Getting into Med School with a DUI/Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous_42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I begin, I must clarify that I in no way support drinking and driving. Many people die each year from making the poor decision of getting behind the wheel while impaired. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to get home and are not fit to drive, please call a friend, parent, get an Uber, Lyft, or taxi. It may seem expensive at the time but it is the responsible thing to do.

That being said, I do believe in second chances. I got a DUI and looked all over the internet for guidance. Since it is taboo to talk about this when applying to med school, there were not many encouraging postings. Everyone says that your chances are over and they point out your bad judgement. I'm not here to do that. There are many individuals who would make great physicians but they make bad decisions earlier in their life.

My brief story:

I applied to med school broadly 2 years after the incident and got one interview, did not get in. I retook the MCAT and did a postbacc. Managed to increase my MCAT score significantly and got straight A's in my postbacc. 4 years after the incident I applied EARLY at 16 MD schools, got 9 interviews invites, attended 6, got accepted at 5 schools.

How did I do it?

-Talk to one of your letter of recommendation writers about it. I went to one of my professors and came out clean and told them I understand if they don't want to write me a letter. But they did. Not sure if they wrote something about the incident but it doesn't hurt and you would be surprised at the support a professor can bring to it all if they believe in you.

-In your AMCAS make your statement as short as possible while stating your point. I wrote it in 8 short sentences. First 4 were explaining the incident (date, time, probation requirements), next 4 were explaining how this incident did not affect my academics or work and what I learned from my mistake. You do not want to make this too long. The first time I applied, I wrote two paragraphs on how I learned from the incident and I think that just draws their eyes to it more. Do NOT mention it in your personal statement!

-Don't bring it up at the interview unless they ask you. About 50% of the schools I applied to asked me about it, the others did not mention it. If they do ask you, don't try to make an excuse. Although I felt my situation was not particularly fair, I still admitted guilt at the interviews. Tell them how it is not a reflection of who you are today and that you matured a lot in the few years. Stress that it was not ok and that you completely understand why they would be concerned.

There is still hope. Medical school is everything they say it is and more. I know many people will not reply to this post for fear of being exposed but I wanted this to be on the internet for individuals like myself who have a life-long dream but made a mistake. Don't give up!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 27 users
Thanks for sharing your story -- There were several things you did that, I think, contributed to your success and that others in your position should emulate.
  • Time. Your first application cycle was two years later -> no go. But four years later, a very different result. You got older and presumably, also wiser.
  • You used your gap time to substantially improve your qualifications, bringing both a much stronger application and a compelling case for improved character, persistence, determination and resilience. So not just older and wiser - also better.
  • You owned your transgression - no excuses - and kept it short and sweet.
  • And you asked for help from people in a position to give it.
Good lessons OP, and best of luck to you in Med School --

Reactions: 16 users
That's awesome to hear, I actually have a DUI and it will be 9 years from the time I apply next year from the incident. In my state it isn't a felony or a misdemeanor but a traffic violation. I asked the admissions office of a school in my state and they said I shouldn't put it on the application but IF I were to be accepted, there is a form asking if any other information would want to be shared before a background and that would be the space to put it.

This situation gives me stress thinking about it but I'm definitely leaning towards putting it originally on the application. I would have to have an acceptance rescinded if I'm lucky to get one. But that's great congrats and I hope I have the same luck as you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, we're willing to overlook a DUI if it occurred when one was 16-19/20, and the candidate has stayed out of trouble since then, and also owns the problem.

We reject people with multiple DUIs, or recent DUIs.

We also reject people who don't own the transgression ("the cop had it out for me")

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

That's awesome to hear, I actually have a DUI and it will be 9 years from the time I apply next year from the incident. In my state it isn't a felony or a misdemeanor but a traffic violation. I asked the admissions office of a school in my state and they said I shouldn't put it on the application but IF I were to be accepted, there is a form asking if any other information would want to be shared before a background and that would be the space to put it.

This situation gives me stress thinking about it but I'm definitely leaning towards putting it originally on the application. I would have to have an acceptance rescinded if I'm lucky to get one. But that's great congrats and I hope I have the same luck as you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Put it on the application! All the schools I applied to clearly stated that acceptance is contingent on the background check reflecting what you put on your application. You don't want to risk it. I know it's stressful but focus on your strengths. Let them know what you can bring to the table. The DUI is not a reflection of who you are today. Also, I was 21 when I got mine if that gives you any reassurance.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, we're willing to overlook a DUI if it occurred when one was 16-19/20, and the candidate has stayed out of trouble since then, and also ownes the problem.

We reject people with multiple DUIs, or recent DUIs.

We also reject people who don't own the transgression ("the cop had it out for me")

What if you are a non trad who made the terrible decision of getting a DUI in mid 20s. It has been 5 years since. Strong application besides that, Lizzy M 73-75. Is there no chance for redemption? I have been having a lopsided cycle so far, Rejected from 5 DO schools with 1 II DO and 1 II MD.
I applied to DO earlier,so should I just assume it is a difficult path for MD schools since I was complete at MD schools 2 weeks ago. I accept full responsibility for my decision that day and have done so in the app.

Before I begin, I must clarify that I in no way support drinking and driving. Many people die each year from making the poor decision of getting behind the wheel while impaired. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to get home and are not fit to drive, please call a friend, parent, get an Uber, Lyft, or taxi. It may seem expensive at the time but it is the responsible thing to do.

That being said, I do believe in second chances. I got a DUI and looked all over the internet for guidance. Since it is taboo to talk about this when applying to med school, there were not many encouraging postings. Everyone says that your chances are over and they point out your bad judgement. I'm not here to do that. There are many individuals who would make great physicians but they make bad decisions earlier in their life.

My brief story:

I applied to med school broadly 2 years after the incident and got one interview, did not get in. I retook the MCAT and did a postbacc. Managed to increase my MCAT score significantly and got straight A's in my postbacc. 4 years after the incident I applied EARLY at 16 MD schools, got 9 interviews invites, attended 6, got accepted at 5 schools.

How did I do it?

-Talk to one of your letter of recommendation writers about it. I went to one of my professors and came out clean and told them I understand if they don't want to write me a letter. But they did. Not sure if they wrote something about the incident but it doesn't hurt and you would be surprised at the support a professor can bring to it all if they believe in you.

-In your AMCAS make your statement as short as possible while stating your point. I wrote it in 8 short sentences. First 4 were explaining the incident (date, time, probation requirements), next 4 were explaining how this incident did not affect my academics or work and what I learned from my mistake. You do not want to make this too long. The first time I applied, I wrote two paragraphs on how I learned from the incident and I think that just draws their eyes to it more. Do NOT mention it in your personal statement!

-Don't bring it up at the interview unless they ask you. About 50% of the schools I applied to asked me about it, the others did not mention it. If they do ask you, don't try to make an excuse. Although I felt my situation was not particularly fair, I still admitted guilt at the interviews. Tell them how it is not a reflection of who you are today and that you matured a lot in the few years. Stress that it was not ok and that you completely understand why they would be concerned.

There is still hope. Medical school is everything they say it is and more. I know many people will not reply to this post for fear of being exposed but I wanted this to be on the internet for individuals like myself who have a life-long dream but made a mistake. Don't give up!
Thank you for writing this. It gives hope to those who have made mistakes in the past.

The auto-rejects imply something is going on, for sure. It could the later DUI, and perhaps they're figuring that "you should have known better. I'd still expect that you'd be getting more love. Your essays might be poor, or you might have a red flag of a LOR.

What if you are a non trad who made the terrible decision of getting a DUI in mid 20s. It has been 5 years since. Strong application besides that, Lizzy M 73-75. Is there no chance for redemption? I have been having a lopsided cycle so far, Rejected from 5 DO schools with 1 II DO and 1 II MD.
I applied to DO earlier,so should I just assume it is a difficult path for MD schools since I was complete at MD schools 2 weeks ago. I accept full responsibility for my decision that day and have done so in the app.

My brief story:

How did I do it?

Do you reccomend mentioning it on the "would you like the comittee to know anything" or criminal background "explain" part of secondaries? How should that be addressed?

