Getting into Apothecary field?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by hprph, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hprph

Hi all,

I have worked only in hospice pharmacy for several years since I graduated from school. (it was a 100% consulting/phone job for MDs - absolutely no meds on site for dispensing) My company recently closed down and I was looking into Apothecary as my next job. My concern is that I only had one tiny semester of compounding in school and it was in my first semester of my first year and I really do not remember anything at all. I did do a rotation my second year of pharmacy school at an apothecary shop and loved it. However I did the tech jobs (followed the printed 'recipe' and waited for the RPh to check my work).

My question is do I need a residency to work at apothecary or any other training? I don't want to be "thrown in" the job when I do not feel comfortable with this field. I really do not know anything about compounding other than my rotation but like I said, I would receive the printed out 'recipe' and just follow the directions. Do all compounding meds have a pre-written recipe or does the RPh come up with the recipe? From what I can remember at my rotation, all the scripts had a pre-written recipe. I vaguely remember from my schooling many many years ago learning about compounding procedures and when to use what for taste, delivery system, filler, base, etc...but not enough to feel comfortable.

Do apothecary shops have training or assume as an RPh you already know the field? Any advice would be appreciated. I am a quick learner but learn better by working hands-on, not necessarily only reading.

Thanks.

2. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Whats an apothecary shop? Oh yeah, thats where the druggist works.....and they sell soda fountain drinks.

3. blueclassring

blueclassring Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The only way to get into the Apothecary/Compounding field is to apply for a job. Otherwise, Gallipot and PCCA offer courses on compounding. You can open your compounding pharmacy after that!!!