British doctor considering relocation to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackDuck

Reaction score
I graduated from medical school a few years ago; and I have been thinking about whether to relocate to the US soon. The financial situation for a lot of doctors in the UK is not good and whilst it is true that we do work less hours than a doctor in the US, our hourly rate is a joke. There are consultants/attendings who are struggling to just pay off bills and one Consultant Orthopedic surgeon has been forced to buy clothes from charity shops. We have worked incredibly hard to get into medical school, not to mention the grueling 6 years of medical school and then another 10 years to become a consultant in your specialty to be in a position where you are struggling to get by is not what I want for myself. We deserve to be rewarded for our achievements and the tremendous service that we provide to society.

Other factors that have made me consider moving are the slow and inefficient workings of the NHS and the all-time low morale of its staff.

Clearly, moving to another country is a significant decision and one that requires a lot of consideration. My goal is to become a general and bariatric surgeon. I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice of how much you are likely to earn as an attending in this specialty in the US and what the tax situation is like for doctors on this salary? What is the crime/violence situation really like on the ground over there – we read about shootings on a weekly basis without surprise, but do you fear for your safety?

I would particularly be interested in hearing from British doctors who have made the move. What have you noticed are the main differences in working between UK and US? Are you happy with your decision or would you prefer to work in the UK?

Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from medical school a few years ago; and I have been thinking about whether to relocate to the US soon. The financial situation for a lot of doctors in the UK is not good and whilst it is true that we do work less hours than a doctor in the US, our hourly rate is a joke. There are consultants/attendings who are struggling to just pay off bills and one Consultant Orthopedic surgeon has been forced to buy clothes from charity shops. We have worked incredibly hard to get into medical school, not to mention the grueling 6 years of medical school and then another 10 years to become a consultant in your specialty to be in a position where you are struggling to get by is not what I want for myself. We deserve to be rewarded for our achievements and the tremendous service that we provide to society.

Other factors that have made me consider moving are the slow and inefficient workings of the NHS and the all-time low morale of its staff.

Clearly, moving to another country is a significant decision and one that requires a lot of consideration. My goal is to become a general and bariatric surgeon. I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice of how much you are likely to earn as an attending in this specialty in the US and what the tax situation is like for doctors on this salary? What is the crime/violence situation really like on the ground over there – we read about shootings on a weekly basis without surprise, but do you fear for your safety?

I would particularly be interested in hearing from British doctors who have made the move. What have you noticed are the main differences in working between UK and US? Are you happy with your decision or would you prefer to work in the UK?

Many thanks.
I think your best best with the salary is google. I’m internal medicine but I’m sure a full time general surgeon makes at least what I make ($300k), likely $400k +? Jobs also vary by job so some probably make significantly more. Crime rate also varies by state. I’m not a U.S. citizen or American graduate so I can tell you getting into residency training will be challenging but it’s very possible. I believe GS is about 5 years. Good luck

Many thanks.
You said you were a GP? does this mean you have completed your entire training and are a fully qualified GP or are you still in training?

I'm Canadian so I can answer your question about the crime/violence. Its completely overblown, day to day you will not notice a difference. I've come to realize this violence thing is propaganda by our home countries to slow the brain drain.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You said you were a GP? does this mean you have completed your entire training and are a fully qualified GP or are you still in training?

I'm Canadian so I can answer your question about the crime/violence. Its completely overblown, day to day you will not notice a difference. I've come to realize this violence thing is propaganda by our home countries to slow the brain drai

I'm Canadian so I can answer your question about the crime/violence. Its completely overblown, day to day you will not notice a difference. I've come to realize this violence thing is propaganda by our home countries to slow the brain drain.
Are you in Canada?