Last edited:
The auto-rejects imply something is going on, for sure. It could the later DUI, and perhaps they're figuring that "you should have known better. I'd still expect that you'd be getting more love. Your essays might be poor, or you might have a red flag of a LOR.
I was await for decision in 30 days* which I take to be a rejection, for schools that have no secondary prompts like lecom and rejected pre-secondary for Kansas. I dont have a DO letter maybe that might be contributing? Whats odd is that I have received two II's from MD schools at this point. My PS is the same, the DO essays may have been under developed since I applied there first. Just more confused than anything.

Do you reccomend mentioning it on the "would you like the comittee to know anything" or criminal background "explain" part of secondaries? How should that be addressed?

I focused on writing about how I would contribute to diversity in the sections where they asked if we wanted the committee to know anything else. Focus on your strengths.

When they asked about my criminal record in secondaries, I just copied and pasted the short description on my AMCAS application and shortened it a bit.

I got interviews at the schools I did this at. Good luck!

My brief story:

How did I do it?

I agree with everything you said and want to share my story as well. I too made a mistake and chose to drive after having consumed alcohol. This happened 2 years ago. I was really upset thinking I would never be given a chance at medical school because of it. I am applying this cycle and have thankfully received 4 interviews. I have been honest and take full responsibility for it. I have been asked about it at all of my open file interviews. I believe when a person genuinely regrets their mistake and has genuinely learned from it that people can see this. I am not writing this to condone breaking the law but because I still feel so badly about my mistake and I am fighting to not let it define me and I aim to instill hope into people who have made similar mistakes so that they will stay on a positive path and not let any negative emotions keep them down. What is done is done and nobody can change that but you can move forward. And to those who have or are thinking about driving after consuming alcohol, please take my advice and do NOT. Call a friend, family, uber or taxi. It really is not worth it and you can not only hurt yourself but other people as well. Please learn from our mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the DUI is from 5 years ago and u have not gotten into trouble since then I honestly don't think it will hold u back. However, for some reason the way you said I "accept" instead of "take" full responsibility for that day , gives me the notion that you don't 100% think it was your fault. I take full 100% responsibility for mine and I believe this shows , because when it's genuine, it's genuine. So I honestly don't think a dui from 5 years ago will hold a person like that back but if a person is blaming others or hasn't truly learned then this will probably show through and could very well hold them back. I'm not trying to judge u at all and maybe it was just a typo but be aware of what you are conveying and if you honestly don't think it was your fault, try to gain some more perspective. Hope that helps.

Hello,

I was charged with a DWAI about a week ago which is a traffic infraction in New York. I have already sent out 23 apps. I have an interview with LECOM today. I plan on fully disclosing everything at all interviews and owning the mistake. I’m a nurse of five years, no previous history or speeding tickets. 3.86 gpa and 504 MCAT. I’m 26 and with a recent offense, I am extremely nervous. Any opinions? Is my career as a potential doctor over?
Thanks,
TG

Hello,

I was charged with a DWAI about a week ago which is a traffic infraction in New York. I have already sent out 23 apps. I have an interview with LECOM today. I plan on fully disclosing everything at all interviews and owning the mistake. I’m a nurse of five years, no previous history or speeding tickets. 3.86 gpa and 504 MCAT. I’m 26 and with a recent offense, I am extremely nervous. Any opinions? Is my career as a potential doctor over?
Thanks,
TG
stop drinking, if I found out you weren't sober I would throw the app out

I personally know somebody who got a DUI a year before his application cycle. He is now a third-year at one of the original 5 DO schools. Don't know any specifics but his stats were just below average. It's not good, but I guess it is possible.

Hello,

Thanks,
TG
Do not disclose anything until you have been convicted. Get a lawyer.

If the DUI is from 5 years ago and u have not gotten into trouble since then I honestly don't think it will hold u back. However, for some reason the way you said I "accept" instead of "take" full responsibility for that day , gives me the notion that you don't 100% think it was your fault. I take full 100% responsibility for mine and I believe this shows , because when it's genuine, it's genuine. So I honestly don't think a dui from 5 years ago will hold a person like that back but if a person is blaming others or hasn't truly learned then this will probably show through and could very well hold them back. I'm not trying to judge u at all and maybe it was just a typo but be aware of what you are conveying and if you honestly don't think it was your fault, try to gain some more perspective. Hope that helps.
Accept vs take responsibility means something different? Not trying to be rude at all, they just sound the same to me.

