Getting into an OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye lovethe eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm about ready to finish up my sophomore year of undergrad and I am now considering OT. I have recently come across the idea but am a little scared of my chances. I am currently a biology major but I am thinking about switching to chemistry or something else. I have taken a few of the pre-reqs but not all. My GPA is pretty low because of being too social; I would say it's probably going to be about a 2.8 by the end of this year. I'm thinking that if I switch my major that I'll have to be in undergrad for an extra year so that will give me 3 years to bump up my GPA. However, I'm a little worried that it won't get high enough and I will have wasted my time. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have also been considering Speech-Path and there is a speech-path BS program here that I am thinking of switching to.

Things are just a little confusing right now and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I guess my question here is whether or not it sounds like I have a chance to get into an OT program 2-3 years down the road.

Thanks so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Relative to what is being shared here and elsewhere, your preliminary information would not encourage beyond acknowledgement of 3 years to get it in gears. The speech therapy option @ your school might merit consideration.

Hi everyone,

I'm about ready to finish up my sophomore year of undergrad and I am now considering OT. I have recently come across the idea but am a little scared of my chances. I am currently a biology major but I am thinking about switching to chemistry or something else. I have taken a few of the pre-reqs but not all. My GPA is pretty low because of being too social; I would say it's probably going to be about a 2.8 by the end of this year. I'm thinking that if I switch my major that I'll have to be in undergrad for an extra year so that will give me 3 years to bump up my GPA. However, I'm a little worried that it won't get high enough and I will have wasted my time. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have also been considering Speech-Path and there is a speech-path BS program here that I am thinking of switching to.

Things are just a little confusing right now and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I guess my question here is whether or not it sounds like I have a chance to get into an OT program 2-3 years down the road.

My advice would be to try to get some shadowing in with both fields and see which one you like better. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want to do OT, buckle down and bring up your GPA and I really think you'd be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I agree, get some shadowing in both in OT and Speech. I truly wish I had done more of it when I was in undergrad thousands of years ago.

Also don't worry yourself sick over your 2.8 GPA. Science courses can pull down your GPA quickly. You can certainly bring it up if you work hard. So you won't be graduating with a 3.9, big deal. What's important is that you move forward and work hard in your "major" courses, depending on what you decide on. No one here was likely perfect in undergrad, I wasn't.

Good luck.. Sounds like you have some options, check them out and SHADOW in all the fields you mentioned if you can..you never know what you may end up loving!

I think I had a 2.8 by the end of the first half of my sophomore semester (I had C's in pre-cal, political science, biology 1, gen chem 1, and a C+ in calculus). I also got a No-Credit for organic chemistry that semester as well (which didn't count towards my GPA, but I feel that it's worth mentioning). I am an anthropology major, however, and getting out of pre-med allowed me to pull up my GPA. I think I have a 3.3 right now. While you may not be graduating with a high GPA, I suggest you get lots of shadowing hours because that and the recommendations will go a long way. It's important that you convey your passion for the field through your personal statement and interview. GPA isn't everything.

Also, some schools understand that some students may take a bit longer to adjust to the fast pace of college and may be more lenient when looking at your earlier grades. If they see that you have progressed through the semesters, that would help you. Some schools will weight your last 60 or so credits more heavily than say, your first 60.

I think I had a 2.8 by the end of the first half of my sophomore semester (I had C's in pre-cal, political science, biology 1, gen chem 1, and a C+ in calculus). I also got a No-Credit for organic chemistry that semester as well (which didn't count towards my GPA, but I feel that it's worth mentioning). I am an anthropology major, however, and getting out of pre-med allowed me to pull up my GPA. I think I have a 3.3 right now. While you may not be graduating with a high GPA, I suggest you get lots of shadowing hours because that and the recommendations will go a long way. It's important that you convey your passion for the field through your personal statement and interview. GPA isn't everything.

Also, some schools understand that some students may take a bit longer to adjust to the fast pace of college and may be more lenient when looking at your earlier grades. If they see that you have progressed through the semesters, that would help you. Some schools will weight your last 60 or so credits more heavily than say, your first 60.

What are those "some schools" you note, not requiring a complete academic record? Get specific, no pablum. It's not helpful.

I thought my post made sense. What do you mean by a "complete academic record"? Are you confused by what I said about the first/last 60 credits? This pertains more to people who are still in the process of their undergrad such as myself and the OP.

And for the record, I was accepted into SUNY Downstate. It's a very competitive program, in case you didn't know.

Downstate- it's around the Crown Heights area of Brooklyn, NY.