getting into UCSD with ZERO research experience???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSD obviously provides itself in being a major research instititution and sure enough it is. my question is, "Can I get in with no research experience?"

I saw tons of premeds doing basic science research at my university, but the vast majority did research because it was the premed thing to do and so they spent countless hours in the lab. personally, i'm not interested in research. yes i agree that to advance medicine the research in basic science needs to be done; however, my goal is to excel as a clinician and maybe if in my futureyears of practice I have insight into performing specific clinical research, I will, but right now that's not my interest. Anyway, what do you guys think. Is research almost mandatory nowadays for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine had a similar opinion about doing research, and so instead of forcing herself to do something she didn't like, she just spent a lot more time on something she did like--she volunteered at the same hospital every week for four years. She is an M1 this year, and no med school ever asked her about not having research experience. I think med schools just really want to see that you are committed to something that is important to you.

I'm an undergrad there now and can DEFINITELY attest to it being research oriented. Why exactly do you want to go there if you aren't interested in being part of the research community? There are better schools for primary care... Just the weather?

Members don't see this ad :)
none: I wouldn't base my decision of attending a specific medical school based on the weather. of course, the weather would be an attributing factor for many, but only a side factor. i'm sure you would agree that wanting to go to UCSD soley for the sunny weather would be rather shallow.

I applied to UC San Diego because I want to stay close to my family, I like the idea of being challenged academically, especially since UC San Diego SOM has a reputation for having a more than average challenging curriculum, and because I would be able to communicate with it's Spanish-speaking patient population during the clinical years. The weather never crossed my mind, but as I mentioned I didn't know if UC San Diego was only about research.

Many UCSD med students say the SOM can be a very hostile place, and more rigid in its policies than other med schools. I would definitely check this out (approach random students eating their lunch, not just the ones representing the admissions office) before making your decision.
Best of luck!