Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

getting into kentucky impossible?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ffpickle, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer
    2+ Year Member

Estimated in-state - 119
    Estimated out-of-state -13

is it next to impossible for an out of stater (specifically an international) to get in? look at those stats...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cinnamoroll12

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I applied early, but haven't gotten an invite from them yet. I don't have high hopes for Kentucky, since I'm from out-of-state.

4. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm from Ohio and I just got accepted to Kentucky. It is possible!!!! But you only have 12 spots left. ;-)

5. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    KY is really, really tough for out-of-staters. I know of several out of state people who have had exceptional GPA/PCAT and have been rejected. I kinda wish they would make it a little less lopsided to KY residents, although I'm from KY so that worked out pretty well for me :D

6. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It can work out either way. I'm currently going to Cincinnati and they have no preference whatsoever as to where you come from. Consider how irritating it is to have different pre-req requirements than any other college and having to try to fulfill other college requirements just to have a shot because UC only admits 96 people per year.

7. sanjayp49

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    the best way to get into UK even with a less than stellar background is to do Early Decision when the PharmCAS application open next year.

8. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Early decision definitely helps, a lot of people still get rejected early though.

9. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer
    2+ Year Member

with ED, they are looking for cream of the crop, not a less than stellar background. a less than stellar background gets you dumped into the general pool.

10. MCPharm27

MCPharm27 Pharmacist
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know originally this was the case because of it being the only pharmacy school in the state. With it being a state funded school, they have specific requirements on admissions. Now that Sullivan is open in Louisville (yay!!) I wonder if they will eventually adjust this. I know Sullivan doesn't set specific state requirements, they accept from wherever (but it is a private school also).

11. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer
    2+ Year Member

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up not applying by considering your input.

Hopefully I ended up saving $115 rather than giving up a seat at UK.

My PCAT is good but GPA is **** and I'm an international student (like an Out of Stater but even worse!) so I figured Kentucky would not work out, even though their PharmD/MS Econ appeals to me.

12. CaptainCurl03

CaptainCurl03 Ohio State pharm student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i applied and got in there last year (but declined and am at ohio state now). i didn't like the state or school (first time i'd been). i was an out-of-state applicant, white (yes it def matters), very high gpa and sci gpa, very high pcat, 6+ months pharmacy experience and got my application in around august or september i think. i also did extremely well in the interview while a lot of people bombed.

so, yes you have a chance, but yeah...not much.

good luck