Hello,

Thanks,
TG
A WEEK AGO???? SERIOUSLY????? I'd love to hear what the adcoms have to say. @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn?

I'd imagine if you don't have it dismissed, it's going to kill you on a background check next spring, unless schools (or Certiphi) don't run DMV reports because they are unaware that DWAIs are not criminal offenses in an at least one state. I would imagine a conviction or plea of no contest during the application cycle would be disqualifying everywhere, regardless of the circumstances.

In New York, driving while impaired is known as a DWAI, or Driving While Ability Impaired. ... However, the BAC level for a DWAI is lower than the Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)charge. Any driver with a BAC of 0.05% to 0.07% is considered legally impaired, and can be charged with a DWAI.

In NY State, a DWAI will never be expunged or sealed. It is a traffic offense that is permanent.

So, good news, bad news. The good news is that it is less than a misdemeanor meaning that it is not something you are obligated to report to the schools to which you've applied. The bad news is that disclosing it, although you are not obligated to do so, may prejudice adcoms against you. If this was a speeding ticket (80 in a 65 zone) would you feel the need to bring it up in the interviews? how is this different?

Reactions: 4 users
After reading this form a few years ago I decided that to attempt going to medical school with a DUI that was 8 years old and expunged when I applied. In California, the offense was a misdemeanor. I have a great GPA, MCAT, 12 great experiences including graduating with high honors from a top US school, and 6 excellent letters of recommendation from research professors and doctors. I disclosed all the information requested in the application to MD schools about the DUI appropriately. After applying to 20 MD programs I only received 1 response for a secondary application from a school that does not perform background checks.

My advice to anyone looking to go to medical school with this on their record, is to make sure to plan for DO school or determine the schools that do not perform background checks through the AAMC MSAR program before deciding on this career path. I don't like to give discouraging advice but this is a negative mark on an application in an extremely competitive field. Make sure to have "backups" and other career paths in mind.
How old were you at the time of the offense?

In New York, driving while impaired is known as a DWAI, or Driving While Ability Impaired. ... However, the BAC level for a DWAI is lower than the Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)charge. Any driver with a BAC of 0.05% to 0.07% is considered legally impaired, and can be charged with a DWAI.

In NY State, a DWAI will never be expunged or sealed. It is a traffic offense that is permanent.

So, good news, bad news. The good news is that it is less than a misdemeanor meaning that it is not something you are obligated to report to the schools to which you've applied. The bad news is that disclosing it, although you are not obligated to do so, may prejudice adcoms against you. If this was a speeding ticket (80 in a 65 zone) would you feel the need to bring it up in the interviews? how is this different?
I guess it's different because it is DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED, and, presumably, involves the same lapse in judgment that adcoms consider so fatal with a DWI. Unless the applicant had a breathalyzer and knowingly got behind the wheel with a 0.05 rather than 0.08, why on earth would you as an adcom draw a distinction between DWAI and DWI?

I think we should all be able to agree that driving while impaired, "ability" or otherwise, is a very different animal from driving above a speed limit. All traffic offenses are not the same. A traffic offense that comes with a minimum $300 fine and 90 day license suspension simply is not comparable to a speeding ticket. That is how it is different! My question is, if it is not brought up in an interview, and comes up on the background check, is the applicant toast, even though it's "only" a traffic offense, because it involves driving while impaired?

I guess it's different because it is DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED, and, presumably, involves the same lapse in judgment that adcoms consider so fatal with a DWI. Unless the applicant had a breathalyzer and knowingly got behind the wheel with a 0.05 rather than 0.08, why on earth would you as an adcom draw a distinction between DWAI and DWI?

I think we should all be able to agree that driving while impaired, "ability" or otherwise, is a very different animal from driving above a speed limit. All traffic offenses are not the same. A traffic offense that comes with a minimum $300 fine and 90 day license suspension simply is not comparable to a speeding ticket. That is how it is different! My question is, if it is not brought up in an interview, and comes up on the background check, is the applicant toast, even though it's "only" a traffic offense, because it involves driving while impaired?

