Getting into Neuro with Step 1 of 211

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroguy876

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I attend a US med school, have a 211 on step1, am doing neuro research, but haven't been able to honor any of my 3rd year course exams so far. Do you think that this is a problem in getting into a Univeristy-affiliated Neuro residency program?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Bottom line, You shouldn't have a problem getting most interviews. Do the best you can on step 2 and get some good experience. I had 10 very quality interviews at schools ranging top 15 to top 50 with poorer board scores. The difference for me was my experience in research my electives in stroke, sleep med, genereal neuro and interventional neuro that showed I truly explored neurology. That and the fact that I am a little older than most new residents by about 4-5 years but I thinkthat maturity comes across well in interviews and things like my PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I attend a US med school, have a 211 on step1, am doing neuro research, but haven't been able to honor any of my 3rd year course exams so far. Do you think that this is a problem in getting into a Univeristy-affiliated Neuro residency program?

Thank you very much.

Just matched a university based program in the South with a similar score. You shouldn't have any problems...join your local Neurology interest group, do well in the neuro elective/required rotation at your school, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!

I echo the sentiments above. Apply widely to as many as possible (I wish I heeded this advice myself!)...you would be amazed at how varied the responses you would be getting, such as being rejected by a not-so glorious program and then being asked to interview by hard-to-reach places...
Write a good PS that shows your interest in neurology. Most of the places I interviewed in mentioned that.

good luck:luck:

You will not have a problem.
Express your interest in Neurology.
I would emphasize other parts of your application.
Neurology programs really want people who want to be Neurologists!

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it!

Don't worry about a thing. I got into my #1 choice (a great southern program) with a lower step 1 score. I did rock step 2 though. I didn't have any research experience, as I only became interested in neurology late 3d year.

In my opinion, programs are looking for 4 things:

1. Pass your boards
2. Have a normal personality
3. Have enthusiasm for neurology
4. Work hard

Hi Exgator!
I'm in the exact same boat as you were last year...I have always enjoyed Neuro and had wanted to be a Neurologist prior to medical school but didn't come back to that same sentiment until recently. Now I'm finishing up my 3rd year and face setting up rotations at neuro residencies and do not even know where to really start. I live in the south and would like to stay around this area or go to another big city out of state. Can we maybe chat about your program, what to look for, and what made you decide to rank them first?

Appreciate your time!

If you're a US graduate, speak english clearly, and have a pulse you should have no problems matching into neurology. You might not get the opportunity to go to a well known powerhouse institution, but you will match somewhere.