Getting into dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a 3rd year attending UC Irvine. My grades in the past were a really low, as a matter of fact I was on academic probation all of first year. However, that was when I was a computer engineer major taking Physics and what not. It was not until i switched to Biology that my grades finally started to go up (albeit a few c's here and there, also i will begin research shortly). My GPA is still around the 2.5 area (coming from a sub-2.0). Now that my clases are getting harder I feel like i will not to be appealing to dental schools. I was wondering what your input in my situation is, and if extra curriculars will benifit me at all (i am a discussion leader for a political club, on the dental comittee for a club that runs a clinic in mexico, and on dance teams). Also, rather than going back to school if i dont get into to dental school, would working in a dental office would make me a more enticing candidate? (side note: My family owns a dental prostetics [dentures] business that i have been involved with since high school). My goal is enevitibly University of the Pacific Arthur Dugoni Dental School.

Members don't see this ad.

you might be headed for a post bac. Unless you slay the DAT and do alot of community service. Admissions generally only look at gpa and not degree program, so........you just need to show them that you can improve.

you wanna go to UOP? my understanding is that they have a little give on the GPA if you can destroy the DAT. score 19 or + across the board and you got a shot. but your GPA has gotta be above 2.7 i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just another pre-dent, but I just wanted to say I'm doing grad school after a rough undergrad and I'm really enjoying it. I feel like I'm filling in any gaps in my education. Also I empathize about the engineering classes--some of them are really rough (like heat transfer!)

I have a degree in chemical engineering and applied math, so I understand also. But the schools don't care.

It may take some time, but schools want to see a really strong upward trend. I have a cumulative gpa of 2.33/2.1 overall/science for 5 years I spent doing Electrical engineering. Since then I've been back in school for 4 years now in my 5th and my grades still don't clear 3.0 cumulative. However, because my upward trend is really strong, I was able to get a few 1st round interviews. I'm hoping to be able to get more in the 2nd/3rd rounds

i'm thinking you need to go on and get a masters or something in order to pull your GPA up. from what i hear U of P is a very numbers oriented school so your DAT and GPA really matter. i don't think they give anyone a chance below a 3.0. also, this cycle has been extremely competitive and i'm sure the averages at every dental school are going to be much higher this year. 19 is no longer a competitive score so shoot for at least a 21 across the board to compensate for your DAT. Good luck!

It sounds like you are headed for a post-bac program, but I would apply anyway because you never know what schools are looking for. VCU is a good example. They are turning down a lot of high stat people, for people they feel are more well rounded. Just a heads up on UoP, i have tons of extracurriculars, a 21 TS 20 AA and 23 PAT with a 3.6 GPA and I haven't heard anything from them. Looks like their numbers are going to be really high this year. So don't get your hopes up too high because they are really numbers oriented. Good luck!

Not to be a bummer or anything, but you HAVE to get those numbers up..there is no way around it. D-schools throw away half their apps as soon as they get them. Its getting to be like 15-20 apps/seat!! Sometimes even more!

GPA and DAT!! everything else is just gravy. Get those "mashed potatoes" up! ...damn, now I'm hungry....:(