Getting into Caribbean schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheerChickMD69

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.06 gpa right now and I'm starting my third year of college. So far out of the prereqs I took bio. It looks like this is as good as I can do, so I'm hoping my gpa will be around 2.9-3.1 when I graduate. Would I still be competitive to get into Caribbean schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend on your MCAT.

As long as you have around a 3.0 an MCAt of 25+, you should get into all the caribbean schools (unless you have a very very bad interview).

BTW- What's with the avatar?

Members don't see this ad :)
McGillGrad said:
It will depend on your MCAT.

As long as you have around a 3.0 an MCAt of 25+, you should get into all the caribbean schools (unless you have a very very bad interview).

BTW- What's with the avatar?

Thanks for the info. I heard that the average for the MCAT is around 24 so hopefully it won't be too bad.

The avatar is a pic of me.

A cumulative 3.0 is the bare minimum needed for real consideration to AUC and Ross unless you have an MCAT above 25 and a personal story. SGU's requirements are higher. I had a friend who was rejected from there with a 25 MCAT and 3.3 GPA, plus post-bac and tons of research.

You should try and keep your GPA at a 3.0 and you will have taken care of the first step.

On the other side, there are many good Caribbean schools that you can get in without a 3.0. St. Matthews and St. Eustatius are excellent schools and I know people who got in with a 2.4 GPA. Guess what? Many of them have their MD's right now and are doing residencys.

The point is to relax, take care of business now, and see what happens. In the future, you will open up doors for yourself that way.

Hey you definitely dont need a 3.0, especially if you apply to Ross to start January or May, its easier to get in then. It would probably guarantee you a spot with a 3.0 if you are at a decent school. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and got in with much less, but had decent MCAT and some postbach work. Good luck, sexy pic.

Havelock said:
Hey you definitely dont need a 3.0, especially if you apply to Ross to start January or May, its easier to get in then. It would probably guarantee you a spot with a 3.0 if you are at a decent school. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and got in with much less, but had decent MCAT and some postbach work. Good luck, sexy pic.

No, you are wrong. I know this from having went through the application process. You are not guaranteed a spot if you have a 3.0. People told me this before I applied. It wasn't true.

Call Dr. Clutter (in Miami) or Nancy K. (Dr. Ross's daughter) in the Michigan office. They will tell you the truth. Admission standards have changed.

since nobody here on this board are on any medical school admissions committee, be it ross or any other, we can only give you presumptions at best. your best bet is to do as aucdoctobe has said, call up the admissions office, dr clutter preferably. he is very knowledgeable and will give you all the information you need. also, standards have risen dramatically in the past year or so, so saying that all you need is a 3.0 is not valid information. good luck.

I stated "probably" not definitely, learn to read, this is my assumption. Also if you attend a "reputable" undergrad school, meaning a 3.0 from Fayetteville State doesnt mean as much as 3.0 from a major university.

you stated you DEFINITELY dont need a 3.0 and that IT IS easier to get into ross given the semster. these are obviously assumptions given you are not an expert on ross admissions, nor am i, but my point is that stating your case using the words you chose gives the OP faulty information. and another thing, in recent years more and more people have been applying to ross every semester, so no specific semester is easier or harder to get into than the next.

ps i know how do read, you need to learn how to convey your opinion through your words.

The words "definitely" and "probably" occur in two different sentences there buddy and if I got in with less than 3.0 (May 2004) that means that you definitely dont need a 3.0 to get in. Enough said, I put in my two cents so did you, good luck on your final, just trying to give some true info about my personal situation with Ross.
Peace

CheerChickMD69 said:
I have a 3.06 gpa right now and I'm starting my third year of college. So far out of the prereqs I took bio. It looks like this is as good as I can do, so I'm hoping my gpa will be around 2.9-3.1 when I graduate. Would I still be competitive to get into Caribbean schools?

I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. Try to do your best on the MCAT and get some clinical experience (whether it's on the job or shadowing). Get a good letter from an attending, and see what happens.

Good luck!