Getting into Ortho Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honkaschoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year dental student trying to get into ortho residency program in 2009. Can any ortho resident or ortho resident-to-be give me some insight into how I might increase my chances of getting an interview and, ultimately, getting accepted? My numbers could be better :oops:: NBDE Part I= 89 (new format…5th highest score in class), GPA 3.50, top 25%, multiple research involvement (4 research articles and presented/will present research at IADR, AO, and Hinman meetings). Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

To get into ortho, its a simple formula....just have at least two of the following:

(a) You are that guy in the class that always finishes the test first and gets straight A's

(b) Your Mommy or Daddy is an orthodontist

(c) Your Mommy or Daddy makes a "generous" contribution to the ortho program

(d) You are smoking hot (must be a 10)

(e) You can kiss some serious buttox

If you have any two of these, you should have no problem :D

How big is your class? What school do you go to? How about extracurriculars? How about background? Those are important too. I don't know about that 89, even though I know it is the new format. I am in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
To get into ortho, its a simple formula....just have at least two of the following:

(a) You are that guy in the class that always finishes the test first and gets straight A's

(b) Your Mommy or Daddy is an orthodontist

(c) Your Mommy or Daddy makes a "generous" contribution to the ortho program

(d) You are smoking hot (must be a 10)

(e) You can kiss some serious buttox

If you have any two of these, you should have no problem :D

Unless you want to go to UCLA in which case "C" alone is sufficient :D:laugh:

0wned: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=468026&highlight=UCLA+Ortho

All specialties are difficult to get into, and most candidates applying are qualified. My advice is to get involved with ortho as much as you can. Externships, research in your specialty, and treating patients hands on, all show the department committees that you are serious about becoming an orthodontist. There is a lot of luck involved as well.

Only one warning I would have for you. Ortho programs get loads of applications. Some programs use national board scores as a filtering mechanism. Usually that score starts at 90. I'm not saying all programs have that, but you might want to think about taking the exam one more time to increase your score. Good luck to you.

i'm interested to see how this new NBDE1 format plays out. with scores being so low, the committees will have no choice but to lower the bar for board scores. i haven't heard of anyone in my school getting higher than a 92 with the new format.

NBDE Part I= 89 (new format…5th highest score in class)