Getting into Dental School with CC prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quanpop89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have decided to change careers and go back to school to become an Oral Surgeon. I have a BA in Psychology (3.3 GPA) and a Masters in Public Health (3.3 GPA). Currently I am looking to enroll in a local CC to take the prerequisites for dental school. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to pursue pre-reqs at a CC? I have tons of research experience and I am currently reaching out to oral surgeons at the VA (where I work) for shadowing opportunities. Also, what are my chances of getting into dental school? Thank you all for responding.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most dental schools prefer university work, but there are a few out there that will accept limited CC work (no more than 1 year). If you want your credits to be more widely accepted, I'd plan to do them at a university. In any case, research each school to which you plan on applying and go from there.

On the chances note... it's great you have both a BA and a Masters. Work hard to get straight A's in all your science pre-reqs to maintain a high science GPA and boost your overall GPA. Sounds like you have a strong work, research, and extra curricular background. Continue to shadow and do well on your DAT, and you will be fine.
Thank you so much for responding and sharing..I figured since I'm 25, now is the perfect time to pursue this!

Reactions: 1 user
Most dental schools prefer university work, but there are a few out there that will accept limited CC work (no more than 1 year). If you want your credits to be more widely accepted, I'd plan to do them at a university. In any case, research each school to which you plan on applying and go from there.

On the chances note... it's great you have both a BA and a Masters. Work hard to get straight A's in all your science pre-reqs to maintain a high science GPA and boost your overall GPA. Sounds like you have a strong work, research, and extra curricular background. Continue to shadow and do well on your DAT, and you will be fine.

Caveat: he will be fine to get into Dental School. Matching into OMFS is another story entirely, no?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, getting into dental school is one thing. Matching for OS I a completely different beast. You've got to be one of the smartest/hardest working in a class full of smart, hardworking people.

So what should I do to increase my odds of getting into a OMFS? I was thinking about joining the navy after dental school and conducting an OMFS residency. Is that possible or highly unlikely?

Last edited:
What information would make it helpful for you to comment?

Last edited:
Yea, getting into dental school is one thing. Matching for OS I a completely different beast. You've got to be one of the smartest/hardest working in a class full of smart, hardworking people.
So what should I do to increase my odds of getting into a OMFS? I was thinking about joining the navy after dental school and conducting an OMFS residency. Is that possible or highly unlikely?

I think you should just worry about getting into dental school first. Once you've completed a few years, then worry about getting into an OMFS program. Good luck!

Totally true about OMFS being a different beast. If you're applying to dental school go in with a mindset of coming out as a general dentist, you'll have to maintain good grades, network, research etc. during your years in dental school if OMFS is your route. I believe most specialties require applicants to take the GRE. As for military residences, head over to the military subforum they'll probably know best.

Asked and answered. Here's your six year plan:

1. Finish your pre-requisites.
2. Take the DAT.
3. Gain acceptance to dental school.
4. Graduate dental school.
Thank you!

To answer the OP's original question, I would stay away from completing ALL your pre-reqs at a community college. You can get away with a few classes but most should be from a 4-year institution. Personally, I took some pre-reqs at my community college and I got into my first choice school during the last application cycle. Admission committees take into consideration an entire application- not just where you took your courses.

As far as specializing, I agree with BeaverLover. Go in with the mindset that you want to finish as a general dentist. You never know, you could come to find you enjoy general dentistry or a different specialty.

To answer the OP's original question, I would stay away from completing ALL your pre-reqs at a community college. You can get away with a few classes but most should be from a 4-year institution. Personally, I took some pre-reqs at my community college and I got into my first choice school during the last application cycle. Admission committees take into consideration an entire application- not just where you took your courses.

As far as specializing, I agree with BeaverLover. Go in with the mindset that you want to finish as a general dentist. You never know, you could come to find you enjoy general dentistry or a different specialty.
Makes sense, appreciate your input