I didn't write the State laws. In most jurisdictions, DWI is a blood alcohol of 0.08 or higher. If it is less than that, you walk away scott free. No lapse in judgement, your metabolism is working and you've metabolized what you consumed such that your blood alcohol is less than the legal limit. Now NYS has said that a blood alcohol that is above a specific target (depending on your age and the type of license you hold) but that is lower than the legal definition of DWI is a traffic offense. It is treated the same way as a speeding ticket in the State of New York so it is obviously that you and the State legislature do not agree on that idea.

Applicants are not required to report traffic offenses. Traffic offenses are not criminal offenses. Ergo, they should not come up in criminal background checks.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I didn't write the State laws. In most jurisdictions, DWI is a blood alcohol of 0.08 or higher. If it is less than that, you walk away scott free. No lapse in judgement, your metabolism is working and you've metabolized what you consumed such that your blood alcohol is less than the legal limit. Now NYS has said that a blood alcohol that is above a specific target (depending on your age and the type of license you hold) but that is lower than the legal definition of DWI is a traffic offense. It is treated the same way as a speeding ticket in the State of New York so it is obviously that you and the State legislature do not agree on that idea.

Applicants are not required to report traffic offenses. Traffic offenses are not criminal offenses. Ergo, they should not come up in criminal background checks.
Actually, I have no issue with the state legislature at all. I was wondering how you would perceive it, and you've given me the answer. So as long as it's below 0.08, schools won't care, even if it comes up in a background check that picks up such traffic offenses? In that case OP has nothing to worry about.

From the AAMC website: "The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the medical schools requesting this report. On the report, history including infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to the applicant but medical schools vary on the content they can and will view."

Actually, I have no issue with the state legislature at all. I was wondering how you would perceive it, and you've given me the answer. So as long as it's below 0.08, schools won't care, even if it comes up in a background check that picks up such traffic offenses? In that case OP has nothing to worry about.

From the AAMC website: "The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the medical schools requesting this report. On the report, history including infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to the applicant but medical schools vary on the content they can and will view."
I don’t review med students but I do review residents. If I heard about it, it would be a massive red flag to me. If you were drinking enough to get alcohol put on your record and were driving bad enough to have earned that interaction with the cop? (Or just unlucky to get caught). I’m going to hold it against you.

maybe you outshine my doubts with people who matter more but I’m gonna be pretty harsh in the resident rank meeting

Reactions: 1 users
After reading this form a few years ago I decided that to attempt going to medical school with a DUI that was 8 years old and expunged when I applied. In California, the offense was a misdemeanor. I have a great GPA, MCAT, 12 great experiences including graduating with high honors from a top US school, and 6 excellent letters of recommendation from research professors and doctors. I disclosed all the information requested in the application to MD schools about the DUI appropriately. After applying to 20 MD programs I only received 1 response for a secondary application from a school that does not perform background checks.

My advice to anyone looking to go to medical school with this on their record, is to make sure to plan for DO school or determine the schools that do not perform background checks through the AAMC MSAR program before deciding on this career path. I don't like to give discouraging advice but this is a negative mark on an application in an extremely competitive field. Make sure to have "backups" and other career paths in mind.
If expunged, I wouldn’t think it necessary to disclose?
Expungement =erased in the eyes of the law.

If it doesn’t legally exist anymore there is nothing to report.

A WEEK AGO???? SERIOUSLY????? I'd love to hear what the adcoms have to say. @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn?

I'd imagine if you don't have it dismissed, it's going to kill you on a background check next spring, unless schools (or Certiphi) don't run DMV reports because they are unaware that DWAIs are not criminal offenses in an at least one state. I would imagine a conviction or plea of no contest during the application cycle would be disqualifying everywhere, regardless of the circumstances.
Two things... it was a year and a week ago (this was an old thread) but always relevant topic.

DWAI or any other infraction that is just a traffic ticket infraction and not a criminal infraction as LizzyM indicates, need not be reported. (DWAI != DUI)

Last edited:
Alas, the person who was cited for DWIA has not been seen here since September of last year so we may never know how the cycle turned out.

Reactions: 4 users
Alas, the person who was cited for DWIA has not been seen here since September of last year so we may never know how the cycle turned out.
Or ... it was a troll?

Hello,

Thanks,
TG
It's safe to guess they got rejected since they haven't logged on since September

I suspect the OP in this thread made the 'Anonymous_42' account just to post this particular account, leaving their 'main' account clean and untarnished.

