Getting into OMFS a few years after dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilGPR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who are familiar with OMFS admissions criteria/process...I heard during dental school that a few years spent in private practice may make one a better applicant for OMFS residency and also mask somewhat mediocre grades. How true is that? I am a GPR in the military with 3 more years of military service obligation with mediocre grades. I have been working pretty intimately with the oral surgeons in the GPR program and they have both told me that they would write me very positive recommendations. Any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MilGPR said:
To those who are familiar with OMFS admissions criteria/process...I heard during dental school that a few years spent in private practice may make one a better applicant for OMFS residency and also mask somewhat mediocre grades. How true is that? I am a GPR in the military with 3 more years of military service obligation with mediocre grades. I have been working pretty intimately with the oral surgeons in the GPR program and they have both told me that they would write me very positive recommendations. Any ideas? Thanks!

It depends on which kind of program you want to do. If you want to do a four year you will definitely be helped, I would think, by the experience. If you want to do a six year, the medical school would probably hold you up if you don't have above 90 on boards and a decent class rank. It wouldn't be set in stone for a six year, but it would make it very tough.