Getting into med school with a VERY ugly UG transcript.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newglobe

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first time posting, so apologies if I have put this in the wrong place!

I'm currently an UG student double majoring in Biochemistry/Physics, and I've recently decided that, if I'm able to, I would like to become a surgeon! Key phrase being if I am able to. Unfortunately, my UG transcript is really, really bad. Awful. I'm now set to graduate with a 3.9 GPA, but my first year I:
- Failed Organic Chemistry AND Organic Lab.
- Got a C- in Cell Biology, retook it over the summer and got a D. I later retook it again and got an A.
- Got C's in Physics I and Genetics, though I retook them both and got A's.
- Withdrew from 3 of my classes.

After that I got an A in every single class I took. I managed to bring myself from a 1.89 to a 3.9, but nothing can hide that first year on my transcript. I don't even have a real reason for doing so poorly other than my abysmal mental health at the time, but I don't think that's something adcoms would want to hear.

I'm very happy in academia right now and plan to attend to grad school (maybe twice if I have the money for it) before completing a PhD program. But even after that, would that be enough to make up for my sh***y UG transcript? Everything I've read says that UG transcripts are critically important, and mine is hideous. If I aced every other part of the application-- ECs, essay, letters of recommendation, MCAT, etc-- would I have a reasonable chance of getting into medical school after grad school?

And if not, is there any other route I could take that would allow me to get into med school in the future? Or anything I could do to fix or alleviate this while I'm still in UG?

Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your GPA include any kind of grade replacement or forgiveness, or a “fresh start program”, or did you truly bring your gpa with your bad grades included up to a 3.9?

Reactions: 2 users
Does your GPA include any kind of grade replacement or forgiveness, or a “fresh start program”, or did you truly bring your gpa with your bad grades included up to a 3.9?
It does. I was (fortunately) able use my school's grade forgiveness policy while retaking most of these classes, so the original grade does not count towards my GPA. However, every attempted course and the original grade I earned is still listed on my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that med schools still count the grades you got, they do not factor in grade replacement any more. If you really did get only A's after that and show a great upward trend and kill the MCAT med school is still possible.
read this Goro's guide for reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that med schools still count the grades you got, they do not factor in grade replacement any more. If you really did get only A's after that and show a great upward trend and kill the MCAT med school is still possible.
read this Goro's guide for reinvention
I had no idea med schools didn't factor in grade replacement... ow. But that's good to hear, thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
I had no idea med schools didn't factor in grade replacement... ow. But that's good to hear, thank you so much!

So if you want accurate advice, you’ll need to post your GPA with all the grades factored in.

But don’t give up hope, I re-started college after a multi-year gap with a 0.77 gpa and 1 transfer credit, and I’m a 1st year Med student now.

Reactions: 3 users
So if you want accurate advice, you’ll need to post your GPA with all the grades factored in.

But don’t give up hope, I re-started college after a multi-year gap with a 0.77 gpa and 1 transfer credit, and I’m a 1st year Med student now.
Okay, so I found an AMCAS GPA calculator and put in all my classes: I currently have a 3.62, not counting any post-bac classes I might take. And that's really good to hear! Did you do some sort of forgiveness policy as well? It's a relief to know that there are others with similar situations who made it, congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, so I found an AMCAS GPA calculator and put in all my classes: I currently have a 3.62, not counting any post-bac classes I might take. And that's really good to hear! Did you do some sort of forgiveness policy as well? It's a relief to know that there are others with similar situations who made it, congrats!

I didn’t, because I knew it wouldn’t matter for med school admissions.

You’re in good shape, great job on rebuilding your GPA, plus straight As for long enough to get to a 3.6+ means you should have a very nice upward trend. Keep it up, get a good MCAT score and build some pre-reqs and there’s no reason you shouldn’t get accepted to med school.

I didn’t, because I knew it wouldn’t matter for med school admissions.

You’re in good shape, great job on rebuilding your GPA, plus straight As for long enough to get to a 3.6+ means you should have a very nice upward trend. Keep it up, get a good MCAT score and build some pre-reqs and there’s no reason you shouldn’t get accepted to med school.
Aaaand that just made my day, I seriously thought I was doomed. Thank you so much!

Hello all! This is my first time posting, so apologies if I have put this in the wrong place!

I'm currently an UG student double majoring in Biochemistry/Physics, and I've recently decided that, if I'm able to, I would like to become a surgeon! Key phrase being if I am able to. Unfortunately, my UG transcript is really, really bad. Awful. I'm now set to graduate with a 3.9 GPA, but my first year I:
- Failed Organic Chemistry AND Organic Lab.
- Got a C- in Cell Biology, retook it over the summer and got a D. I later retook it again and got an A.
- Got C's in Physics I and Genetics, though I retook them both and got A's.
- Withdrew from 3 of my classes.

After that I got an A in every single class I took. I managed to bring myself from a 1.89 to a 3.9, but nothing can hide that first year on my transcript. I don't even have a real reason for doing so poorly other than my abysmal mental health at the time, but I don't think that's something adcoms would want to hear.

I'm very happy in academia right now and plan to attend to grad school (maybe twice if I have the money for it) before completing a PhD program. But even after that, would that be enough to make up for my sh***y UG transcript? Everything I've read says that UG transcripts are critically important, and mine is hideous. If I aced every other part of the application-- ECs, essay, letters of recommendation, MCAT, etc-- would I have a reasonable chance of getting into medical school after grad school?

And if not, is there any other route I could take that would allow me to get into med school in the future? Or anything I could do to fix or alleviate this while I'm still in UG?

Thank you so much for your time!
Work on the self-esteem. Rising GPA trends are always good.

Reactions: 3 users