getting into kentucky impossible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Estimated in-state - 119
Estimated out-of-state -13

is it next to impossible for an out of stater (specifically an international) to get in? look at those stats...

Members don't see this ad.

I applied early, but haven't gotten an invite from them yet. I don't have high hopes for Kentucky, since I'm from out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
KY is really, really tough for out-of-staters. I know of several out of state people who have had exceptional GPA/PCAT and have been rejected. I kinda wish they would make it a little less lopsided to KY residents, although I'm from KY so that worked out pretty well for me :D

It can work out either way. I'm currently going to Cincinnati and they have no preference whatsoever as to where you come from. Consider how irritating it is to have different pre-req requirements than any other college and having to try to fulfill other college requirements just to have a shot because UC only admits 96 people per year.

the best way to get into UK even with a less than stellar background is to do Early Decision when the PharmCAS application open next year.

with ED, they are looking for cream of the crop, not a less than stellar background. a less than stellar background gets you dumped into the general pool.

KY is really, really tough for out-of-staters. I know of several out of state people who have had exceptional GPA/PCAT and have been rejected. I kinda wish they would make it a little less lopsided to KY residents, although I'm from KY so that worked out pretty well for me :D

I know originally this was the case because of it being the only pharmacy school in the state. With it being a state funded school, they have specific requirements on admissions. Now that Sullivan is open in Louisville (yay!!) I wonder if they will eventually adjust this. I know Sullivan doesn't set specific state requirements, they accept from wherever (but it is a private school also).

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up not applying by considering your input.

Hopefully I ended up saving $115 rather than giving up a seat at UK.

My PCAT is good but GPA is **** and I'm an international student (like an Out of Stater but even worse!) so I figured Kentucky would not work out, even though their PharmD/MS Econ appeals to me.

i applied and got in there last year (but declined and am at ohio state now). i didn't like the state or school (first time i'd been). i was an out-of-state applicant, white (yes it def matters), very high gpa and sci gpa, very high pcat, 6+ months pharmacy experience and got my application in around august or september i think. i also did extremely well in the interview while a lot of people bombed.

so, yes you have a chance, but yeah...not much.

good luck