In the post, they do say that they received 5 acceptances and listed their status as Medical Student -- so a successful cycle. If they're still around, maybe @Anonymous_42 will came back for an update. But their point has been made -- It CAN be done, with time and effort.

How old were you at the time of the offense?

20 was the offense, I had it redacted at 27, and I applied at 29.

I'm going to withdraw my statement because the connection I saw may have been a coincidence.

2 months after applying I received a message AMCAS that there was an error in the reported courses. I've already decided that I will withdraw my application this cycle and will apply again next year.

• Care
I’m a senior 3.82 gpa preparing to take the MCAT in March 2021 and apply to MD schools June. I’m 7 year Army veteran with a Purple Heart. Have over 1k hours of clinical experience and loads of volunteer work. Previously to what I’m about to write I was told I was a shoe in for Md school.

Last week I was charged with a DUI. I’m fairly positive my BAC will come back under (had blood test). But if it doesn’t I’m definitely looking at SIS with no probation at the maximum (in MO means not convicted unless I fail to follow the instructions. ie stay out of trouble, community service etc..).

Serious question... how will the SIS affect medical school applications?

It is possible that charges aren’t even filed for 10 months due to Covid backing the system up. Therefore I wouldn’t actually be charged with anything until after I’ve applied and possibly had interviews.

The other option is I’m charged but I take the SIS which then doesn’t show up on background checks. (No sentence = no record conviction)

I have an attorney all of my information thus far has come from them.

I have learned my lesson from this, I stupidly thought I had waited long enough to drive. Even if I’m under I should have still utilized a ride platform or back up plan. 7 years in the Army you’d think I’d know better. I’m super nervous and fell like the Dumbest Smart person to walk the earth right now.

I’ve already reached out to MODOT to adopt a hwy and give back to the community as a way to give back.

I’m a senior 3.82 gpa preparing to take the MCAT in March 2021 and apply to MD schools June. I’m 7 year Army veteran with a Purple Heart. Have over 1k hours of clinical experience and loads of volunteer work. Previously to what I’m about to write I was told I was a shoe in for Md school.

Last week I was charged with a DUI. I’m fairly positive my BAC will come back under (had blood test). But if it doesn’t I’m definitely looking at SIS with no probation at the maximum (in MO means not convicted unless I fail to follow the instructions. ie stay out of trouble, community service etc..).

Serious question... how will the SIS affect medical school applications?

It is possible that charges aren’t even filed for 10 months due to Covid backing the system up. Therefore I wouldn’t actually be charged with anything until after I’ve applied and possibly had interviews.

The other option is I’m charged but I take the SIS which then doesn’t show up on background checks. (No sentence = no record conviction)

I have an attorney all of my information thus far has come from them.

I have learned my lesson from this, I stupidly thought I had waited long enough to drive. Even if I’m under I should have still utilized a ride platform or back up plan. 7 years in the Army you’d think I’d know better. I’m super nervous and fell like the Dumbest Smart person to walk the earth right now.

I’ve already reached out to MODOT to adopt a hwy and give back to the community as a way to give back.

You might be better served by starting your own thread! This is an old thread and I’m not sure once people realize that they will even get to your post!

My brief story:

How did I do it?

Hi! i know its been a million years since you applied but you do you happen to have an example of what you wrote. I am filling out my applications we speak and am freaking out. I got a DWAI 10 years ago.

I suspect the OP in this thread made the 'Anonymous_42' account just to post this particular account, leaving their 'main' account clean and untarnished.

In the post, they do say that they received 5 acceptances and listed their status as Medical Student -- so a successful cycle. If they're still around, maybe @Anonymous_42 will came back for an update. But their point has been made -- It CAN be done, with time and effort.
Hi, yes I did exactly that. Randomly decided to look back on this post and was surprised to see people still commenting in 2021. Another thing I was worried about at the time was residency applications. Just to update everyone, medical school went really well. I applied the same strategies when applying to residency and got 11 interviews and matched into my #2 rank in my specialty of choice. Intern year is a whole different ball game but I'm thankful everyday to have the privilege to be where I am. I think as more time elapses since the event, it becomes easier to explain how much you have matured over the years. Good luck to everyone applying, it is possible! :)

Reactions: 3 users