Getting into residency in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RnGmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of me getting into a residency program here in the US? I finished med school at UST, did my residency in IM and was practicing as an IM since 2000 till I moved to the US on a green card last April. Am planning to go into IM residency again after the USMLE. My uncle, who retired as an FP here in the US says that I may get some credit from having practiced as an IM when i re-do my residency here. How true is that?

I live in Ohio ( if that has anything to do with my chances of getting into residency).

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of me getting into a residency program here in the US? I finished med school at UST, did my residency in IM and was practicing as an IM since 2000 till I moved to the US on a green card last April. Am planning to go into IM residency again after the USMLE. My uncle, who retired as an FP here in the US says that I may get some credit from having practiced as an IM when i re-do my residency here. How true is that?

I live in Ohio ( if that has anything to do with my chances of getting into residency).
I think you still have a good chance matching in IM as long as you apply WIDELY (not just in Ohio). There are so many UST grads practicing as internists all over the US. If you are board-certified in IM in your former country, they usually will give you a one year credit so you might be able to finish in 2 years.

Last edited: