rank, board score part I, good LORs, unless you can hook up with the Program Director's daughter during your GPR.

Take one step at a time, baby step! :) You seem to know what you're doing. Don't forget to check your ego at the door when deciding about dentistry though!
Good luck.

PharmDr. said:
I am apprehensive to pursue this route b/c I might get stuck as a GP. .

Yah, every night my fiancee comes home crying that she is only "stuck as a GP", while trying not to trip over all the money she made that day. Meanwhile I am shouting halleluah while eating ramen noodles every night with my crappy residents pay.

north2southOMFS said:
Yah, every night my fiancee comes home crying that she is only "stuck as a GP", while trying not to trip over all the money she made that day. Meanwhile I am shouting halleluah while eating ramen noodles every night with my crappy residents pay.
Tell us how its treatin' ya in 5 years. :cool:

sorry if I offended any of you guys about "only being a GP". I should have made it clear that I really do enjoy dentistry. I am just stuck between med vs. dent school. I am just exploring my options and have liked the advice I have recieved thus far with SDN over the months. Its funny cause I know two dentists that are friends of mine and my parents and are very close to me. One dentist is in his late 40's and the other is 50 something and both said they would let me become one of their associates in their practices and eventually I would have very established practices (both have 3 offices each).

zdaddy08 said:
yep...go to med school

If you go to medical school you could very easily "get stuck" in family medicine or as an internist etc, making less money and working more hours than a general dentist and having to spend three years in a residency. :smuggrin: In my opinion, the oral cavity is much nicer than the holes you would be looking up in those professions.

Extraction said:
If you go to medical school you could very easily "get stuck" in family medicine or as an internist etc, making less money and working more hours than a general dentist and having to spend three years in a residency. :smuggrin: In my opinion, the oral cavity is much nicer than the holes you would be looking up in those professions.

true...true...

If your interested in oral surgery and your confident in your abilities, I see no reason why someone shouldn't aim for something they want. Just hit the ground running when you get in ready to be at the top of the class. I bet most people who specialize know so in the beginning b/c of the competition. If you interested in other medical specialities, then you may reconsider. I was in the same boat. Just be ready to put in the work.