Getting into research as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neuropathia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'd like an advice. I'm an IMG currently in my third year of residency at home. In the long run I want to start a residency in the US and I'm currently preparing myself for the USMLE. In the meantime I want to strengthen any future application by doing some ENT research in the states.

I've done some lab based research (3 internation publication as a firts author) but in the field of dermatology and some minor national publications about vertigo (basically just evaluating already collected data).

It doesn't have to be anything really fancy like a postdoc. It would help to get a small salary, but I'm not even too much set on that either. I just need them to sponsor me a visa.

How can I best approach them? Just write to the chairman of the institution? (I have one clinic in my mind, but they don't have any email adresses on their web page). Would a position as a research assitant be a possibilty too?

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.